Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy Or hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, here goes I'm new to snowheads and a virginposter so please be gentle Laughing . I am thinking of buying myself some new skis, unforunately I only manage to get 1 week per year Sad so don't know if its worth buying new ski's or just renting. I can get some new Rossignol x-fight 400's with bindings for about £100 but can't seem to find any details/reviews on them. I would class myself as a good intermediate/advanced. Most of my skiing is done on piste but do like to venture off now and again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm off to L2A in Feb with wife and 2 kids (8 & 1) so any info on best places to hire would also be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome,
Quote:

I only manage to get 1 week per year

Until you joined this little community that is, one week is never enough in any event, if you hang round here then it won't be an issue...you will be on 2 next season and onwards and upwards till you find yourself the proud owner of a tiny apartment in La Ros Boeuf or Planet X......run for your life (literally!!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowhead.

I would sugest that untill you manage the extra trip renting may be the way to go (esp for 1yr old Toofy Grin ).

But saying that their is nout better than getting use to your own. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
martski is right - I've persuaded my non-skiing hubby we are going to L2A in June as well as my week with mates in Feb, & am working on a late season 3-day break to Tignes too.

Sorry not to answer your question tho!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I often hear people saying that you need to ski 4 or 5 weeks a year to make it viable. I would disagree.

I bought my first pair of skis, Atomic 9.18's, second hand, a couple of years ago for £100. I have skied them for two weeks over two years.Ihave just sold them for £72.50.

I then bought two pairs, brand new from Ski Bilek, kept one pair and sold the other for a profit.I won't go into detail but in effect the pair I have now which are Fischer AMC's stand me
at next to nothing.I have already had one week on them and intend to have another soon.

On our last trip to Sauze, my wife rented a pair of "superior" skis and boots, the skis being Saloman Streetracers and they were gouged and blunt,They cost £85 euros.The shop did sharpen them up when asked, but I did have to ask !

My skis were far superior and as I said, owe me nothing.

I reckon I could sell these next year and make a nice profit and start the process again.

I for one, doubt I will ever rent again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to make things clearer, I have for many years had my own ski's (used to ski a bit more than I do now), so considering changing my aging Volkl's. Wife and 8 year old will hire so still looking for advice on hire shops in L2A.

The Rossi x fight 400's seem a good deal even if I only use them for 2 weeks, so whats the oppinion on these ski's.

Quote:

Until you joined this little community that is, one week is never enough in any event, if you hang round here then it won't be an issue...you will be on 2 next season and onwards and upwards till you find yourself the proud owner of a tiny apartment in La Ros Boeuf or Planet X......run for your life (literally!!)

Martski:- Intend to get a couple of long w/e's in next season as well as the week, just haven't told the handbrake (wife) yet Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied for too many years, sometimes two or three trips a year, and have never bought. My thinking is that when you take into account capital cost, maintenance costs (I wouldn't do it myself, not of the bindings anyway), carriage on at least some airlines and the hassle of schlepping around airports with them, I'm better off renting. Also, I suspect it's a slippery slope (it obviously is from some of the posts on here); once you've bought, you keep wanting to buy the latest kit, especially if you're a bloke, so I suspect that the average working life of a ski is a lot less than it's potential.

Since I've been experienced enough to know, I've never been given a dud pair. You can change them during the hol to try something else or if you want a different type of ski eg for off piste. You may well get a free or discounted place to leave them and your boots o/n (and your walking boots during the day) near the lifts, if you pick a shop near the lifts. I'm sure that you can buy very cheaply if you can be bothered to source cheap stuff and sell them on, but I can't.

Having said that, £100 for a pair of (I assume) new skis and bindings sounds a bargain, if they're right for you. Buy 'em.

Can't help with LDA shops, sorry.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Gregd, welcome to snowHead s.

I agree with martski about the influence of this forum - and therefore would advise buying your own and then learning to service tehm yourself!

WRT LDA, snowHead s has a resident ski instructor there easiski who recommends Jutta at Ski Extreme.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Intend to get a couple of long w/e's in next season as well as the week, just haven't told the handbrake (wife) yet

See! Its happened already, 3hrs 10 mins, close to a record Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gregd, I bought a pair of Rossi x-fight 400 a couple of years ago as a beginner, and they have been fine, and I have had good value from them, however, now as an improving intermediate I need to replace them as they are too soft, and nowhere near grippy enough - so as an advanced/intermediate don't get them. (I rented a pair of Slaomon Equipe SCs to see if it was the skis or my technique at fault, and they really showed up the inadequacies of the X-Fights)

Robin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice so far, so we've established that the xfights aren't really an option and it looks like I'll be taking my old ski's and maybe testing some while I'm out there.

If I did decide to hire for the week would the shop let me try out a few different ski's or would I have to pay extra, forgive my ignorance Embarassed but it's year's since I hired ski's for myself.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're going to buy, then buy some really good skis that you really enjoy skiing on. That doesn't mean paying £400+ full retail, but something like £250 for a mega internet deal or last season's stock. If you buy you should try to gain something from the experience, otherwise you might as well just rent them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gregd wrote:
Thanks for the advice so far, so we've established that the xfights aren't really an option and it looks like I'll be taking my old ski's and maybe testing some while I'm out there.

If I did decide to hire for the week would the shop let me try out a few different ski's or would I have to pay extra, forgive my ignorance Embarassed but it's year's since I hired ski's for myself.

If you go for the top of the range hire option you can chop and change until you're blue in the face, in my experience. Probably not a universal rule, 'though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy