Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Twin Tips for Intermdiate Piste Skiier-HELP!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have skiied for around 18 years on and off. Usually a week or so a year, Although havent skiied for around 3 years. I am now back to a pretty rusty level as you would imagine!

I am 6ft and around 12 1/2 stone.

My question is what kind of twin tips would anyone suggest for me to get? I want to try these new fangled contraptions but am a bit snowed under with the models available! There are so many reviews and all seem to say different things at the moment I am down to the K2 Silencers or Public Enemys, or the Armada El rays or Scott Punishers.

I want them to be pretty versatile and slightly forgiving.

Help Me Please!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What did you like to ski before or what have you skied?

Armarda/Silencer = soft
PE/punisher = stiffer

I'd go for the latter 2 - better construction, a bit more to them.Just to mess about with your reasoning, have you considered the Rossi Bling? A snowHead here bought some recently and the specs look very good - they seem to sit halfway between the 4 you've listed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why are you looking for a twin tip - you describe yourself as an intermediate piste skier. Do you want it for on piste, in the park or all mountain use.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having pointy-uppy bits at each end = max steeziness. Also prevents Parisiens on snowblades from standing on your tails in the lift scrum. Any other considerations are secondary Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I should clarify, they should really be for all mountain use as to begin with I will be getting the technique back on the piste then trying my hand at learning the fun and games of the park etc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and Cunners I fully agree LOL
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If for example i went public enemy route would 159 or 169 be better for all mountain? given that i am 6ft and 12 1/2 stone
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't go shorter than 169. If you're at the lower end of intermediate you might want to consider the 169s, but if you were fairly happy ripping around reds before and you're technique is reasonably solid then the 174s would be a better bet. For your height try to stay upwards of 170, whatever ski you get.

This is based on an assumption about how you ski, mind you. If 170+ sounds a bit fast & unwieldy, go softer flexing rather than shorter - Salomon 180s, for example.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't get twins just to look cool... you'll probably prefer a normal ski Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To be fair I was perfectly happy munching any black and off piste you could feed me, its just now I feel like an elephant on two planks with rubber legs! I guess that ski fitness and a bit of catch up will do the trick!
Perhaps the K2 Silencers would be a good fit given that they apparently have a good deal more flex??!!
Cheers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Volkl Bridge gets a good mention on here when this sort of ski is up for discussion, I intend to dig out a pair for myself in Saalbach in a couple of weeks when I'm there to see if they'll keep me busy for a while.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mmm6 ......just a suggestion for you to look at.......Dynastar Big Trouble twin tips. Slightly unusual shape puts some people off them, but they're massively versatile and should be cheap compared to some. They are wide underfoot, so need to be fairly dynamic on piste and haven't really tried them in park as I can't resist deep stuff when I spot it. The way they're turned up at ends makes them handle like shorter skis on piste, but then full length comes into play in deep stuff. Over last year or so have used them in Austria and France on piste and WHistler and Vail in the deep stuff and backcountry.........can recommend their turning speed for saving you from arguing with a tree trunk. I only take them with me now when heading off ....as don't then need to swap skis for on or off piste. They are quite stiff for an all mountain ski..........but bearing in mind your comment and good deal more flex.......the more flex then the more your leg muscles will take a hammering on piste. I'll still be loving using mine on piste in the trees and off backcountry........well at least until can acquire a pair of Vokl Gotamas without missus noticing !!! Wink Good Luck !
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40229 for answer for park use
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mmm6, Volkl Bridge - very good all mountain ski, bit wider than the British market would generally select for an 'all-round' but it's shape means it has a turn radius of 20m in 177 (this is pretty good for a 92mm waist).
Scott Punisher is basically a twin-tip Mission, this was one of the best recieved/reviewed skis of last year.

Other suggestion = Black Crow Viator 177. New ski company this year, dual sidecut like the Scott skis so very agile on piste but stable and 'floaty' off-piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy