Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

News from Ski Club of Great Britain

Poster: A snowHead
Hang on guys - has anyone ascertained whether or not this ia a denial of access or a technical problem with the SC site? (MAYBE they are installing new forum software??)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think we should keep a level head about this, perhaps they are simply carrying out some system maintenance and haven't put a note out to this effect

(What do I sound like Very Happy )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops Alan, I haven't got the hang of this multipage thing...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and you being a moderator... Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You know what they say, those who can't.......moderate! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm just along to provide healthy roughage Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seems to be back open to members again, maybe they just had a technical blip - all the threads still seem to be there
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, Lawrence, Laura popped up somewhere around here with a message to that effect last night.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark Ogilvie, Council member (and "Royal Navy Commando Pilot") has just stated that he is AGAINST making minutes of Council meetings available to members.

Unbelievable. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely thats unconstitutional for a club?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But standard practice for the military Question
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's no such thing as accountability in the SCGB's Council's opinion. After all, they're voted in by an apathetic membership. Less that 50 from a membership of 27,000 attended the AGM. I sincerely hope the next AGM will be different.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've a feeling it might be Exclamation
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More developments over in Ski Club - I've posted about them on the Thread in the ski=ing forum
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave and Peters comments are breathtaking - how can a club refuse members council minutes. there's an argument that the odd section might be deleted as commercially confidential, but jeez that makes Kim Il Sung look like a great democrat.

Some of you will recall my postings 'in another place' to the effect that someone needs to ask what happens to the chairman's proxies. With a membership of {say} 30k and only 50 attending to vote assuming that the chairman uses proxies as he/she sees fit them they completely control the club.

Perhaps someone might ask the question - how many proxies and how used ?
ski holidays
Hi Arnold – good to have you back.

I don’t think that the Articles of Association permit proxy voting at the AGM, so it should be one vote for each person in attendance. However I will check when I get home tonight.

Latest development over at SCGB is that David G has highlighted one of the new ‘forum chat rules’ that has just appeared, which says:

“Users must not use the forums to make detailed complaints against any individual or organisation”

A fairly lively (although fairly one sided!) debate has just got started between Council members keen to justify this attempt to curtail any criticism of their leadership, and us members keen to remind them of some of the basic principles of democracy.
snow report
I had noticed that nasty little 'rule' - I suppose general complaints are OK ???

There are a few other restrictions some might object to. The new SCGB 'chat guidelines' are however pretty sensible and some of our users might like to take a look.
latest report
Surely you can still praise the club though?

Something along the lines of: "I commend the way SCGB is maintaining its place in the elite end of skiing. I would hate to have common riff-raff coming to the club house, and am personally disgusted at the number of skiers I come across who don't even have an SW postcode! Also, I am happy to admit that the committee clearly know best in terms of the future direction and interests of the club, therefore it makes perfect sense that as many voting rights as possible reside with the present encumbents."
snow conditions
Ouch!
snow report
Sorry - that was actually meant more in jest than as a serious snipe, although it's probably fair to say there are still a minority of people around who maintain those views. Hopefully the efforts of David and other forward-thinking members will change the perception...
snow conditions
Yeah, I know, I should have used one of these... Wink
ski holidays
Having said that, it might be quite interesting/amusing to construct a "joke" letter to SCGB committee along those lines to see what response, if any, it elicits from the club! If it were carefully constructed (not too over the top), it might skip under their WUM* radar.

* Wind-up-merchant
ski holidays
The 2003 report and accounts has a proxy form at the back, made out by default to the chairperson, but with instructions on how to nominate another Council member. It also had a check box to receive the meeting minutes. (I e-mailed asking for the report at the weekend)

I find goings on in SCGB a bit depressing at the moment; they had a nice open forum, which could have done with some improvement, but was fundamentally civilised and highly informative. Now very little but circular bickering is happening on the members only forum Sad
ski holidays
Seems I was quite wrong about proxies. Clause 29 of the Articles provides for every adult member to be able to appoint another adult member to vote as his/her proxy. Appointments of proxies must be received by the Secretary at least 48 hours before the meeting. Doesn't appear to be a limit on the number of members a member may be proxy for, so maybe nothing to stop the chairman 'collecting' multiple proxies and casting multiple proxy votes. I'm sure nobody would be that cynical though! Wink
latest report
Dave as far as I can see the Chair doesn t need to go about trawling for proxies. So long as the form is returned it's prxied to the chair by default {unless you opt out}. As I understand things the ballot is run by E.R.S. - a question for them would surely be how many chairmans proxies are cast compared to what one might call actual votes - a member voting in a specific way for or against a specific issue or candidate. It may be that lets say 50 attend and vote and there are a further 10 proxies in which case.... so what. Conversely there may be 50 voting and 500 proxies which might be a bit more worrying !

The not being nasty clause {Users must not use the forums to make detailed complaints against any individual or organisation} seems brilliantly calculated to produce Kim Il Sung esque endorsements of the club and all it's works. In essence I would be allowed to say that the reps qualification is a joke, but not to explain why........ hmmmmm
snow report
However, as only members can access, no one can be put off joining.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy