Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Private Lessons (Samoens)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

After a LOT of faffing about, I've finally booked our second trip this season and we've ended up in Samoens for 9 full days skiing! It's our first time skiing in France (only Austria til now), first time DIYing, first time in a chalet. Now my thoughts are turning to the lesson side of things.

Up until now I've done 4 weeks of ski-school with varying levels of improvement/satisfaction and have decided based on the general snowhead consensus that private lessons are the way to go. I've read and noted the stuff about getting the most from the instructor thread.

At the moment, I am comfortable on any blue and about 30% of reds - although if pushed (metaphorically) I think I could get down most reds somehow or another (probably not always very enjoyably). My ambition is to feel on reds the way I do on blues. I reckon what is holding me back now is a confidence thing which comes from not feeling like I can control my skis exactly as I would like on steeper, icier or narrower terrain. So (I think!) I need an instructor who is no-nonsense and will get hound me til my technique is right and get me out of my comfort zone.

I don't have bottomless pockets and want to get most bang for my buck lesson-wise by booking in advance etc. I also want to improve as quickly as I can and maximise my time skiing with MrRibena at closer to his (much better) level. What's the best thing to do: 2 hours a day for 3 days - is this enough? Or one hour a day for (say) 5 days? Is one hour worthwhile at all? Or forget booking in advance other than the first day and see how it goes?

All advice welcome.

Thanks
Rebecca

PS If anyone has any recommendations for a ski school or instructor in Samoens, that would be fantastic.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MissRibena, I don't have any personal experience of the ski schools but someone once reccomended 360 to me. If you go to the village website www.samoens.com under skiing and then ski schools there are details of 3 independent schools:- 360; zig-zag and ski sessions as well as esf. Hopefully you can find something of interest to you amongst that lot or someone will be along soon with a personal recommendation.

Steve
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks steve Smile

Any thoughts on an appropriate number / length of lessons?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MissRibena, Try contacting the different schools or the one you fancy and see what's on offer and the cost - do they offer discounts for 5 days or multiple hours? In the past i've done a couple of hours every day and then practised in the afternoon but your learning style or budget may have an influence here. When are you going? -Feb is half term time so unlikely to be able to haggle but outside of this you may be able to 'negotiate'. If it's a quiet period you may be able to try a lesson, see if it's for you and then decide how many hours/ days you want to do and discuss it with your no doubt charming instructor! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have had lessons in Les Carroz from Fred of montagne activities. I thoroughly recommend him and I am sure he could pop over to Samoens or meet you on the top of the hill somewhere. I had one two hour lesson with him on 2 trips last year and that was enough for me, although you might want more, but I found we did enough exercises and technique in 2 hours to last me the rest of the week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
prthomas, thanks so much. It's great to have a name. Our chalet hosts recommended zigzag but they are substantially more expensive than ESF. Having no experience of French skiing it's hard to see what the differences are between one ski school and another. I reckon I'll book at least 2 days x 2 hours (maybe 3 days). We're there for 9 so if I think I'm all over the shop on day 5, i can get more maybe.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MissRibena, would not hesitate to recommend 360 International
http://www.ecoledeski360.com/index.html
Your plan for two or three days x2 hours sounds ideal. We have skied with them a lot (in Les Gets) and they usually reserve 12-2 for private lessons in peak times.
On Saturdays or non-peak they will do other times. Not sure when you are going? Would phone/contact them soon. I'm not sure of the Samoens instructors so can't recommend a specific one, but we have got to know all the Les Gets ones over the years and they are all v good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MissRibena, Lou, Jocelyn is / was running 360 Samoens .. Jerome Chow ( a hounder) et al also work out of there dependent upon need.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MissRibena,

Are you renting skis and boots or have your own?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again everyone. I'll give those guys a shout. Our hosts have recommended zigzagski.com but they don't ski themselves and the referral is based on other guests comments. zigzg seem a bit more expensive than others - not that I'd really care if I was "cured" Smile

Freestyle, we are heading over for 8th to 18th March and we have our own boots but will be renting skis. Have you a recommendation for rental?

Agenterre, I should probably know I'm sure but Jocelyn doesn't ring a bell ...

Rebecca
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy