Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus ?

Poster: A snowHead
cathy, those drops from off-piste to on caught me by surprise a few times too. Luckily survived without too much damage, altho one transition from piste to off under Almbahn resulted in a pretty spectacular wipe out - fortunately into soft deep pow!

And yep, it's hard to beat face shot groomer runs as a warm up at 9am - had those a couple of times. We're were usually on first-ish lift out of Fiss too, esp on snowy days.

OH recovering?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

moved from Sydney to Washington State mainly so we could ski as much as possible

gortonator, now, that's what I call getting your priorities right..! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gortonator wrote:
OH recovering?

Yes thanks, he's still at home with anti-inflammatorys/painkillers for his back - and I can't tell if he's acting any stranger than usual due to the blow to his head.... wink He'll be back at work next week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, latest blog entry and pics on recent Serfaus-Fiss trip - these were the 3 mid-week powder days. Such fun ... I'll have to download stuff off my video camera soon Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great read gortonator!

Funny seeing your photos - we saw those guys in the greatcoats several times!

I see your row of cakes in the restaurant at the top of the Schoenjochbahn......and I raise you one Toofy Grin

Did you see the deer just before you got to the Almbahn?

The view from La Vita bar in Serfaus

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, just for you (only person reading thsi thread, I'm sure!), final installment and pics Smile

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!2548.entry?&_c02_vws=1

a seriously good ski week!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gortonator, not the only one! Very nearly made it to Serfaus this year and definitely trying to get there next year. Both yours and cathy's reports are convincing me even more Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rowlski, well worth it! Which reminds me I must do a trip report sometime soon......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from a week in Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. This was my first time in Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis, for some reason I've completely ignored the place for the last twenty years here in Munich, and only hit on it because of its child friendly hotels! I can only confirm what has been said here already: this place is fantastic! I would rate it up there with St. Anton for sheer variety, and I guess also for size.
Unfortunately I ended up breaking my shoulder on the third day because someone had left a big chunk of wood (part of a piste marker) half buried in the snow on a narrow path connecting the Petzid to the Lazid lift. Never knew what hit me, just suddenly found myself lying on my side in considerable pain! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I can confirm what Cathy said about doctors: they want money, now, as do the pisteurs who rescue you! One X-Ray, one funny bandage and ten minutes with a doctor cost me €444 Shocked
Nonetheless, I can only recommend the area and will definitely be returning. Next time I would not choose a hotel in Ladis though: too far off the main area for my taste. Othe than that it was great!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad to hear you had a good time Steilhang, but ouch - sorry about your shoulder! Bad luck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang, bummer about the shoulder! Ladis looked a lovely town, but I suspect Fiss or Serfaus are better bases. I really enjoyed Fiss, had enough apres for us and pretty good quality restaurants at decent prices. And convenient for some great skiing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, gortonator,

Sounds a very interesting place... An anglo-german colleague goes every year and loves it

I can't seem to find a reference to what Hotels you stayed in - any good?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hotel Belmont in Fiss. excellent rooms, decent breakfast, 150m to gondolas, best restaurant in town across street! Owner was a bit distant but nothing serious wrong with the place, and wireless for 10 euros for a week makes up for that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, we stayed in Haus Komperdell in Serfaus http://www.haus-komperdell.at/index_en.html . It was absolutely fine - nice friendly family run and sufficient English spoken to be understood together with my limited German. We stayed B&B, the room was very large, with separate toilet & bathroom (with bath). Inner door shutting off the bedroom from the bathroom, which I like as it means there's two doors between the bedroom and the hotel corridor. Good location on the Dorfbahnstrasse, exactly mid-way between the two stops of the Kirche and Raika on the Dorfbahn http://www.funimag.com/funimag13/serfaus01.htm . Serfaus is mainly traffic-free - if you are staying there you are allowed to drive your car to your hotel/apartment on the day you arrive. You can't drive around the town for shopping etc but you can drive your car out of the town for an excursion. They do have police on the street stopping & checking cars. You have to have your Visitor's Card with you (hotel registration card). This Visitor's Card is also valid for a lift-pass discount - about 25 Euros discount for the week, not bad! Very Happy

We went with Inghams. It was the first year they've gone there & Serfaus doesn't seem to be in their Early Bird for next year. Perhaps it will appear later on or perhaps they're not going to continue there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really can't understand why this resort gets so completely ignored by Brit operators Puzzled
I suspect it may be the fact that they don't go much for the crazy apres scene (thank God) when compared to St.Anton or Ischgl. But for those who are into skiing rather than dancing on tables to awful music this has to be one of the best places in the world!
In the week we were there I don't think I heard a single English voice, other than that of the Australian lady who organises the kids ski school up at Sonnenburg. Strangely enough the place was crawling with Luxemburgers!
ski holidays
Well, despite Serfaus not appearing on their Early Bird website pages for next year, I've just been informed by Inghams that they are offering it as a destination for 09/10. You have to search on the Availability Search on the right of the page and it is there as an option http://www.inghams.co.uk/earlybird/index.aspx
ski holidays
gortonator, cathy, thanks...
snow conditions
cathy, thabnks for that, but I may give the Schalber's Spa Hotel a miss at FROM £2753 from Newcastle for half term.........per person!!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, cheapskate wink Just think of all the moans you could have for that! Toofy Grin
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Haus Komperdell where cathy stayed shows as 72€ a night for a nice single room with a balcony - that better? Very Happy
latest report
And just booked again for next year snowHead snowHead The OH wants to get his own back on that patch of slope wink Toofy Grin
latest report
cathy, I presume that you are going off peak sometime? I have been looking for accommodation in Serfaus and Fiss for the past couple of weeks for 3 families over half term and quite literally, everything with extra bedrooms for kids are already fully booked - apartments, hotels - everything. Every reply I get is the same "sorry - fully booked that week". Sad Oh, the tourist office managed to find something for me - just one property - an apartment for €3,500 for the week per family. And that's just for the apartment - nothing else! Shocked Most other things start at that price and go up for a family of four. Credit crunch? It's obviously a very popular resort for wealthy families...
latest report
Tatty, oh dear, what a shame Sad

But yes, it is an expensive resort - for wealthy Germans by the looks of it! I've looked at our hotel for that week and they only have one room available through Inghams - and that's £1,200 each B&B!
ski holidays
The Hotel Belmont in Fiss was 1000 Euros total for 2 a week in March this year - 4 stars, 150m to gondola, B&B. We never go near tour operators and just book independently. This wasn't school holidays though, I guess.
snow conditions
gortonator, I contacted The Belmont on your recommendation earlier up in the thread - fully booked so they put me on to their sister hotel The Albarella which unfortunately only had two suitable rooms, but at €2,500 per family just for the room! It's the closest we have got so far, but thanks for the suggestion.
snow report
Tatty, wow - it must be a popular week indeed
snow report
Just got a box of Tyrolean jam and honey from the Serfaus lift company Very Happy
They wrote me a note saying that they were sorry I had broken my shoulder on their pistes and that this should serve to cheer me up a bit. Nice gesture!

That's a first for me. Anyone ever had something like from any other ski area?
ski holidays
Steilhang, oooh - we're waiting for ours then! Very Happy Very Happy Perhaps I could put in a request for some nice choccies instead? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Ladis is a cheaper alternative to Serfaus and Fiss, but is less well linked into the ski area. Its an idea if anyone really fancies the ski area but doesnt want to pay the prices of Serfaus.
snow conditions
oasis13 wrote:
I think Ladis is a cheaper alternative to Serfaus and Fiss, but is less well linked into the ski area. Its an idea if anyone really fancies the ski area but doesnt want to pay the prices of Serfaus.

yep - it's only a short gondola ride to the base of Fiss, so certainly not a massive hardship. Looks a nice town too
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
Just got a box of Tyrolean jam and honey from the Serfaus lift company Very Happy
They wrote me a note saying that they were sorry I had broken my shoulder on their pistes and that this should serve to cheer me up a bit. Nice gesture!

nice touch, altho I'm kinda happier that I've so far kept my body in tact and foregone receiving such gifts!
snow conditions
gortonator wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

nice touch, altho I'm kinda happier that I've so far kept my body in tact and foregone receiving such gifts!
Can't disagree with that! But having been unfortunate enough to break things in Kitzbühel, Kleinwalsertal and Serfaus ( at various stages of my career ), I can say that this is the first time someone has thought to send me a wee prezzie to make me feel better. Clever really. It's made me feel a whole lot more positive about them!
snow report
Thanks for all the feedback in this thread. Sounds like a great destination for some instruction-focused weeks that skimottaret and I are planning for next season. If anyone else has accommodation reviews or recommendations we'd be really keen to see them.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I've got a big brochure thingy produced by the tourist office with all the accommodation etc shown and maps of the villages. I'll bring that with me next week to Hemel if you think it would be useful and haven't already got it.

I think it really would be a great area for an instruction week as there is such a variety of skiing available snowHead
snow report
cathy, Is there a website with the thingy produced by the tourist office with all the accommodation etc shown and maps of the villages?! for Serfaus
snow report
pembsflyer, ha ha! Yes, as it goes there is, although it doesn't look like they have next winters up there http://en.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/prospekte/
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
rob@rar, I've got a big brochure thingy produced by the tourist office with all the accommodation etc shown and maps of the villages. I'll bring that with me next week to Hemel if you think it would be useful and haven't already got it.

I think it really would be a great area for an instruction week as there is such a variety of skiing available snowHead

Yes please, that would be helpful. We might be out there the week that you are due to be there in March, so if you were interested in a snowHeads course and we could rustle up some interest that would be great...
ski holidays
rob@rar, 2nd week in March? Oooh - party time!! snowHead snowHead I mean, good to see there'll be some solid sober instruction going on....

For the Out part in Serfaus, will it just be a Learn to Ski course or more 'advanced' (comparatively speaking wink ) as well?

Wish I hadn't booked ItS course now in Jan - I can't spend ALL next year having lessons, or perhaps I should! Anyway, there's more chance of getting the two I mentioned to you previously on board with your inside/out skiing if we'll be there as well on the Out. The OH could also do with some technique lessons - he gets down anything but thats down to good balance, lack of fear and copying others. He doesn't 'do' lessons. I think he might like bumps or off-piste lessons but I don't know if he'd want to do a whole week of it. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how your plans progress Very Happy .
ski holidays
cathy, yes, that's one of the dates we have as a possibility. We're trying to get everything confirmed, but it's a slow process as we need t talk to the local ski school, tourist office, different accommodation options, transfer companies, etc. What we hope to run is a morning (or afternoon) session for our beginners that we've taught at Hemel, then the other session would be for good recreational skiers like we've had coming to the one-day clinics over the last week. We'll post firm plans as soon as we have them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy