Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shalli in Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I can't believe my week here is nearly over... very sad to think that I'll be back in the office in 3.5 days.

Ah well, one more day of brilliant conditions and endless piste and unlimited powder.

We've had an awesome week. The 2 girls (total beginners) have been in the wars somewhat, but have learned to get down prettymuch any blue, although linking turns without acquiring a new injury is still on the edge of what's possible.

Jules (our resident expert) has fallen about once a day (compares well to about 1 every 15 minutes for me). His bails are usually while practicing riding switch down Cascades (black mogul run) or something equally stupid. At any rate, riding with him has forced me to push my limits to keep up with him (or try).

A usual day has involved a couple of hours of practice/instruction from me and Jules to the girls, then they go off on their own for a bit (and usually end up in the jacuzzi or a bar by about 2-3pm) and me and Jules tend to then cover major ground and catch the last possible lifts. I've covered so much ground I feel like I'm moving even when I'm sitting still, and I've got my carving from 'shaky' to 'pretty tight'. Oh, what I could achieve in a season. I made it from the top of the Caron cablecar down to the Cairn/Caron base station in about 3 minutes, which required top-speed (for me) non-stop no-stacking-it riding. I also chucked myself 30ft horizontal and 15ft vertical down off a lip into about 6ft of powder. I didn't land it or anything, but we all had a good laugh and I got to feel what serious air feels like.

Yesterday, we did our longest route yet... A few laps of Plan d'eau lift, then across the valley, Plein Sud to Bouquet up to the top, down into Les Menuires, then various reds and lifts (spending a lot of our time offpiste) until we made it to Roc des 3 Marches, then down into Meribel for a bit, then back down Mariel and Plein Sud for a well-earned beer. I reckon 30-something km, but not sure.

Not last, and not least, I also met up with snojito and johnnyboy in the Frog & Roastbeef, and kudos to them (as well as the very charming Ms. S) for being good company and excellent people to have a beer with. I hope jb's trousers have dried out by now... Blush

One more epic day tomorrow. Plan is to do the Fourth Valley. We'll be looking to try the silly things we've held off from for fear of injury (like chucking ourselves more than about 3ft in the air, my one huuuuge leap notwithstanding). I have partial video footage of my leap of faith, btw, and will post it on my return. It's pretty funny if I do say so myself... but hopefully we'll have some pics and videos with some style and achievement to them as well.

So, I will sign off now (using the wifi in the Bowling/Sports Bar, 20€ for the week)... I'll have a quick go at posting some pics. My own webhosting space is down at the mo as I forgot to change the details when my bank card changed, ooops. If not, I'll sort it when I'm back in sunny England.

If you haven't been up here, you should!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shallimus, Sounds like your having a blast ! Make sure you do load the vids/ pictures.

I'm off on Sat morning NehNeh NehNeh snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shallimus, sounds excellent, can't wait to see the pics! The stuff off both sides of Moraine (the blue above the knife and fork restuarant) is good fun and might be untaxing enough for your beginners at the end of the week too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shallimus! Hey buddy, glad to hear you're enjoying it Very Happy When we left on Sunday afternoon I was thinking how good the conditions looked and I'm pleased (and of course slightly but pleasantly envious) that they've held out for you. You're covering a lot more ground than we did - in the heavy snow on Saturday I think it took us four hours to ride five lifts Shocked

That black Cascades run was hilarious -- in the thick snow no-one could see the moguls and the fresh powder everywhere meant people were bombing it through the flattish bit at the top, only to take off when they hit the first bump and disappear in an explosion of icing sugar Twisted Evil

Swirly, we did Moraine on Saturday in near-zero visibility and there were massive piles of wind-blown powder, which of course you couldn't see, all over the piste -- pretty tricky in those conditions but beautiful, I would have thought, if you could see.

and Debbi, honestly guys, the powder on Sunday was the best I've ever ridden, and if it's anything like it up in Tignes then you two are in for a proper treat! snowHead

Shallimus, Jodes sends her fond regards as well. Maybe we should catch up sometime once you're back in the S-dub? (oh, and they've announced Glade dates for this year Toofy Grin )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shallimus, a great and mouth watering report. I am not a boarder but for me it makes no difference who I slide around with on the hill. Try not to break anything today
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
perhaps i can teach you how to snowboard as long as you wear complete gear like snowboarding hats ok?

Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy