Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

up and down

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Returning to Skiing after 10 years (reasonable intermediate). The last skiing I did was on long narrow skis. The question I have is about the up and down motion now I will be using shorter more contoured skis; Do you move in the same way?

On the longer narrower skis, I used to rise up, to initiate the turn while un-weighting the ski’s before the (skid) turn commenced, then down again. Once you have stopped turning, my ski’s would be traversing, but perhaps still sliding sideways (down the hill).

I tried out shorter fatter ski’s at the Snowdome, and was expecting the turns to be tracking without skidding, however, I was still un-weighting the ski’s, and the turns were still skidding.

When watching some clips of skiing on internet sites, it looked like the skiers were more compressed in the turn.

It is probable that my technique / memory of ten years ago is just plain wrong.

Can someone talk me through the whole turn on shorter fatter ski’s.

Regards

Stephen
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stephen, one of the most valuable BzK resources I have ever seen starts here:

Meat and Potatoes, Part 1. If you can work through to part 4, the rest is...

Meat and Potatoes, Part 2
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, but there is more MUCH more Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
little tiger, part 2 is spot on to what the OP is asking about, IMHO, though it continues into

Meat and Potatoes, Part 3

beyond that, self discovery is a viable option, IMHO, and there might be a fair bit of work needed to be ready for

Meat and Potatoes, Part 4
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, Do you think M&P parts 1-4 should perhaps be added to the glossary thread so it could be a sticky with the rest of the good data that's in there?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, How do you think the author may feel about that given what has happened?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger, he posted in a forum whose T&Cs are quite clear. If he careshe can edit his posts as other posters have done in the past. Do you have something positive to offer the poor chap who started this thread asking for genuine advice. He has not posted here that often and does not deserve to have his thread diverted this way.

ringingmaster, you seem to be describing a technique which would have generated skid turns then, and will generate them now. People still weight and unweight, but ankle flexion, angulation and leg steering etc are talked about... but I would either get lessons or a Warren Smith DVD and learn from watching. Please ignore any residual unpleasantness above.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother wrote:
but I would either get lessons

I'd agree with the suggestion to seek help from suitably trained professionals. ISIA level would be a good start if he does not know of any particular person.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster, I would agree with little tiger on this one. I am not sure that after a 10 year break, learning these essentially kinaesthetic/visual skills on an internet forum is helpful. I think words alone can be great for fine tuning and for moving things forwards later. I am not an instructor btw.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, yes hence my comment that there is MUCH MORE. Fastman writes very well on this stuff... but I think even he would agree that writing is better than nothing, but still a relatively limited communication method for this stuff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Please could someone else post some advice on this thread... I am not sure it has been very useful for ringingmaster yet...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster wrote:

I'm not an expert, and this will be a description worth tearing apart by others, but in simple terms:

If you're making a left turn - i.e. facing across the slope to the right , turning, and ending up facing across the slope to the left - then:
1. Tilt both skis onto their left edges.
2. Push down, mainly on your right ski.
3. Keep pushing down, mainly on the right ski.
4. Once you're facing left (or have slowed down as much as you want to - you might want to go up hill a bit to kill some speed) then flatten both skis.

It's that simple (in my mind).

Flattening the skis can be done in a variety of ways, depending on how fast you're going, if you're just making 1 turn, or a series, and I'm sure other reasons.
(you're now in the situation where you are facing across the slope)
If you're going slowly, and your body is pretty close to perpendicular to the skis/slope, then you can flatten the skis by rolling your ankles over.
If you're going fast or doing a series of linked turns, then your body may well be up the slope from the skis, and then to flatten them, you can move your body so that it is heading down the slope from them. Your skis are facing across the slope, and you move your body down the slope. That then gets them going through flat and onto the new edges to make the next turn.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
It's that simple (in my mind).

I'd just like to quote myself here, and elaborate.
It's that simple in my mind, but getting my body to do it can be a bit of a bother. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, thanks for the links. I read the first two, and I will read again, until I understand.

Wear The Fox Hat Thanks for having a go at describing the turn is a simple way, it makes a lot of sense.

I have lessons booked for the three days I am out there, and I have also booked a couple of lessons at the snowdome over the next few weeks.

I am by nature an analytical person and certainly in other sports I have benefited enormously from understanding what I am trying to achieve.

I appreciate that perhaps I was expecting too much from my first couple of hours recreation at the snowdome after 10 years. I am also aware that my technique always was quite poor but I am determined to change this.

I will let you know how I get on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, please report back on the lessons at the snowdome - I'm considering booking some myself before I go to L2A.
ski holidays
Quote:

please report back on the lessons at the snowdome

On the quality of the lessons, that should have said.
latest report
Find a slope on which you are comfortable to head straight down the fall line with skis parallel and at natural hip width apart, nice flexed stance. Allow yourself to build up a bit of speed and then abduct the inside leg on whichever side you are intending to turn - i.e. if intending to tun left move the left leg outwards so as to tip that ski onto its outside edge. The right leg/ski will want to come with it fractionally later, so let it wink I take no responsibility for what happens if you don't allow the right leg to come along for the ride Laughing Allow both legs to move freely and independently of the upper body - you have joints at the hip Toofy Grin Keep the ankles flexed and try managing the pressure on each ski on different runs in different ways to feel its effects - i.e. vary pressure ratio on inside/outside skis, and whether it's forward, centre, tail just to see what happens.
Once you are comfortable with the feeling of these turns with (we trust) minimal skidding, you should find linking them comes quite easily.
Maybe a somewhat more powerful movement than the "ankle rolling" mentioned by wtfh, but certainly a way of demonstrating to yourself how modern skis will work for you Cool
snow conditions
ringingmaster,
Quote:

1. Skis parallel, Feet Hip width apart, Hips centred over feet.
2. Release pressure on downhill leg, allowing Hip to start moving forward & downhill across feet. Steer old downhill
ski Knee in new turn direction.
3. Pole plant
4. When you feel that both skis are flat, extend and apply pressure on old uphill ski as the edge change takes place
( extending too early before the ski has started rolling, means that the old uphill edge would be pressured, rather
than the new edge.)
5. Steer both skis though the fall line.
6. Progressive Flexion to absorb pressure build up under skis.
7. Repeat.

Much easier to describe with added Demo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy