Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee ligament injury more common in inexperienced or unfit skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ACL injury
New research has shown that tears of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the knee are about twenty times more common in recreational Alpine skiers than in expert skiers. US researchers pooled the results from 33 studies dealing with ACL tears. They looked at the injury in terms of sport, gender and training. They also found that ACL tears were more common in recreational skiers than in basketball, soccer and lacrosse players. ...Interestingly, they found that the rate of tears was the same in male and female skiers, which is unusual. Most research has found the injury is generally more common in women.

Citation: Prodromos CC et al. A meta-analysis of the incidence of anterior cruciate ligament tears as a function of gender, sport, and a knee injury-reduction regimen. Arthroscopy 2007; 23: 1320-5.

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18063176?ordinalpos=3&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

A BBC report today has also highlighted the risk of skiing and knee injuries. Steve Bollen, president of the British Orthopaedic Sports Trauma Association, has claimed that a boom in short skiing holidays abroad is leading to a rapid increase in knee injuries.

He blames poor fitness among beginners, describing many of the serious ligament injuries he sees as "half-term syndrome".

Mr Bollen, an orthopaedic surgeon at Bradford Royal Infirmary, has conducted a study of more than 200 patients with ACL or medial ligament injuries in his clinic. He found that, while rugby and football were still the biggest culprits, the percentage of such injuries linked to skiing had soared from 9% in 1994 to 28% in 2004. More than nine out of ten of the injured skiers were women.

Background information

The anterior cruciate ligament is in the centre of the knee joint and controls rotation. It is, therefore, vulnerable to excessive twisting movements. It can also be injured when there is a large sideways movements of the joint. Such movements will initially injure the ligaments on the inside (medial collateral ligament, MCL) or outside (lateral collateral ligament, LCL) of the joint but, as the joint opens out excessively, the ACL can also be torn.

Not surprisingly, the common sports that produce this injury are football, rugby, skiing, basketball and netball. Women are generally at greater risk than men; the cause for this is not completely understood, but it may be due to differences in anatomy and muscular function.

Typically, when the ACL is ruptured, there is a feeling or hearing of a pop or snap, or something tearing when the knee undergoes a twisting movement while running or landing from a jump, or if there is a blow from the side of the knee. It is not usually possible to carry on after the injury, and if it is, the knee will soon collapse. The knee then swells within 4 hours. The swelling then takes a couple of weeks to settle and a return to activity is possible, but only in straight lines. If an attempt to change direction at speed is made, the knee feels as if it comes apart.

Damage to the ligaments that hold the knee together can require surgery to repair, and if left untreated, can cause irreparable damage to the joint.

Link to British Orthopaedic Sports trauma Association article on ACL injury: http://www.bosta.ac.uk/article.asp?article=20

BBC report discussed in the Piste: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=823360#823360

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 14-01-08 15:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found this quote a bit odd:

Mr Bollen wrote:

Skiing is a strange sport which requires no intrinsic strength or skill
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's logical, expert skiers by definition are better skiers and don't fall all about the place. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lets state the obvious Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What i am interested in is - do I get a brace to keep my replacement ACL intact ?
There is research that says I should. My surgeon also said theres no point.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I ruptured my right knee ACL playing footy 15 years ago, i have never had trouble skiing but always had a knee brace. I think its helps me to know i am supporting then knee. When i have forgotten it i do not ski as well. To anyone who thinks rupturing you ACL is not a big thing i can tell you its the most painfull exsperience i have ever gone through and would not wish it on anyone. In fact i wished i had broken my leg than do in the knee, the bones repair but my knee will never be the same after all the ops i have had.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lampbus,

I ruptured my ACL PCL and medial ligs in 1999 and had successful reconstructive surgery - I was told by my surgeon that I could play rugby again and there was no need for a knee support.

2 points

(1) cost of op £5000+ and a bit of an inconvenience to run the risk of a repeat (but poss £ signs for consultant if so)

(2) all surgeons reckon what they have done is perfect - its human nature- all I can say is that since the op I have skied always with a Titanium reinforced brace but on one day (and one day only) forgot to put the brace on. No real prob skiing but I had el fresco snow packs on my pumkin sized knee all night to get the swelling down.

In summary the support avoids unnecessary pressure, avoids swelling and gives me the confidence to push harder and takes away that feeling of dread.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy