Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for something new?

Poster: A snowHead
The only resorts I have skied for years are Les Gets and Morzine. Even then I don’t get much time on the slopes in as I end up working on any trips out to France – yes, poor me. :(

I have realised that the way to ski and relax in the mountains is to go on a ski holiday! Genius...

Can anyone suggest a resort I might enjoy as a fairly strong intermediate skier who wants a bit of scenery and decent lunch stops as well as a good mix of reds and the occasional black. Would like the kind of charm that LG and Morzine have rather than a high altitude purpose built lump. Will probably only manage to get about 4 days in so no need for a vast ski area. Skiing with mates rather than family.

No bothered which country it is in but looking at Europe and transfers under 2 hours (or somewhere relatively painless to get to with a hire car).

Top tips please!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Clusaz would fit your bill...easy trip from Geneva, lots of excellent reds, nice traditional French village rather than a purpose built monster. Apres ski is limited so if that's what you and your mates like then it might not be for you....

Edit: ....and I forgot to add - Fabulous scenery.

(sorry to disappoint Guvnor)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could work - went there about 15 years ago and seem to recall a nice mix of skiing + a bit of charm. With mates but not really a jolly boys outing as we're all unfit dads with little or no energy. Wouldn't mind something a bit further away from my usual haunts though ... c'mon snowHeads!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Europe is indeed your oyster if you only ever skiied one ski area!!

I'd suggest you try one of the larger resorts, just to compare, something like

Val D'Isere (probably a bit nicer to stay in than Tignes)
La Tania - get's you into the whole Courchevel area, prob no need for a 3v pass
Les Deux Alpes
Alpe D'Huez - stay in Vaujany if you want a more "authentic" Alpine village
Les Carroz to get you into the Grande Massif ski area

and of coure, La Rosiere (there you go Guv)

Or try some of the quieter resorts (if apres isn't your thing) like Gressoney

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, ta very much. Like the aound of both Vaujany and La Rosiere. Any good accom options in either of those?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt ticks the scenery box in spades, and I'd have thought the skiing requirements (I've only skied there once, many years ago). Misses the 2 hours or less transfer box, but the train trip from GVA is very enjoyable and stress free.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only ever stayed with Ski Peak in Vuajany on a last minute holiday, but had no problems with them, good food, wine etc

http://www.skipeak.com/

I've never been to La Ros, however I will be there this Easter with tracksvacations who post on here.

Also how about Serre Chevalier??

regards,

greg
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ctskifam, Have you considered La Rosiere it has a fantastic snow record and lower prices than the nearby French Mega resorts there are somew excellent on pistes restarants plus yu can ski iover to Italy for lunch as well.
Some friends have opened probably the best penthouse chalet in the resort
Details here http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/catered_chalets/larosierelr.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guvnor, wink Laughing Sorry to take so long had just popped out to Tesco's
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
get a map of the alps, close your eyes and stab the map with your finger and then go there. You could always fly into Turin or one of the milan airports and sample some italian skiing.

or... go to the snow reports page and take a look at the serre chevalier thread and see if you like the look of that.
snow report
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, is this commission you're getting good then ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, ah, applying science to the process, I like it!
I'll have a nose at options in La Ros, Vaujany & Zermatt. Can you get the train to Zermatt from GVA?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ctskifam wrote:

Can anyone suggest a resort I might enjoy as a fairly strong intermediate skier who wants a bit of scenery

Best to forget France.

Switzerland is your best bet.

Try Zermatt or Wengen.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ctskifam, I'm going to copy a post I made yesterday:

eng_ch wrote:
I have to stick my oar in here for Flims/Laax.
- the resort specifically targets boarders, there are several parks, only a couple of bad drag lifts, rest is mostly chairs, only one longish flat run that I can think of off the top of my head, just as good for skiers though, ideal for intermediates and upwards, loads of off piste and back country if you're into that sort of thing
- second largest linked ski area in CH at 220 km
- lots of accommodation in Laax Murschetg right by the lifts, quite a lot around the lifts in Flims too, but some Flims accommodation is further away requiring a bus ride - most of the hotels in Flims Waldhaus run shuttles to and from the slopes though. Apartments can be booked via the resort web site (centralised for all the agents)
- apres is what you make of it really - plenty of bars, both quiet and hopping, good restaurants etc, small beer typically around CHF 4.00ish, if you're into the party scene, the Riders Palace in Laax Murschetg is one of the leading venues for miles around. Unlike France, the prices don't increase with altitude Wink
- Easyjet fly to Zurich from Luton, Ryanair to Friedrichshafen and the resort runs airport shuttles to both airports, alternatively public transport from ZRH is really easy, transfers in the region of 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Swiss often have decent prices from Heathrow, London City, Birmingham, Manchester

Allow for bias, of course Wink

It's not the most chocolate-boxy place on earth, but the villages are perfectly pleasant: otoh the mountain scenery is imo gorgeous . some December pics here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/skilaax/LaaxMidDecember2007/photo#s5144920323427095362

And resort web site:

www.laax.com

When are you thinking of going and how many will you be?
latest report
Laax

a shade over an hour from Zurich

Austria - ski amade

and yes Zermatt would be good, easy in car but 3hours + 10min train. yes you can get a train there but 2 changes i think - but swiss trains arnt like british ones so thats no hassle
ski holidays
eng_ch, you turned me cold with the "specifically targets boarders" bit I'm afraid!
latest report
eng_ch, Falera is very chocolate box...
latest report
Everybody should go to Chamonix for skiing at least once in their life....
snow report
Trenmold, after many years of pottering when I have an hour or two spare I don't think I'd be able to make the most of Cham. Next time.
ski holidays
ctskifam, borders all stay in the snowpark...

and if you're sharing a 5km run with ONLY ONE other person who cares how deviant they are...
ski holidays
ctskifam, yes, but I was writing to a boader then - it's well big enough to get away from them Wink In fact, the fact there are lots of parks means there are usually fewer of them trying to tricks on and beside the piste

hobbiteater, true. I meant it's not as obvoiusly chocolate box as, say, Grimentz, but then it's a world away from the monstrosities of some French resorts too. They are working villages
ski holidays
Have had a quick butchers at the Laax info and does look like a contender. Thanks for all the info.
latest report
Bad Gastein would probably fit that bill.

Good for intermediates, stunning scenery, great food stops en route, just over an hour from Salzburg …. You can end your day’s skiing with the customary ‘bath and beer’ at one of the spas! wink snowHead

Go to http://en.skigastein.com for more info. I've also noticed they're building a brand new cable car in Bad Gastein for next year!!! Cool
ski holidays
ctskifam, You are probably needing to treat yourself to a new pair of properly fitted ski boots, so a holiday in Chamonix and a visit to http://www.foot-works.fr/ will be ideal Very Happy If you want the personal service of smallzookeeper be sure to book!
latest report
Thanks boredsurfin, kitenski, - I knew you wouldn't let me down wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ctskifam, as as already been mentioned La Rosiere would fit the the bill for you. In terms of doing something different, have breakfast in France, lunch in Italy and dinner back in France, the ski area is split between France and Italy. go kite skiing or boarding, one of the first kite-skiing/boarding schools is here, go heli-skiing, La Rosiere is the only resort in France with heli-skiing in its ski domain. The scenary is stunning, some of the best views in the Alps, the village is friendly, there are some of the best lunchstops anywhere in the Alps and depending on when you want to travel we could have accomodation for you. You can check out our chalet on www.tracksvacations.com where you'll also find links to the tourist office and ski domain, it's about a 2 hour transfer from Chambery airport.
latest report
ctskifam, Ste Foy.

Even if you are not drawn to the off piste you can at least wreck the powder and clog the slopes for Guvnor, Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Hey!! What did I do? wink
ski holidays
ctskifam, Megève ticks all your boxes.
ski holidays
laundryman, will I have to learn to play polo and call my mates Olly (really loudly) regardless of their actual names? I do like the look of the place, have driven through a couple of times and heard good things.
David@traxvax, thanks - will have a look at your site. La Rosiere is a front runner at the mo.
ski holidays
ctskifam, From www.http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/catered_chalets/pentchaletlr.html
Quote:
6 en-suite luxury bedrooms sleeping 12 adults and 2 children
Massive living/dining area
Outside Hot tub
Floor to ceiling picture windows on two sides
200m from lifts and ice skating rink
Real fireplace
TV with Sky TV, DVD and CD player
Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin, so good there isn't much availability! Will punt the many options to the chaps and see what pops out as the favourite.
Thanks again for the ideas.
latest report
boredsurfin - Purveyor of the finest pork and ham, meat based products Laughing

ctskifam, if it is a "boys" trip then La Rosiere has very limites Apres Ski.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
Quote:
For our luxury catered holidays we have probably the best chalet in La Rosière

As ctskifam has observed the best quality doesn't really need pork products Laughing
snow conditions
ctskifam, Megève is dominated by French skiers, followed by English families. Far more hoorays in Courchevel 1850 (unless they've recently been displaced by the Russians!). I've never been embarassed by fellow Brits in Megève. Don't know what others think of me though. wink
snow conditions
Get out of France Try Austria or Switzerland. Zermatt is the one of the greatest resorts in the world for a reason! I am just back from Sallbach loads of choice great snow and a pretty Village. You could try Hintertux to? Or for somthing very diffrent the Dolmites?
snow report
The Dolomites, a short transfer from Innsbruck or if you go to Arabba or Cortina maybe 2hr from Venice. For chocolate box I'd suggest Ortisei, amazing restaurants on the slopes and in the village, amazing food and good prices. The skiing is good and the scenery is out of this world.

Bad Gastein isn't bad either although the stepness of the town can be annoying.

Zermatt is very pretty also.

But I'd suggest you break out of France, there is a world of skiing beyond that, all things Germanic is my favourite for mountain charm, good skiing and good prices - Germany, Austria or Sud Tirol in Italy are my favourites.
snow report
Keen to get out of France - will make it more like a holiday for me too. Hadn't heard of Ortisei - will have a look into it.
Thanks
latest report
ctskifam, Ortisei is one of the villages in Val Gardena, was there for the first time over New Year (I have some photos and video on this site in the Piste section), loved it, you can find out more at www.valgardena.it. It's not far off the autostrada so no real mountain roads to deal with, a fairly good train/bus connection as close to the main North/South train line that runs through the Alps. Not that many English speakers there but most can speak some English, not the liveliest apres ski but as I said some very good restaurants.

Actually as you are in the UK you could fly to Verona which makes it a shorter trip than Milan or Venice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy