Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jump turns - how to do them?

Poster: A snowHead
I tried my best to develop jump turns last week in Tignes, following technique i'd studied on the Warren Smith Lesson 2 DVD - freeride and steeps.

He suggests pulling back with the heels when upweighting the skis to go from edge to edge - thus lifting the ski tails across the slope.

I tried this on a range of terrain and always found it awkward and difficult.

I would very much like to perfect quick jump turns for steep narrow terrain off piste ... that scary first turn over the edge!

Can anyone help? Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found it a lot easier to do on steep terrain. Also found that you really have to pump the legs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Practice on smallish moguls - falling off the back of a mogul is easier on the legs than repeated jumping and as long as it's not a full on mogul field you'll be able to use the same mid air pivot/edge on landing technique.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
you need a really good aggressive downhill pole plant. If I get that and the heels right I am away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BrightonSki, As above advice + the gem I got was not to try and jump all the way round (ie. dont try and jump 180 degrees), instead unweight skis and hop into the fall-line (about 90 degrees), land, edge check and repeat. This is an efficient way to do short swing (jump turns), because you are not knackering yourself - giving you more control on the way down the pitch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hire an instructor and learn on snow, not via DVDs or dodgy internet forums Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BrightonSki the trick here is the landing absorbingt he impact properly by sinking into the boots and flexing the knees. Gives you much more control and sets you up for the next turn when you get it right you will be able to almost stand still. Make sure you finish the turns. Best to practice on the total flat and work up .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can use the ski by banging in the turn and use the rebound to get the skis in the air or you can start by jumping the tips round off moguls as that does most of the job for you...

You can bunny hop the tails or you can kick off the uphill ski... I'd start by flicking them round off smalls bumps as mentioned above.

Weight is key as you will not be able to do them in the back seat....so pole plant, edge set and bring them round.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cunners wrote:
Practice on smallish moguls - falling off the back of a mogul is easier on the legs than repeated jumping and as long as it's not a full on mogul field you'll be able to use the same mid air pivot/edge on landing technique.

I'm just a novice at moguls but thats how I ski them aim for the top of one then turn Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the tips. I'm already profficient jumping round off the top of moguls, but just can't seem to get the knack on flat terrain. I've not tried on steeper slopes than blue/red runs yet either.

I think I may need to get more explosive spring in the legs going edge to edge ... any tips on achieving this? Do I need to work on my leg strength (not normally an issue as i'm a keen mountain biker) or is it a technique issue again?

rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BrightonSki, The steeper the easier I find...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BrightonSki wrote:

I think I may need to get more explosive spring in the legs going edge to edge ... any tips on achieving this? Do I need to work on my leg strength (not normally an issue as i'm a keen mountain biker) or is it a technique issue again?

:roll:

Get a better preload of the body with a more agressive pole plant more downhill of your edges.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BrightonSki wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I'm already profficient jumping round off the top of moguls, but just can't seem to get the knack on flat terrain. I've not tried on steeper slopes than blue/red runs yet either.
:

I think if you can jump off the top of mogul, you should be able to jump from slope of similar steepness (as the downhill side of the mogul).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On steeper slopes, kind of visualise keeping your tips in contact with the snow as you make the turn ie you're just skipping the tails round after you've pole planted/edge set - you just rebound from the edge-set (like a spring) rather than having to make a jump which takes a lot of effort.
Unfortunately if you're trying to do this on flatter terrain you don't get this rebound effect, and have to put a lot more effort in Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geoffers wrote:
On steeper slopes, kind of visualise keeping your tips in contact with the snow as you make the turn ie you're just skipping the tails round after you've pole planted/edge set - you just rebound from the edge-set (like a spring) rather than having to make a jump which takes a lot of effort.
Unfortunately if you're trying to do this on flatter terrain you don't get this rebound effect, and have to put a lot more effort in Sad

I think I may actually be trying to jump too much by the sound of it. I naturally spring from edge to edge but it just doesn't feel like my ski tails are leaving the ground.
snow conditions
Brighton Ski, You dont want to be springing to much like a jack in the box just enough clearence to swing the tails around. When I started doing these there was alot of daylight between me and the snow but as time has gone on the gap is now just enough for Indiana to reach back and grab his hat Very Happy
ski holidays
BrightonSki, Use you uphill ski to press with - not the downhill... to start the jump/hop. Works a treat.
latest report
Thanks Ski, i'll bear that in mind.
snow conditions
Reading these post, I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong. Puzzled

I tend to put a fair amount of weight on the downhill pole and kind of "pole vault" myself down the hill. And because my left arm is a lot weaker than my right, I even push on BOTH poles to get some my feet off the ground when I need to turn right (left pole on the bottom).
snow report
The pole is more of a pivot aid
ski holidays
I've bought 5cm longer poles to aid my pole planting.
snow report
Haven't got time to go into this fully here (there's quite alot to jump turns done well) however:

If you get the timing of all the moves right you don't need to jump high, but timing only comes with practise.

Only aim to jump 90 degs to begin with to avoid over rotation, once you get the hang of this you can aim for more.

Pivot point right under the foot. ie jump the tips round as far as you try to jump the tails round...it's all about swing weight: if you are trying to jump the tails round the pivot point is near the front of the ski so you have to jump your whole body round the arc...needs lots of energy. Pivot point under foot minimises the distance the body has to travelas it pivots on itself hence MUCH less energy required.

As per someone above get a lesson with someone who knows their stuff. Much easier to explain & show at the same time...

Oh and practise on a steep slope (ideally short with a safe run out) it is much easier...jump turns on a flat slope just don't really work.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
..jump turns on a flat slope just don't really work.

latest report
Offpisteskiing, that sounds interesting about the pivot point and makes sense. Thanks. Smile
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, thanks - I will think more about where the pivot point is.
latest report
as per others... dont attempt to jump a full 180, push off the uphill ski, practice on a groomed black slope first and see if you can jump down a very narrow corridor before taking into variable snow, get some rythym and dont stop moving
latest report
Will give it a go Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy