Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowboarding in Borovets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
first time on here as it my first trip snowboarding!
I'v booked a trip to borovets (staying in the samakov) for a weeks snowboarding at the beginning of march and I was just after any advice really. I am quite aware that borovets is cheap for a reason and I'm expecting big ques, basic equipment, basic but edible grub and a bit in your face locals! I just wondered if there is any other advice that folks can offer about the do's and don'ts of borovets. I'd also like to know if there are any good off piest places to head for (secret spots! Shocked )
I've been to glenshee a couple of times a few years ago so I think as long as there some decent snow and I'm not grinding on rocks ever few metres It'l probaly be an improvement for me!

cheers

t
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mystyc79, The only big queue that you may get is at the gondola first thing. If the queue is back to the road take a horse cart to the Yastrebets chair lift, it will cost a couple of quid but give you an extra hours boarding. The locals are fine and not pushy. If you require any lessons the Ski School at the Samakov will charge you £60 (negotiable) for three x 2 hours tuition in a small if not exclusive lesson group, ask for Lexie, he is a good coach. My daughter went over to the dark side last year and will be there again in three weeks. The food in the bars is better than the hotels and not expensive, booze is cheap too. There is plenty of off piste skiing but I couldn't recommend a particular area as it ain't my thing. The only thing I have found out to look for off piste are the twigs sticking out of the snow at the top of the mountain, they tend to be the tops of trees and not very forgiving if you hit them. Have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers for the reply mate, I'll look out for said 'twigs' sticking out of the snow Shocked

t
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Family and I were in Boro last week and stayed at the Samokov.

If you are first time boarding Im presuming that you will be having instruction? If you are using the Samokov Ski school (in the basement of the hotel) then try and get hold of a boarding instructor called Bobby. The best instructor bar none in the resort.

Conditions are great at the moment. Prices have increased by around 25% on last year which is a shame but if you fancy simple food, cheap beer and a good sing song head for the Alpina bar. Very small bar / restaurant but Aimee and Arie will look after you. Large beer in the Alpina is 1Lev during Happy Hour and 1.8Lev outside of Happy Hour. The rest of the resort averages 3.5 to 4Lev for a large beer.

There is a holiday report and loads of other info here...

http://www.skidvd.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6260

You will have a great time Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thats a nice report I shall take the tips on board!
probelm is now I'm gatting excited and its still 6 weeks to go!

cheers
t
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Avoid 10 Welsh lads a stag bash
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pistes are a bit limited, but it's a lot of fun. The locals are generally fine, although be prepared to fear for your life if you take a car taxi (as opposed to horse taxi, which is a more peaceful experience).

For the best conditions, my advice would be to head straight up the gondola to the Markudjik area, which is the highest. For beginners or early intermediates there's a great blue run just below the gondola on the Markudjik side (but watch the poma lift here... with a takeoff speed of 4.5m/s it's fairly lethal and not to be messed with unless you're confident on normal poma lifts). There is some decent off-pisting to be had beyond this in between the reds and blacks.

Avoid the bottom of the Yastrebetz area if at all possible... it's quite possible to end up in the middle of nowhere with no lift in sight (but usually a helpful taxi or two willing to take your money to get you back to a lift). It can also get very icy here. Last point to remember is that the quality of local skiers can vary - some are amazing, but if you get there on Saturday, watch out for local menaces with no talent who will like as not ski right into you - I speak from bitter personal experience. Avoid the green tracks across the mountain (if you're boarding, at least) as this is where these threats to life and limb congregate.

Hotel food may be better in the Samokov (not sure) but in general it's fairly dire (and I speak as someone who spent 10 years in boarding school, so I'm not fussy!)

Have a good time Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy