Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race camps.

Poster: A snowHead
A certain well known instructor has told me that if I want to improve my piste skiing anymore then I really need to race gates. I'm not sure whether I fancy a week in spandex sliding around on ice, impaling myself on poles. Also it would necessitate some investment in some 'proper' skis.

What do people think? Are they fun, or is it full of geeks? A worthwhile way to spend some time, or am I better saving my money to go off piste across the pond?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Off piste across the pond or guiding is cash better spent in my book. Of course race training would appear to be a damn good investment too - just depends on how you want to get your kicks. I've noticed however that sHs who get the gate bug rarely restrict themselves to one pair of skis plus there's the tuning etc etc.

Ask yourself why do you want to improve your piste skiing? wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Ask yourself why do you want to improve your piste skiing?

Good question! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, You don't need to wear Spandex to slide around on ice and impale yourself on a pole . . . but it will improve your skiing beyond your measure . . . you could have joined us at the PSB wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I enjoy doing race training (but that's not a surprise to you) and I would agree with easiski. I've not noticed a higher rate of geekiness when I've done a bit of race training when compared to other types of ski instruction I've had. You don't need a catsuit; most people don't. You can hire a pair of GS skis (although kiwi1 has some great prices at the moment Wink). The term is "gates" not "poles" Wink

I think it's a fallacy that race training only improves on-piste skiing. It uses the same core technique as any other kind of skiing, albeit honing one method of steering skis more than the others. Balance, timing, pressure control, commitment, rate of transition, etc, etc will all be tested when you ski gates. Skiing gates will brutally expose any weaknesses in your skiing, and therefore is a great way to force you to deal with those weaknesses. My skiing has improved a lot in the last three or four years (on piste and off), and the race training I've done has been the major factor in that improvement. Without doubt skiing gates is the most demanding skiing that I've ever done, and if you want to improve isn't testing yourself a good thing to do? It's also interesting to be able to benchmark your performance against genuinely good skiers (it's the reason why I would never describe myself as an 'expert').

The race training for punters takes place mainly pre-season (in Europe at least, not sure about North America), so if you're able to add an extra week to your skiing calendar it doesn't have to be at the "expense" of off-piste skiing later in the season.

The only downside is that you will take a bit of (good-natured) stick when it comes to participating in the EOSB Race Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, Worth it. Not full of geeks. Fun too. Improves your offpiste skiing as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd do it if I had the time and it didn't interfere with other (ie off piste) skiing. So if you can afford a week's holiday in early summer/autumn, go for it. What little race training I have done was a lot of fun even if watching the video afterwards was a bit ugly Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will probably help you a lot.

I believe a certain skier with large number of WC podiums may be running coaching sessions next season in partnership with my instructor. THAT would be well worth a week of ski time I think!!! I would even consider the trip from down under for that opportunity.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It has always got in the way of what I really what to ski. I am not against it for any other reason but time....you can say the same about lessons, IMV
I tried some gates but you can't do it half-heartedly as you have to attack and commit as those bloody hurt as you hit them.
It would be another set of kit to carry ( you defo need it ) and I am always looking around at things we'd like to get to...imagine being stuck in gates on a blue-bird powder day....

Of course, it can improve your skiing......just as getting out there and doing it will do so... you need to spend time in the enviroment you enjoy most.

Horses for courses
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have to admit that i reluctantly headed into GS gates as part of the Eurotest - was a die-hard bumps and off-piste lover (with a touch of the old school about my skiing), but will agree with everything said - it will fastrack your understanding of how to ski well. It will strip back all the nonsense (if you get a good coach - eg. Dave Morris, Podium) and teach you how to stand on your skis properly and get performance from your skis - a real refreshing thought believe me - after passing my ISIA and then spending 2 days in Tignes being told I wasn't standing on the ski properly was a humbling, yet fundamentally worthwhile experience.

And JT, I have never enjoyed my off-piste skiing more - just the lines I take may be a bit bigger and faster.

But it is a long road - expensive and incredibly frustrating for the first few weeks - but you guys are snowheads because you're addicted to skiing and snow - get into the gates Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, you're taking the Bash races waaaaaay too seriously.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I want to go on a race camp myself though Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would add to my earlier post that if I had unlimted time & cash I would on it like a shot. Spending time in the gates on a day when its not shaking elsewhere would seem to be time well spent.

It is always really obvious when you ski with people who have had race training when younger as they operate at a different pace.

If its an either/or decision that becomes more difficult.

I'd certainly be interested in an entry level race camp mid summer maybe 3 days over a weekend - does anyone offer these? I'd also need some burlier boots I suspect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Kramer, you're taking the Bash races waaaaaay too seriously.

See!

Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, We were never goint to beat you. The only suggestion in the camp for victory, was that we would try the "mind game" approach. I suspect this was your downfall wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Skiing as best you can is much better than coming first, for the EOSB at least.

dg3 got it right IMO:
Quote:
it will fastrack your understanding of how to ski well. It will strip back all the nonsense (if you get a good coach - eg. Dave Morris, Podium) and teach you how to stand on your skis properly and get performance from your skis - a real refreshing thought believe me - after passing my ISIA and then spending 2 days in Tignes being told I wasn't standing on the ski properly was a humbling, yet fundamentally worthwhile experience.
snow report
Check out Dave Murray Ski Camps in Whistler. Pretty much the perfect balance of gates, technique, and off piste stuff to show you how (as pointed out above) gate training is good for there too. The coaches are without exception outstanding, and though there to teach you something, haven't forgotten you are on holiday.
I did a couple of seasons worth and it completely transformed my skiing (must have been pretty awful to start with!! wink )
snow report
Can you bet on the EoSB race? That would be interesting, and if it was a handicap it would be even better!
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
It is always really obvious when you ski with people who have had race training when younger as they operate at a different pace.
Even a slow old f*rt like me operates at a different pace after a bit of race training. It's not so much speed as control of it that dictates that higher pace.

Arno, I've emailed Anna to ask if that tape is available yet Very Happy It may have been ugly at the start but we all looked (and were) much improved at the end of it. Fingers x'd, I'll be spending a couple more days with her before the EOSB. . . for the ski instruction only Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Masque, i reckon Anna can not only ski but also run faster than you wink
snow conditions
Arno, She can probably do a lot of things faster, better and for longer than any of us Embarassed
snow report
Kramer, I don't know where you live but perhaps you could have a go at race training on indoor snow (or even plastic!) before committing to a race camp in europe. Most slopes have a specific evening for race training and it seems to be a sociable affair judging from what goes on at Hemel.
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
Check out Dave Murray Ski Camps in Whistler. Pretty much the perfect balance of gates, technique, and off piste stuff to show you how (as pointed out above) gate training is good for there too. The coaches are without exception outstanding, and though there to teach you something, haven't forgotten you are on holiday.
I did a couple of seasons worth and it completely transformed my skiing (must have been pretty awful to start with!! wink )

Been there, done that. Must have been the only person who saw his own ar$e because there was too much snow to do gates.
latest report
Kramer, Best thing I have ever done for my skiing even had a guy in his 60 in our group who said he hasnt seen any improvment in years and after 6 race training he couldnt belive the diffrence in his carving.
ski holidays
Kramer, tempted?
snow conditions
Wahey... men in lycra...bring it on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mouth, any man, or are you more discerning than that? Wink
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Mouth, any man, or are you more discerning than that? Wink

Extremely discerning yes. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mouth, alas!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy