Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you hear skier/boarder behind you?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got wiped out by a snowboarder from behind last year, I was doing a nice lazy long carve on an easy red, and he just went straight into me. One dislocated and broken shoulder. Yes I did hear him, but it was way too late and that noise now makes me shudder........................
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apparently boarders have a blind-side, so that's all right then Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, That sounds nasty, are you recovered sufficiently to enjoy this years season?
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
No

they can't get close enough Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year I deliberately hit the deck several times on a snowboard to avoid strings of 4 year olds - but given that I only board on easy slopes, I find I can now generally manage to control my direction and speed well enough to avoid doing so. But I wouldn't hesitate if I thought I was going to hit someone and I think I'd do the same on skis. However, round here, I have practically never seen a collision, and never a nasty one. It's not crowded, most piste users are either competent, or cautious, or both, and there are no package tour heros. Just mad kamikaze British pensioners on snowboards.... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Hi, Yes recovered enough to attempt gates again,...so i must be ok! (and the snow was super over christmas). It just i now really tense up when i hear that noise, but i suppose it will fade with time and memory........ anyway more sliding this weekend...yipppee Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Being almost deaf in one ear and not too clever in the other, I have no directional hearing..so I would stand a chance.

Please bear this in mind should you see an ungainly, overwieght, 6'5" grey haired wannabee intermediate, wearing black gear..bright red boots and hire skis fumbling away beneath you on the run.
I hear someone in full braking mode (not sure what that sounds like, but I'll make assumptions) I'm gonna curl up into a little (I wish) ball and hope for the best.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I heard a skier behind me yesterday. I was straight running through about 6" of powder on a piste - when I looked round I realised I had heard my own skis. Felt a bit of a twit!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can generally sense when someone is close behind, especially the tell tale sound of scraping snowboards on hardpack. If I hear that noise I accelerate and stay on a tight line. Then take a glance behind to see what was there. I've never been hit from behind using this tactic, but then I generally ski pretty quick so rarely get overtaken.

As for crashing into skiers/boarders in front, I've never done that either. I always give plenty of room when overtaking and give boarders a particularly wide berth when passing on their blindside. I also ski within my own ability, which I think is the key. You see so many intermediates who are keen to ski/board much faster than is safe for their ability. If you can't stop or at least change direction almost instantly, then you're going too fast. Simple as that. Young inexperienced snowboarders seem to be the worst offenders in this respect.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I can generally sense when someone is close behind, especially the tell tale sound of scraping snowboards on hardpack.

Most often when I "sense" (hear) that is when I was slowing down to wait for others in the group, or ready for a rest/photo moment.

Quote:

I've never been hit from behind using this tactic

I've done that "accelerate and stay on a tight line" thing (actually added a slight turn away) and found the source of the sound came through where I was before. So I felt I might have avoided a collision by speeding away. Or maybe only made myself feel better. Toofy Grin

Don't think I've ever hit anyone since I got out of snowplough mode. Yes, I did my share of plowing (slowly) into a group of beginers on the nursery slope and causing a domino effect. Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy