Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you hear skier/boarder behind you?

Poster: A snowHead
Further, can you do anything even if you do hear them coming?

Quote:
Quote:
i would be worried about not being able to hear a skier or snowboarder coming behind me and blowing me out.

this is a misplaced fear. Even for experienced skiers, if some out of control person suddenly swooshes down behind you, you hardly have a chance to look, judge their line, judge what evasive tactics they might be about to do, and adjust your own course. A wiser course of action is to try to stick to your own line, turning in a predictable sort of manner.

My experience is actually different. I've had more than one time when I heard that BIG scraping noise approaching me from behind, a sign of someone trying to do a panic stop. I was able to turn AWAY from the direction of travel of that noise, and narrowly missed being hit.

What's your experience?

Are you simply "worried" about not being able to hear skiers/boarders from behind but were not sure it makes any difference? Or did you avoid at least one collision because you "heard it coming"?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Two points of view as a snowboarder...

1. If I'm about to cause an accident (very very rarely) then I make sure I make as much noise as possible, shouting if applicable Cool

2. I usually have an awareness of whats behind me to some respect, but that's the advantage of standing sideways! Little Angel

joe
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I usually find a shout of 'look out - mad english woman' usually suffices Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski so fast that there will never be anyone coming up behind you. Easy. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I listen to death metal on continuous loop through my very powerful headphones. I find that this combined with my consistent mach speed strafes of the slopes ensures that I am very rarely bothered by other piste users.

wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very rare a snowboarder can sneak up on me Smile

In the unlikely event of hearing that scraping sound approaching, just point tips straight down the hill for a little while then vere off to the side Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
I listen to death metal on continuous loop through my very powerful headphones. I find that this combined with my consistent mach speed strafes of the slopes ensures that I am very rarely bothered by other piste users.

Likewise but with a combination of strong weed so even if I do get bothered I don't notice it. Madeye-Smiley

If you can hear a scraping sound then the person behind has at least seen you, talking from experience it's the ones you don't hear that are the ones that really mangle you up. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

In the unlikely event of hearing that scraping sound approaching, just point tips straight down the hill for a little while then vere off to the side

That's what I do actually! Smile

That is, I do actually HEAR them coming.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like joe1978 says, as a boarder you do have a degree of leeway in that it's easier to cast an eye behind you.

That said, I can't think of an occasion that I've had the ability and split second thinking to move out of the way of someone who's motoring - they're usually on you before you know it. Mind you, I've only had a few crashes and they were my fault. Lots of noise was made and seeing as they were typical novice crashes, there wasn't much speed and only my ego was bruised.

Mind you, I did take out a group of skiers standing around the ESF meeting point in Belle Plagne when a three-year-old on a sled totalled me. it was all "Awww, poor little child" for the kiddie and scowls of disgust that a boarder should darken these skiers' door!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman wrote:
Mind you, I did take out a group of skiers standing around the ESF meeting point in Belle Plagne when a three-year-old on a sled totalled me. it was all "Awww, poor little child" for the kiddie and scowls of disgust that a boarder should darken these skiers' door!!!

That's 10 points per ski school atendee and 50 points for the insructor (cause they're usually nimble)...Ladies and gentleman we have a new winner!!!!!!!!!!

Laughing Laughing

Joe
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my most dangerous moment a shout of 'look out mad english woman' shifted all people that I could have taken out - I was then just left to take out the kinder lift Embarassed

I must admit that I tend to rely on vision - I have a good look before I set off so that to begin with I've got a rough idea of where people are, then I guess I use as many senses as I can and duck and or stop if I can when I suddenly here a swoosh that sounds too close.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, if you're out of control and in danger of charging into other people do you think that falling over before you hit anyone is a better approach than shouting at them to get out of the way?

The worst collisions I see (fortunately rare) seem to be a combination of the uphill skier/boarder not leaving enough room and the downhill skier/boarder making a sudden and erratic move. It's a bad combination which can end in tears.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Luckily I haven't been in that situation since I've taken up this skiing lark again over the last couple of years. Do you fall over before hit someone is an interesting notion. I guess it depends on time - shouting could easily be sufficient for people to take sufficient avoiding action, particularly if you are already trying to go one way and they manage to go the other. Could I fall on purpose given sufficient time is a good thought - I don't know if I could fall on purpose and if so how to manage the manouvre safely. Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I'd rather take a tactical fall than plough into a group of kids standing in a ski school line. I think shouting at people to get them to move out of the way because you are in danger of losing control is (a) unlikely to allow people enough time to move, and (b) very poor manners! As the uphill skier it is your responsibility not to crash into people below you. Bellowing at them to move is not, IMO, an acceptable means of keeping out of their way.

If you do want to take a tactical fall (I took several today rather than crash into trees) fall onto your hip/side, you'll soon come to a stop.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, I think Megamum maybe moving slow enough for other people to move out of her way? Smile

Once beyond snowplough, I think one is better to move across the hill or attempt to stop to avoid hitting anyone. Falling as an alternative way of stopping works well for snowplougher on blue/green, but less well at red or above.
ski holidays
abc, yes, falling is my last option not my first.

Regardless of how slow or fast you are skiing I don't think it is appropriate to yell at people to get out of the way. If someone yelled at me or any class I was with sharp words would be exchanged.
ski holidays
I've been taken out by a boarder and by a skier twice, once from each. On both occasions there was no warning, no scraping, just my feet taken out from under me.

Both of them were relative beginners out of control. There was no warning and no noise. So whilst i'm sure on occasion hearing things helps, not being able to hear won't always prevent a crash.

I'd just still rather hear what's going on around me though and wouldn't want to ski with earphones in.
snow report
I agree that it is bad form to crash into people, but I don't think it is necessarily classes of skiers that are the ones at risk - they at least move in a reasonably predictable pattern once they move off.

As a learner what bothers me is having a line giving me plenty of space worked out to avoid someone who may be going slower than me (and occasionally this now starts to be the case Toofy Grin ) and then having to quickly change my mind because some idiot is about to scythe past me taking up the very line I'd intended to use. It's a bit like those drivers on the motorway who don't watch all the traffic around them in all the lanes and don't move over when they can see you needing to overtake even though there is plenty of space on the outside lane for them to do so. As a beginner I can't yet turn instinctively, I need to plan the turn with all brain cogs engaged and think my way round it. When your intended line is suddenly vetoed my some burke who hasn't been looking and I'm forced to do something unplanned if it doesn't come off this can take you closer than intended to the very folk you had planned to avoid. You may not believe it, but I am paranoid about doing something wrong on the slopes and being shouted at and will wait literally an inordinate amount of time to get a clear bit of slope, and then do all I can to keep safe space around me as I go down. I also drill it into my kids heads that they are to note uphill skiers before they set off too.
snow report
Checking uphill good plan, I still remember the THUD sound of a big Italian hitting me flat out in Sauze. Have to say mainly (all) my fault, was scooting down onto a flat section flat out, saw rest of group on my left in a queue, edges in hard, BANG. learnt some interesting new italian words too.
ski holidays
touch wood i have never hit anyone at any pace nor have i been hit.. (boarding) the only times i have hit any one is when going across the piste and meeting someone do the exact same thing in th eopposite direction, you usually get one of those no one knows which way to go situations and end up in some mid piste cuddle .. i did once have this situation with a mate of mine who was a bit out of control, seeing as i knew him i just shoulder charged him in the chest.. it was for his own benefit wink
snow conditions
Have to say I used to subscribe to the if you are going fast no one will hit you theory! Got clattered last week in Saalbach by a Germen Sad . Who then proceeded to give out to me for getting in his way Puzzled I was flying I would be a BASI level 2 skier in terms of ability and do regular race training! I was doing almost a straight line down a nice red run.

I proceeded to tell the German what I thought of him in English and German Mad Twisted Evil before skiing off.

Point is didnt hear him or know he was there till He hit me! Thank god for Helmets and Body armour Smile I actually thinkg he got a shock when he hit me must have thought I was the bionic ma Laughing
latest report
you see this is where my lack of confidence coms from i think, on my 2nd week skiing i was happily pottering down a green and i got totalled from behind by some spanish bloke, no warning shouts, no scraping sounds he just ploughed straight through me at full speed throwing me about 6ft in the air before landing very nastily on my ankle, luckily nothing broke or was damaged only my confidence. The guy didn't even say sorry he just got up and continued to ski dangerously totalling a few other people.
snow report
Quote:

he just got up and continued to ski dangerously totalling a few other people.

I got an idea. We all have to pass a test to get our driver's licence. How about passing a ski competency test before allowing to get on a lift? Wink

Doesn't have to be elaborate, just a little wiggly path you have to go through before getting on the lift. And the path is lined with nasty spiky walls. No, not to injure, just to cut up that nice 1-peice suit. Smile

Oh yes, the beginer lesson meeting area is right before the wiggly path! Very Happy
ski holidays
charlichops wrote:
The guy didn't even say sorry he just got up and continued to ski dangerously totalling a few other people.

I swear if I ever see someone doing this I'm going into a tuck and crashing full speed into him.

Actually, I did something like that once, long ago, in Romania...some idiots were sliding on plastic sacks on the ski run completely out of control, I tried to reason with them and they laughed me off. 200 yards later, one of them mows down a girl. I stopped, she was fortunately all right, so I went into full downhill mode (it was a red run, too, got up to some speed) and when I was about 5 yards behind the perpetrator I faked an out-of-control position and started shouting desperately AAAARGGGHH!....The guy turned his head around and literally blanched. I crashed with my ski edge into his back, just hard enough to hurt him and to control my turn to the left, and proceeded to fly down the run...good thing it was close to 4pm, I didn't risk hanging around as there were about 7 in that group.
ski holidays
ouch a ski (which hopefully you sharpened beforehand) to the back would have hurt.

sounds like a dickhead. Most resorts dont allow sledges up the lift.
snow conditions
Is it not a case of ski patrol just being out and about and doing there job? A half day confiscation of a lift pass would motivate people to ski a little better?
latest report
Quote:

Actually, I did something like that once, long ago, in Romania...some idiots were sliding on plastic sacks on the ski run completely out of control, I tried to reason with them and they laughed me off. 200 yards later, one of them mows down a girl. I stopped, she was fortunately all right, so I went into full downhill mode (it was a red run, too, got up to some speed) and when I was about 5 yards behind the perpetrator I faked an out-of-control position and started shouting desperately AAAARGGGHH!....The guy turned his head around and literally blanched. I crashed with my ski edge into his back, just hard enough to hurt him and to control my turn to the left, and proceeded to fly down the run...good thing it was close to 4pm, I didn't risk hanging around as there were about 7 in that group.

Probably not best practice. rolling eyes
latest report
I've come to grief several times skiing behind my youngest son. What is it about young kids and where they decide to turn? There is no rhyme or reason to it. Thankfully he's getting a bit better now, but he was a bl**dy liabilty Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum,
Quote:

I agree that it is bad form to crash into people

oh good! Shocked
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Megamum,
Quote:

I agree that it is bad form to crash into people

oh good! Shocked

Unless they're French or German wink
latest report
Last year in Val D'isere I was "baby sitting" my younger daughter and her friend who were on day 6 of boarding (both are good skiers but wanted a taste of the dark side wink ). Poor map reading by me and we strayed onto the wrong piste and found ourselves on a flattish blue path with a couple of blind turns with banked snow on one side. Unfortunately it was one of the routes back to Tignes and it was late in the day. We got round one corner and the girls ran out of speed so moved to the side of the path to de-bind and walk for a while. As they were de-binding two French skiers, who obviously knew the piste well, must have been in full tuck from the lift to be still be going at a fair lick when they reached us - they came round the corner side by side (one in front of the other and they could easily have passed us on the half of the path we weren't blocking). One of them bounced between my daughter and the snow wall and in an incredibly skillfull piece of skiing, stayed on his feet. The other one passed between daughter and friend through a gap that wasn't there - his ski edge passed millimetres from the de-gloved hand of daughter's friend who was unbuckling her straps, taking the glove with it and leaving it in virtually two pieces 20 yards on.
Said Frenchmen stopped a hundred yards later where the piste divided and waited - laughing at the fun they were having. I didn't quite see it that way but managed to hold back from taking the advice of some witnesses (big chaps as I recall) who were waiting at the same junction who suggested that we collectively and forcibly take their ski passes from them, possibly puching them a few times in the process.

I still have flashbacks on this one but the flashbacks usually involve severed fingers.

OK so I'm a big drama queen but it's changed my view of safety on the slopes - poo-poo happens and it very nearly happened here Sad
latest report
I've seen lots of collisions on pistes. The only time ive ever collided, was in ski school this year in an intermediate class and this french bloke didnt stop in time and wiped me out while i was stationary. Face plant and skis all twisted, but not a big deal except my face was cold.
snow report
Tim Sawyer wrote:
Probably not best practice. rolling eyes

Well, what would you have done? I tried to speak to them once and they acted like prats...had I tried again they could have had a go at me.

Put it this way - at least it was a skier in control who hit one of them - an out of control one would have been far worse.
snow report
I got wiped out this year, didn't hear a thing until I hit the floor, the skiier that hit me just skiied off aswell, was well annoyed! I approached him at the lift where he apologised, but not after me pointing out his stupid behaviour. I wasnt bothered that he hit me, just that he didnt stop to see how I was!
latest report
For the record I haven't wiped anyone out......yet!!

Also, I haven't yet been wiped out - though the ski school last year had a pretty good go at me. I got a kid whizz right across the tails of my ski's they snatched my ski pole off my hand and completely bent it in the middle, but I did stay upright.
snow conditions
I've been hit more often than I can remember. But it's one thing for a beginer on the nursery snowploughing at 2 mph running into me with eyes the size of dinner plates. It's something else when someone ran into me at 20mph in a full tuck.

I grant all beginer the understanding they're not all that good at stopping nor controling where they go. So as long as they go slowly enough that a collision wouldn't seriously hurt anyone, that's what I define "skiing in control". Wink "in control" in the sense they don't HURT anyone.

Peeks who have good enough control and don't, or those who go faster than they have control over. That's what really bothers me.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
who have good enough control and don't, or those who go faster than they have control over. That's what really bothers me.

I agree - that's what got my goat in my previous post - the guys involved appeared to be technically very competent indeed but no regard for safety of others.

Meanwhile, you have to see the funny side of a beginner who creates a domino effect in his beautifully lined up class - its one of the great sights in the mountains (and I can honestly say it was funny when I was in the class) Laughing
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Peeks who have good enough control and don't, or those who go faster than they have control over. That's what really bothers me.

Every day on the slopes I see at least 10 or 20 people who are significantly worse skiers than I am going at significantly higher speeds in areas of the piste full of people, a lot of whom are beginners. What they do when someone swerves or falls in their path, I have no idea. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents.

Funnily, I almost never see such skiers going faster than me on an empty red or black run. And when they do, in many cases it's tumble time.

(I'm not an angel. Some years ago, I managed to run into someone, in a thick fog. Avoided the first two people I hadn't seen and ran straight into the third. But at least I did my best to cushion the impact for her - she didn't even fall- then I stopped, apologised, etc.)

As for hearing the skier or boarder behind...unless they shout or they are already in full braking mode, probably not. I try to look back every now and then, but if someone ran into me at full speed from behind, there'd be no time to react.
ski holidays
Quote:

As for hearing the skier or boarder behind...unless they shout or they are already in full braking mode, probably not.

Yes, it's the "full breaking mode" that I tend to pay attention to.

By either turning away (when I can), or abort my turn and run stragith down the fallline, I think I may delayed the contact time by a fraction of a second, giving the other skier a chance to make further correction to his path (or just extra room to slow down)... It may not entirely avoid the collision, but might make a bad one less so?

Kind of what you would do if you actually SEE it?
ski holidays
I have to smile at the idea of the 'domino effect' - I've not seen it yet, but can imagine it. However, analogous is the 'oh no if they've fallen I must fall too' effect in a class of 4 year olds. It made me smile last year to see the class of 3 x 4 year olds (that was all that survived the weeks lessons) being coaxed down their from the top of their first poma run. Essentially they were fine until the first genuinely slipped over then within moments each of the other 2 were on their backsides. The poor instructor spent all her time standing them back up again - I swear she could ski backwards up the hill to go and get them!!, only to have it repeat itself moments later. It took her about 20 minutes to get them all down - then bless her she took them all up another 3 times. It worked though - Peter was a whizz on the poma and down again by himself by the end of the afternoon. It was just hugely entertaining to watch the psychology - one down, all down!! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy