Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who can use junior skis?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I just bought a pair of 2006 Elan rcg skis (minus bindings) at 160cm. I'm only 5ft4, i weigh about 70kg I reckon. Do you reckon I'd be alright using these? I've heard that the junior skis tend to be more flexible, so I'm wondering if I'll get enough bite out of them, although I think the length is ok. Obviously, I'd get some bindings suitable for my weight etc, so there shouldn't (hopefully!) be any binding issue there.

If i've made a huge mistake and am going to kill myself come meribel in march, can someone please tell me?!

Thanks! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kids your height won't weigh nearly as much as that. I think you need to get proper grown-up skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
potticus, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
potticus, Lizzard has a point. My 13 y.o. son is 5'9" and weighs about 54kg IIRC, and he's not ludicrously skinny. You could e-mail the manufacturers from their web site, I imagine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do a lot of field sport (not so much now, but I still play football 2/3 times a week) so i'm fairly muscular. what difference exactly would an extra 10ish kg make on top of the recommended levels? rather than race on these, i'm looking to use them just as casual skis on a budget trip out with some mates for now, depending on what goes down there their use may be changed i guess.

different ski styles and surfaces will warrant different stiffness skis - look at this situation, what do you reckon i could achieve on these?

thanks for your help Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
potticus, I think junior skis tend to have a max weight reccomendation? Try and find out what that is for this ski, I suspect it will be much lower than 70kgs.

I've just bought junior skis, but i only weigh 55kgs and only want to use them on plastic. I wouldn't use them on snow, for that I have my 3V LABs!!

What is your ability?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't find it for elans, but I think it's about 60 for others (so i've been told), the only one's i've found on near-official autority is fischer, their recommendations are about 62.

last time i was skiing was when i had the money (so a while ago NehNeh), but i think i skied every run they had at villard de lans (it's not all that big, but reds and blacks included). pretty competent, looking to get a lot better though. not particularly stylish unfortunately, but i think i'd be the same regardless of runs NehNeh the area i think i'd most like to improve on is tight turn technique and get me a bit sharper on heavy moguls etc. my mate i'm going with is a very good skier, so hoping i can learn a lot from him Smile

*edited due to spasticity.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
potticus, Sorry to rain on your parade, but if I were you I'd re-sell the skis you've just bought and hire something more aimed at your size and ability in resort. You'll get a whole lot more out of them and will probably be more beneficial for your skiing.

Of course someone with better technical ski equipment knowledge may disagree with me!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
potticus, I am 5 ft 2 and only weigh 50kg, if that. I wanted to try some kids' GS race skis, as the only adult GS skis they had were an absurd length for me (like 180 or 185). The shop wouldn't let me hire kids' skis because they said although I was the same weight and height as a 12 year old, I would be much stronger than a 12 year old and the skis would have too much flex and probably too much torsion too.

I'd go with the advice here - rent in resort. There should be a good range available for your height and weight in hire shops, and you can find a ski that suits your ability and style.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My understanding is soft skis tend to get bounced around a bit more, so it may be unstable when you're really going fast. So if you like to ski fast, you probably won't LIKE them.

It may also slide slower. So you might end up not go as fast. Another reason you might not like them.

But if that's not what you want them for, blasting donw the hill at mach speed or racing, I don't see what makes them NOT suitable for you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy