Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere/Montgenevre lift pass info please??

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Claviere in March and need to know about lift passes.
Crystal offer local pass with 1 day on Milky Way and one day in Montgenevre, one of the reviews I read states not to buy a local pass for Claviere but go to Montgenevre, as there more for beginners and intermediates. If I book with Crystal we get free lift passes for the children but I'm not sure if we do in Montgenevre (not sure if its a Crystal free thing or the resort?)
Has anyone been lately that could elaborate for me? Puzzled Thank you! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.montgenevre.com/363.0.html?&L=

Don't go for the Montgenevre-only pass - very limited. Monts de Lune is probably best value, though the full Via Lattea pass is only 50€ more.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.... and the same thing on Claviere's website:

http://www.claviere.it/main.php?curr_liv=2&curr_id=43&prec_liv=1&prec_id=24&lang=en&tip=1

Doesn't make any difference where you buy the pass - same options available either way.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think if you buy the monts de lune pass that you get a days skiing at serre chevalier as well... need to double check but i hope so as we're going skiing there as well in a few weeks. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monts de Lune is part of the Grande Galaxie system - gives you days in Serre Chevalier, 2Alpes, Alpe d'Huez as well as the Milky Way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Thanks for that, what does the Monts de Lune cover? same for the Via Lattea? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
monts de lune covers skiing in montgenevre and claviere.

via lattea is montgenevre, claviere, sauze, sestriere and another couple

all info here http://www.vialattea.it/en/index.html

ps. check out the webcams Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feefee, Monts de Lune gives you Montgenevre and Claviere plus one day each in other places as above. Via Lattea adds San Sicario, Sauze and Sestriere.

Realistically, you are unlikely to use the full Via Lattea pass for more than one day anyway, as you spend a lot of time on chairlifts, which gets cold and boring. I'd go for Monts de Lune, myself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definatly buy the MONTS DE LUNE. It gives 6 days skiing in Montgenevre and Claviere and then 1 day in either serre che or milky way.

By the way for people going to Claviere, go to the restaurant La Coche, but at night for a meal and in the day for a stop.

Evening
The restauarant is on the piste map. It is up the mountain, they take you up by skidoo from the ski school in Claviere and take you down whenever you want. The food is delicious, it is a fixed menu. They bring out 8 courses of local mountain cheese and meats, egg and cream omlette cooked in the oven, vedgedable dishes,2 pasta dishes to top it off tirramasouse and then a local cocktail with grapa in. It is absoulutly worth it.

In the day if you dont want to do that in the evening, stop off and get their selection of meats and cheese, which comes with white wine. It is gourgous and a brilliant brunch!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

tirramasouse

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Creative!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There you go then

tiramisu

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 16-01-08 17:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Excellent thanks all Very Happy and for my next question.....? ski school, any recommendation?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christopher, we did the whole skidoo trip thing up to the restaurant last year. was brilliant... not sure my stomach could handle any more of the local cockail thing though! It's warm, disgusting smelling* and you all drink it out the same pot which is passed around your table from one person to the next. It keeps going round until it is finished as local folklore has it that you'll be cursed if you don't finish it, or even take a drink from it...

gets you bladdered and all brilliant fun though.

I can also recommend the wee restaurant at the icerink for brilliant local meats and cheeses. Very Happy

*think warm buckfast with coffee in it Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Montgenevre there is ESF montgenevre is excellant in my opinion. There is also APeak who ive never had any experience of. It would mean skiing to Montgenevre in the morning, but that wouldnt be feasible for begginers.

Brilliant english speaking instructors all round. If you get Jean-Marc or Thomas, you'll be in for a ride, these people are proof of the job satisfaction. They cannot stop smiling, which ultimatly makes you rather happy.

I dont know much about Claviere sci scoula. I'm not sure Claviere is the best for begginers anyway. There is one begginer slope, where there is quite some diversity at Montgenevre. The begginers would be able to ski right from the top of the mountain by about day 3 when they master the snowplough.

Im sure you'll all love it thought.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes I'm sure we will it looks lovely Very Happy The restaurant sounds interesting, will definately pay a visit Very Happy Will wait until we get there for the lift passes then, it seems the youngest would be free anyway. As for our friends I think they will book the learn to ski package with Crystal, hard to beat financially taking in equipment, lessons and lift passes, mind you they say includes beginners lift pass, would that be the same as the local pass?
ski holidays
feefee, would that be with the sci scoula in claviere?
ski holidays
Christopher, I've no idea? i have read comments that Claviere is probably not best for complete beginners, but our first experience was in Kaprun, there were no nursery slopes open and we skied a long blue run on our first day Shocked we didn't know any different so just accepted it. Our friends are active, fit and keen, so i am hoping they will get ok Confused
snow report
There is enough to keep begginers occupied in Montgenevre, but getting there requies skiing a red run, not a particuarly difficult one but to a begginer a frightening experience i'd imagine.

Fit, Active, Keen begginers are the types i like. I'm sure with that attitude and fitness they will progress quickly enough.

feefee, have you recently changed names? is there someone else who has the same location with a different name.

anything more you want to know on the area, just ask.
latest report
Christopher, No have always been feefee! I'm sure theres many others wishing they were somewhere else!! thanks you have been a great help Very Happy will pester you with more questions when i think of them!!
How come you know so much about that area? have you been there a lot?
latest report
A warning for anyone skiing for a day in Montgenevre, we were (almost) scammed by counter staff. Not knowing how much the deposit on the lift pass was, we happily paid well over the odds for our one day pass. When returning the passes we realised we were over charged, receipt showed 2 day pass, but passes (which were taken from a pile on the desk, rather than printed from the machine) were one day passes. Fierce debate ensued, we were told we had swapped passes with someone on the hill (yeah, right), then the guy at the desk didn't speak englisg, then we had to come back tomorrow to see the manager (we were flying next day). We did return and the manager turned ou to be the guy we spoke to the day before who seemed surptised to see us again. Oddly, he had learned Englisg overnight. Finally a request for him to call the police to discuss convinced him to cough up.

And yes, we should have sussed at point of sale, but none of us had ever had a magnetic pass before.
snow report
feefee, I've been there twice in the summer and twice in the winter. Due to my mind being a map, I know the area rather well.

Im trying to concvince my parents to go there this summer instead of the Dolomites.
snow report
anyone know how the roads leading up to claviere from the italy side have been? Any need for snow chains? or are they being kept clear?
snow report
Ghost Dog, ha, I see Denis is as charming as ever. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
nothing to do with this thread really, but look at the place today... stunning

http://www.webcam-ski.fr/interfaces/mtgenevre/interface.php?pk_interface=56&m=images&r=panoramique&pk_pano=6818
snow report
Lizzard, how about a tiaramasseuse? Shocked
snow report
Swirly, what's that, some sort of posh head massage?
latest report
HI all,

Anyone know how much the Montgenevre pass is for local only, not Monts de la Lune. The website just says something about ESF but we have A-Peak lessons booked??!!

Cheers
LIz
snow report
liz09, Hello fellow Oxfordian.

APeak and ESF are both very good ski schools.

150euros for Montgenevre for 7 days http://www.montgenevre.com/445.0.html?&L=4 There isnt a 6 day pass.

If you are a competent skiier who will want to explore, I advise getting the Monts de la Lune lift pass which is 150euros http://www.montgenevre.com/446.0.html?&L=4 Your ski school might also want to take you into Italy, which you couldnt do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It'd be nice if you could do trip resorts on your findings.
latest report
hi Christopher,

I'm sorry I'm still confused.

I understand the Monts de la Lune pass is 150 euros for 6 days. However is the Montgenevre pass 150 euros too, and you can only get a 7 day pass? That doesn't seem very fair for our beginners of the group!!! Sad

I will do a trip report, though not going for a while yet just doing a little budget research.

Cheers
Liz

p.s. wish my location said, Oxford & Montgenevre instead of just Oxford!
snow report
Well I wish my location was really Montgenevre. It is merely a fabrication of the truth, I just see it as my second home not that i even own a home there. Also it gives a location of where I ski. Where do you live in Oxford?

There is a begginer pass, but Im not sure whether it lets you ski on the greens outside of the nursery slopes. No it won't be fair for begginers, but that is capitolism for you!

Have you been to Montgenevre before? Im guessing not.
snow report
hi all, Christopher we are a party of 9 ,2 familys kids 4-12yrs please could you tell us of the skiing,kids in skischool in mornings is there good ski for us big kids till lunch,then whole group in afternoon,where to eat luchtimes and any good apri of all on our way home where they might be family friendly
latest report
Ok, thanks for your help Christopher. Sounds like we're all getting the Monts de la Lune passes...... No I've never been to Montgenevre, though have driven through it before to get to Puy St Vincent. We have quite a mixed group in terms of ability and desire to get on certain lifts etc and Montgenevre seemed to fit the bill.

Cheers
Liz
latest report
shorty, The skiing consists of 3 areas. Italian/South side facing slopes (Le Chalvet) and North facing slopes. Map here http://www.montgenevre.com/fileadmin/HIVER/photos_tn/2_station/domaine/monts_de_la_lune/FA_07_08/plan-mdl-optimise.jpg . Im writting this from an intermediate point of view. if you want to know where the best off piste is ask.

Italian - requires skiing reds there and back. Great skiing from Rocher d'Aigle into Italy. Not for begginers though. So this would be worth checking out in the morning.

North Facing slopes - these are the main slopes, with a bowl (Les Gondorans).
Brilliant runs are:
1. Red back towards Montgenvre from Rocher d'Aigle chairlift. Piste 32.
2. Reds from Prarial lift to the bottom of the village. Including easy moguls and slalom. Pistes 20, 21, 24 and 25.
3. Border Cross - This is a course with lots of jumps and tight corners in Les Gondorans.
4. 51 and 53 are easy blacks
5. in the bowl there is a narrow off piste valley/gulley, which isnt very steep It has lots of bumps and jumps though. Dont need to be an expert to do it.

South Side - This is the more sportier chalenging side. Great fun in the morning and much warmer as it is the first place to catch the sun.
1. From the top of Le Chalvet chairlift there are spectacular views and great red pistes down.
2. Piste 12 and 8 are good hard blues. This back bowl at Rocher Rouge is deserted most of the time, which leads to quiet pistes Very Happy .

For the kids
There are easy greens from the top of the bowl all the way down to the village, can get icy (hard pack) in busy periods.
Piste 18 is an easy blue for kids to develop and gain confidence on steeper easy blues. There are also blues in the bowl, which would be easy for you to ski later in the week as the kids skills improve. Pistes 5 and 6 in le chalvet are easy blues which you should be able to take the kids down.

Very family friendly resort. For gentle apres there is Le Graal which is the main bar. It has a nice atmosphere. There isnt much of the way of on mountain restaurants. Never eaten at the bottom of the bowl, but has been reccomended. Main restaurants in the village close to ski school meeting point which all serve quality local grub and kids food are Le Graal, Le Cadelsol, le jamy, . There is one restaurant to avoid which the food is awful and that is next door to Le Cadelsol it is awful. Im sure Lizzard will know its name, she will tell you what les Rois Meages is like.

La Coche is an Italian restaurant on the piste map above Claviere. Go there in the morning and order white wine, cheese and mountain ham. It is delicous, they bring out huge plates of the stuff. If you can get a taxi to Claviere in the evening, it might be worth booking a skidoo upto La Coche for the evening, read my post above on the restaurant.
ski holidays
We are off to Montgenevre in March, if we buy the vialatea pass can we ski montgenevre every day if we wish?

thanks

John
ski holidays
If you're based in Montgenevre its ideal to get a Monts de la Lune pass. It is considerably cheaper and unless you clock up serious kilometers everyday, the one day in the Via Lattea should be sufficient on the Monts de la Lune Pass.

If you get the Monts de la Lune pass it allows you to ski in Montgenevre and Claviere unlimited with a day in the other Via Lattea resorts (Sestriere, Sauze d'Oulx and San Sicario) or Serre Chevalier and a few other resorts.

The Via Lattea gives you full coverage of Montgenevre, Claviere, San Sicario, Sauze d'Oulx and Sestriere all week. Just to add it takes a while to get over to the other resorts for Claviere and Montgenevre. therefore I don't belive a Via Lattea pass is worth it. If you decide you want to spend extra days in the Via Lattea you can always buy an upgrade for the day. I've been for the past 2 christmas and have found the Monts de la Lune lift pass sufficient.

Its a wonderful ski area! Enjoy it! snowHead
snow report
I'd agree with Christopher... more than enough skiing in the Monts de la lune area. I've been 4 times now and still haven't covered the whole area. Some brilliant off piste as well of the L'Aigle chair.
ski holidays
Hi there,

Sorry for being a bit dim - unfortunately we have already booked a Via Lattea pass with Crystal (before reading any of the reports). I'm getting a bit confused as I seem to have seen conflictng reports? How many days does the VL pass cover in Montgenevre - is it just the one, or does it cover the duration of the pass?

Many Thanks

Kate
snow conditions
Kate0, the Via Lattea pass ony gives one day in Montgenevre.

As far as I know there is no pass that gives 6day access to Montgenevre, Claviere and the rest of the Milky Way (Via Lattea).

For us the Via Lattea pass is not worthwhile as we're picking kids up from ski school (and kids club) so I doubt we'll be fussed with striking out into the Via Lattea more than one day - there's too much 'traveling' in lifts and connecting pistes to make it worthwhile if we've got to be back lunchtimeish.

On the other hand, based on what I've read about the skiing, I reckon we will be dipping in and out of Montgenevre so the combined ML/MG pass is the one for me and Mrs Higs.

If you think another lift pass will suit you better, you can always cancel the one you've booked with Crystal - it's your holiday after all.
snow conditions
Higs, We'll be in the same boat - having to pick the children up from the kids club too so would probably only manage 1 day elsewhere (apart from Montgenevre & Claviere).

Any idea how much the Monts de la Lune lift pass costs now? My whole area pass was £137, so would probably need to work out which is more cost effective - changing the pass to a ML or just adding days on to the existing pass (which I believe are about 18euro's pp per day?). Assuming of course Crystal agree to refund......

When are you going by the way? We're staying at the Crystal Club Hotel for 1/2 term week - should be nice & busy!

Thanks

Kate
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy