Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Length Formula

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There have been a lot of questions lately about the right length of ski for a person.

It got me to thinking about my own skis. My skis are 167 in length, I am 6ft, 13st, and an advanced intermediate. Should there be a certain length of ski for me?

So is there a formula or rule of thumb for working out lengths? Or even a minimum/maximum length people should use for their height, wieght, ability etc?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The_Hirsty, Type of ski has a huge bearing. Piste only, go for good side cut and around nose height (however i prefer a GS style ski and ski 178/182 and am 176cmm tall.) All mountain, depends what you consider all mountain, but around forehead/head height.( i ski 177, but she is wide.) Off piste, well i ski 10cm over head height.(188cm)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forget the length, look at the girth....oh sorry, you meant ski's Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Measured whilst wearing ski boots ? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How does a ski change its characteristics?
How much is due to the height of the object on top of it and how much to the weight?

If you put a ski on blocks - one at the front, one at the back, and stand on it, will it deflect more if you are 5ft and 10 stone, or if you are 6ft and 10 stone? Will it deflect more if you are 5 ft and 12 stone or 6ft and 10 stone?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
standing still i would have thought that the weight is the factor but if turning on a ski would it not be a factoor of force * distance from pivot point so height is a factor???
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
How does a ski change its characteristics?
How much is due to the height of the object on top of it and how much to the weight?

If you put a ski on blocks - one at the front, one at the back, and stand on it, will it deflect more if you are 5ft and 10 stone, or if you are 6ft and 10 stone? Will it deflect more if you are 5 ft and 12 stone or 6ft and 10 stone?

Playing devil's advocate, in your scenario if the 5ft person leans forward and then the 6 foot person leans forward the ski will deflect more with the 6ft person because of the additional leaverage the extra height gives.

Does that not have a bearing?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ntfarmer, lower, good point, but how much higher is the CoG/CoM?
I don't know the answer, but I'd guess that the CoG of a person who is 6ft is not 1ft higher than that of a person who is 5ft
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When the person is leaning forward, i'd expect the CofG to move quite a bit as your head is pretty heavy and is now 1ft further away from the ski. Not only that, your trunk is now ~6 inches further from the ski and that combined with you head i'd have thought would change the forces quite a bit.

However, if you are skiing with your centre of mass over the centre of the skis, it wouldn't make any real difference.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Based on my AOS (arseonsnow) experience, there's not one iota of justification for any intermediate skier to worry about needing a 'specific' length ski. As you should be at the point in your skiing to be able to enjoy experiencing how different shapes and lengths perform, react and how your body needs to adapt and respond to that. I love my short (165) SX10's, I really like the 175 RC4GS and I LOVED the 181 SX12s I rode on L2A. All have their differing technique requirements and all do one thing better than the rest in general skiing . . . It's down to you to adapt and learn rather than look for the 'magic all trick pony' ski that flatters a limited skills base. Confused

The analgazing above about CoG/CoM . . . is just that wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy