Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your top five all time favourite runs...

Poster: A snowHead
I hate a thread I can't take part in - I've only ever skied the one 500yd beginner run Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, that's got to be your favourite then. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was reading this thread saying to myself "Finally, a topic that Megamum won't feel bound to contribute to"... I thought too soon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum,

Nice going - only one run skied yet 5741 posts on snowHead and counting. Keep up the good work!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, you've also skied MK Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, VT is gonna blow your mind if all you've done by then is that same run Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As ive only ever properly skiied one area. My options are quite limited, but those who know the area of Montgenevre.

They are:
1. Rocher D'Aigle, no more said if you know the area. Breath taking views and a good red. It can be very cold though.
2. Red from the top of Le Chalvet from the chairlift down to the village.
3. Colleto Verde, the red piste into Italy. Im not good enough yet to try the steep rocky black.
4. On Le Chalvet side the blue, which should be a red over at Rocher Rouge bowl, which goes narrow as it goes down to the rocher rouge chairlift. Doing the bit of off-piste at the top.
5. On the snow front, the red from Prarial chairlift on the far right nearest the appartment blocks. It normally has a lot of moguls.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FenlandSkier, I hope so!!

OK, 3 runs if you count both sides of Milton Keynes!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would have had a bigger Les Arcs bias, since that's where I have spent most of the last few years skiing, but then I thought back to the times I have been truly excited elsewhere and came up with:

1) Malgovert Les Arcs - designed to be a 'natural' piste - and is unique amongst reds - I defy anyone to find a similar piste, anywhere.
2) Blue Sky Basin, Vail - all of that mountain.
3) The Outback, Keystone - tree skiing at its best.
4) Drosset, Les Arcs. Never had I had to work so hard for such a sense of achievement.
5) Can't remember its name, but off the back of the Needle in Tignes - through a tunnel and climb down a knotted rope until you find the pitch flattening out just enough that the snow can stick to it. My first experience of 'real' off-piste (as opposed to skiing between runs), and a memory to stay with me. What a buzz.

Not sure the Daily Express will list any of those...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't worry megamum you are in good company !!

1 - Ptarmigan bowl - Cairngorm
2 - Six man chairlift blue at el tarter
3 - Castleford x-scape
4 - nursery slopes - the lecht
5 - fields behind my house.

BUT its Niederau next week................ Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lupinp2003 wrote:
I was reading this thread saying to myself "Finally, a topic that Megamum won't feel bound to contribute to"... I thought too soon.

We live in hope Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cambodia/The Slides, Granite Mountain@Red
Beer Belly/Dougs Run, Granite Mountain@Red
Some Cat skiing run on Pluto/Neptune, somewhere in the Monashees, somewhere in BC...
Kyber Pass, Whistler
Cancer Man, Blackcomb

oooh am I allowed some more - just getting going...!! snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madloch - Zug
Schindlerkar
Zursertali
Trittkopf
Kandahar
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've only been skiing twice (off to Tignes this season in April) but from my experiences in 3V last year, and Obertauern (Austria) the year before, my top five are:

1. Combe du Vallon, Meribel (3V)
2. Cruex, Courchevel (3V) - all the way down through the trees, great roller coaster red.
3. Grand Lac, Les Menuires/St Martin (3V) - sweeping, curving, cruising blue.
4. 3 Marches, Les Menuires/St Martin (3V) - in the same vane as Grand Lac....good fun.
5. Jerusalem, St Martin (3V) - It was a bit on the icy side the time I went down, but in good snow it would be a belter!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shagsa, nice selection.
ski holidays
Although I love other 3V runs mentioned here - Creux, Combe du Vallon, Suisse, Combe du Caron - I have never skied Jerusalem, for some reason, at least I don't think I have. This will be rectified in January, thanks for the recommendation.
ski holidays
1) Yellowbelly, Nevis Range
2)Big Horn Basin, Norquay
3)North Bowl, Revelstoke
4)Terminator Ridge *anything, Kicking Horse
5)THe Wall/ Kiddies Corner, Lake Louise
snow report
Their have been many debates on here comparing North America & Canada to European destinations and the responses have been very mixed. Strange then when this question is asked, the European destination's are clearly favourite.

Which leads me to conclude that the Alps whether French, Swiss, Austrian or Italian are the best destinations for winter sports in the world.
ski holidays
Kel, are you an elaborate troll? Toofy Grin
snow report
Kel, Ho Ho Ho....

FISH

or it you are being sincere - this site is a little francocentric sometimes - "Neigetetes" in fact perhaps

arv, I'd hate to see one which wasn't elaborate wink
snow conditions
Oh dear.
snow conditions
arv, stoatsbrother,
That's 2 bites already NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
Kel, rolling eyes Laughing

Only took me 2 minutes to get the sword out!
latest report
1. Soll red home run before 10am (no one on it you can really let go)

2. Serfaus Pezid Vertikal

3. Lake louise back bowls

4. VT Christine (my sisters name)

5 Soll Red home run at about 3 45pm ( bowling alley)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 8-11-08 11:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
How disappointing, especially now we finally have a black president of the USA, that this thread willfully excludes the ski areas North of the Border!

For all the cliched references to Swiss bump runs and dull franglais 3V cruisers the delights of such Grand Classics as Coire Fionn and Ptarmigan 2 have been forgotten - the former a particular uber-classic giving a full 80 yards of rock doging and grass surfing made all the more challenging by the ever present biting North wind.

Stairway to Heaven my Ars*!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

5) Moraine - Val Thorens

Agreed on that one, did it over and over again one morning when I was skiing alone with just my mp3 player for company, just superb.
Tete Rond is a great blast too.
ski holidays
I haven't got five favourites, but my number one would be Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, although she was only a novice and not a nun as such. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Really sorry, but am I the only person who doesn't know the names of runs? Best I can do is say resort and a bit of a description and those that have skied them will know, and perhaps fill in my blanks! In no particular order:

1. Hochgurgl, Austria - top to bottom. Starts steepish blue, flattens out and windy and then a very windy, narrow red all the way to bottom station and the loudest apres bar on earth.
2. Morzine to Les Gets - great start to the day amongst loads of trees, bit steep at times and a really quite long run. Gets the legs going, thats for sure.
3. Cervinia - top to bottom station. Starts narrow red, keep right and gets wider but steeper(ish) and then after mid-station goes on and on and on. About 10 km's I believe. Love it.
4. Courmayeur - Zerotta I think its called. Usually quiet in the mornings and busy after lunch. Bit of blue, bit of red and a very long diverse run. Through trees, narrow bits, steep bits. Pure joy.
5. Transfer - am I the only one who loves the transfer to resort on day 1? I am an excited child every single time about the fact we will be in the snow soon and the "sleeps to go" count is at 0 or 1 at worst!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi, wouldn't say I love the transfer but you're not the only one.

Megamum, it may be limited but you must have 5 by now!
snow report
My favourite runs are all off-piste.
To name a few memorable ones off the top of my head:

North face of Bellecote (La Plagne) - The Classic route or the Canadiens Couloir, or my new favourite - the Couloir du Cairn.

The Face du Charvet (Val d'Isere)

The North face of the Grand Balme (Tignes)

The Back of the Valluga (St Anton) or the furthest back couloir off the Schindlergrat with a big rock wall beside it.

The Pas de Chevre (Chamonix) or perhaps the descent right under the Helbronner top lift...

Oh, I'll probably want to change one or two of the later ones when I've thought a bit more ...

Edit: Got to have one of the La Grave couloirs. Perhaps one of those that go right down to the road: Chirouze is the name of my favourite one - according to this map .

Edit 2: And then there is the back of the Aiguille Rouge at Les Arcs.... so much choice
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, Your number 3 is Ventina I think... it's also No. 7...

As for 5 no you are defintely not the only one! Where are you off to this year? snowHead
snow conditions
Red 27 my nemesis for bad news!

Thus far have Morzine in January for my annual trip with my mate, Schladming in February with "work", hoping to go with Mrs L to Italy in March and then Meribel at Easter with the kids. What do you think for Italy? Champoluc, perhaps? Cervinia again wouldn't kill me either.

Where you off to?
latest report
Peter Leuzzi, Have you been to Madonna or Cortina? there's a lot to like over there... Anyways, that sounds like a great set of trips.

I've got L2A rolling eyes at crimbo, then 3V, Villars, Lech & of course a pilgramage to Davos. I'm excluding trips to Cervinia of course - of which there has been one already!
snow report
Tignes - Anemone. Wide blue run from Palafour lift back into resort.
Mayrhofen - Red 7. Hugely wide sweeping red run, probably my favourite run ever.
Flims - Red 18. Tree lined run back into resort, very pretty.
Les Arcs - Belette. Short but great red run through the trees.
La Plagne - Arpette. Not the best of runs, but personally memorable for being a beer fuelled last run of holiday earlier this year.
latest report
In no particular order, and for different reasons:

Chamole - Pila. Fast, cruisey red - and usually empty.
Galzig - St Anton. Watch out for the adverse camber.
Youla - Courmayeur. Seem to remember it being a bit like a Superslide at he top??
Shattberg - Saalbach. Racing Kim (in Gondola) down.
Moosewirt --> St Anton, after dark. Laughing
snow conditions
Not in the same league as many of you and mainly for seeing the smile on others faces rather than mine -

Marvel - Morillon, possibly the nicest green run on the planet (or my experience of the planet anyway!)
Dome - Deux Alpes, the first red I did with easiski and looked back thinking flipping 'eck I just skied that!
lac noire/Creux? Deux Alpes - completely empty when everything else was teeming
Valentin - I didn't ski it but the puffed up chest on the flying bogee after his first black as the only non faller in the group was worth me doing it a million times

haven't got the 5th yet.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

None of mine are particularly difficult runs, but that is down to the level of skier I am at present.

I am delighted to see runs other than those enjoyed for their fear-inducing powers. It's good to read why people have listed runs, perhaps a few interesting lists could be built out of it, eg

Your favourite runs for:

- scariness/challenge

- scenery

- inspiring confidence in the novice

- for moving on from novice runs

- ???? bumpy stuff? other categories?

For me, with still fairly limited experience:

-scenery
the views from the upper part of the Puy salie on the glacier at Les Deux Alpes were stunning and encouraged me to stop looking at the snow a few feet in front of my skis. It helped that the weather was perfect too.

- confidence giving on leaving the first nursery slopes
the mostly green loop starting from the Deux Lacs restuarant in VT
the beginner area that the Peisey Chair goes to in Les Arcs - it has a poma but is such varying terrain that you can find very easy or quite challenging routes for novices through it - good preparation for moving on. The ESF take you here after using the Poma beside the top of the Vallandry chair which is smaller and gentler.

- for moving on
Puy Salie, LDA (the views took my mind off the rest!). There are steeper bits and then shallower bits which is useful.
Moraine (VT) - nice and wide and an easy finish with the Knife & Fork to aim for!
Sections of the reds that cross the snaking blue Foret in Les Arcs/Vallandry - you can do a selected red section then retreat to the Foret
ski holidays
The run from top of Parsenn funicular in Davos all the way to Klosters is quite entertaining. It is mostly an easier red, but one can start from the top of Weissfluhjoch (pardon my spelling...) with a short stretch of black.

There is great red in Cortina from the very top lift in Faloria, long and away from the lifts, but I can't remember its name (Viali or something?)

Sasslong 1 named above has my vote, too (not to be confused with the red Sasslong which is a bit boring).

Whistler: the runs from top of Glacier Express to bottom of Excelerator Chair are brilliant.
snow report
Sunnyside - Glen shee Very Happy
snow conditions
My list is pretty similar to snowball's, although as there are many classics I've not done (particularly in Killy) so my differences from his may be largely one of experience. My view is that there are some nice pistes in places, but nothing much that substantially separates one from another.

1) La Grave - La Voute, fun but not uber-challenging skiing, fantastic views down to the road at the bottom, scenery is quite a bit more dramatic than Chirouze (but that's good as well)

2) Helbronner to Salle a Manger in the Vallee Blanche - skiing's pretty simple, but the views over the the Envers du Plan are fantastic. Pas de Chevre is good, but the views are more closeup spectacular rather than stunning vistas. I've not done the Grand Envers yet so can't compare that.

3) Stockigletscher into Zermatt - last half day of the Haute Route, so need a heli if not touring there, but the run around the seracs is pretty special, approaching the Matterhorn.. Then follows about an hour moderately tedious traversing over the Zmutt, but the scenery is still pretty interesting.

4) All the above are half-dayish excursions. If we have to have a marked run, I'd probably say Pointe de Vue in Argentiere - super views over the icefall at the end of the glacier.

5) For a simple, accessible, hour-ish run, off the back of L'Yret above Monetier (Serre Chevalier) to rejoin the Tabuc black route in the final runout (maybe called Pas de l'Ane?). Couloir de Balme in the Villeneuve sector is also good fun for a shorter run.

It's a long time since I did it, and I was a much weaker skier then, so it may be pretty tame in comparison to what I do now, but I'd agree with the Blue Sky Basin runs and the tree runs near the back of Keystone mentioned above.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy