Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tiny bit of rust on base edges

Poster: A snowHead
got back from a short weekend the other week and left skis to dry in lounger.
It seems that there's already a tiny bit of rust forming on the edges.
I intend to do the side edges, then wax, but leave the wax on to protect the edges.

However, the problem is the tiny bit of rust on the base edges. I believe your not supposed to touch the base edges at all.
The only stone I have is an alu-oxide stone.

Any advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, not sure who said you shouldn't touch the base edges, but you should, if you need to!
Don't panic about a little bit of rust, just take it off, and make sure they get waxed when dry, shouldn't be a problem.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, I don't know if this is appropriate for skis but when I was a girl and had to help my dad pottering in the garage he taught me a trick for getting rust off things. You get some engine oil and dip a small bit of fine steel wool in it then rub gently in tiny circles on the rusted metal. My edges are rusty too and I am planning to do this myself come the weekend.
Good luck. It will be a fiddely job.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm guessing an alu-oxide stone won't so much damage to the base anyway...as in it can't actually remove that much material and increase the angle?!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Someone once told me to keep oil well away from the bases
?????
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, oh well I guess it isn't appropriate for skis then rolling eyes. Works a treat on chrome work though wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa, don't put oil anywhere near a ski base as it gets absorbed in to the p-tex base & can't be removed. This is why when using a diamond file on a ski edge we use an alchohol based lube or water whereas in engineering it's usual to use an oil based lube with diamond cutters.

GordonFreeman, you're right re not 'tuning' the base edge but deburring with your alu-ox & removing rust with a gummi is fine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, mmmm Blush I think I really got that wrong. Thanks for the warning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
flowa, don't put oil anywhere near a ski base as it gets absorbed in to the p-tex base & can't be removed. This is why when using a diamond file on a ski edge we use an alchohol based lube or water whereas in engineering it's usual to use an oil based lube with diamond cutters.

GordonFreeman, you're right re not 'tuning' the base edge but deburring with your alu-ox & removing rust with a gummi is fine.

deburring with my aluox on the base is only lightly running it along the bottom edge.
To get rid of the rust properly aren't I going to have to put it in my guide rub it hard on the base edge, do the side, then deburr?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lets face it... the first run down any granular snow should polish the base edges a touch Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman wrote:
.....To get rid of the rust properly aren't I going to have to put it in my guide rub it hard on the base edge.....

You need a gummi stone or, as Scarpa says, go ski 'em
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
don't put oil anywhere near a ski base as it gets absorbed in to the p-tex base & can't be removed.
What harm will it do when it's in there? I've used a touch of WD40 on a diamond stone before now without appearing to do any damage.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 16-01-08 12:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickB, no visible damage but it blocks up the base preventing wax absorption.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickB, use water rather than WD40 on the stone for skis.
snow report
Does it have to be a gummi on the base?
Won't an alu-ox do the same job without actually taking any material off the base but just removing the rust? ...even if I do it by hand?
Just keen to not wax it and seal the rust in...
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, an alu-ox is a very hard stone & will work ok depending how smooth the edge is. The gummi, although hard, is a lot softer than alu-ox & therefore works best.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
NickB, no visible damage but it blocks up the base preventing wax absorption.

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
NickB, use water rather than WD40 on the stone for skis.

Cheers Guys
snow report
Can someone explain what this p_tex on the bottom of the skis is - I wonder if its some sort of teflon based resin?
snow report
Megamum, the base of a ski will be made of either sintered or extruded polyethylene
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy