Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski size advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm a struggling intermediate skier unfortunately, trying my best to leave the snow plough behind and venture into parallel turns. Sad
We leave for Finkenberg, Austria this saturday and just wanted to double check something out with the skis I've recently bought.

I'm 6ft 1 and a half weighing about 13.5 stone and got skis which are 160. My husband assures me they will be absolutely fine but I'm still worried as they look like their going to be too short. Puzzled He's looked up on the net what the bindings should be set to which he said is 6. I'm sure my husband is right as he is on most things but I'd like a second opinion.

Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks

Jayne
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am 5ft10 13 to 13 half stone advanced and ski on 160 length skis to be fair I am going to buy longer this time but I was probably an advanced piste skier when I bought my 160's so you will be fine !

and my skinny tall mate who I went to canada with in 2003 isnt as a good a skier as me she is about 6ft and was probably 11 stone got given 160 length hire skis, and the same length again the following year in france and the year after ...........

hope that helps have a brill time Very Happy

edited cos I cant spell length !!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it was me I'd listen to your husband, he sounds like a wise man Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Helen for your advice and comments, makes me feel so much better. Oh and thanks Mr Freezywater for your comments too, I do trust my hubby, just want to be sure.

If anybody can comment on my bindings being set to number 6, I'd appreciate it??

Thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cant answer that one for you but think there are a few guides on other topics so have a bit of a hunt ??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mrs freezywater, Unless your husband really knows what he's doing with DIN settings I'd take them to a shop and ask them to set them for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717

This is a good link to useful (women's) info about ski length / ability / weight
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mrs freezywater, I'm 5'9" and 190Kg and a beginner skiing 160cm - my local shop has just backed my new bindings down from a suggested 6 to a 5 in view of my inexperience -on that basis 6 doesn't sound too far out for you, but I am no where near an expert so don't anything just based on this - it might just help to confirm other settings that you might see.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, Not many of the 'Expert' girls in Cham would ski anything less than 190cm. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, if you're 190Kg, I'd be surprised - that's about 28 stone...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, they look stupidly short to me - I'm 143lbs and riding 168s.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1.7m 75kgs using 165 skis - great fun
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, those are snowblades you great poof. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, do you mean 190lbs?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK - got that wrong didn't I? I should have said 196llb about 90 odd kilos Embarassed Way too much I know, but for the purposes of this enquiry quite comparable I should think. So its that with the fact that 5'9" with a 160cm ski and bindings just set back from 6 to 5 due to inexperience!! Does that sound any better?
snow report
Lizzard, For your weight and size the 'table' suggests 158cm - 170cm. I think that covers 168cm.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, If they all choose skis at their height then that would make all your girls over 6" tall. I thought everyone was supposed to ski shorter nowadays. Puzzled
latest report
erica2004, it also callls me an expert skier. Laughing
latest report
mrs freezywater, given your stage of learning, shorter is better IMO. The shorter, the easier to turn and the more confidence you will get. I skied on 150s quite happily (Blizzard B52) for a year and I am a similar weight. It was only the limitations off piste which prompted me to switch to Missions in 178.
ski holidays
erica2004, I'd say most of them are sub 170cm. It's a Scandie thing, none the less they ski them well. Short skis are for Slalom and short radius turns. It's never been the way, a few companies tried to push this in the late 90's but in reality it's BS. Big Worm swallowed by many Fish.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, How do we decide what length of ski to ride then? I guess you'd say my skis were too short. They're 154cm (this year's model of the Volkl S5), and I don't find them in any way unstable. Would I be better with a longer ski ? I just take the length I'm given by the ski shop guys. I'm 5'6" - well I was at 18, I've probably shrunk a bit since, and 9st. I suppose off piste skis need to be longer - but why, they're fatter?
snow report
I think its personal preference. Shorter skis are easier to move around so unless theres something you don't like about them ie. they are unstable then I don't see what advantages you would get from going longer apart from "looking" like an expert Smile
Personally as my skiing has improved I have found I like stiffer skis rather than longer, however this is only for on piste and little forays into off piste and I would probably choose longer skis if I was going to be skiing waist deep powder every day. I am 175cm and happily ski 160-170cm skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy