Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foam me up Scotty (more adventures in the Zoo...)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So here's a thing. I bought a pair of boots from the Zoo at the start of last season. Apart from one footbed related problem they had a nice combination of comfort and responsiveness. (SZK tried to save me money by reusing my old footbed and the result was a cramping foot - SZK made me a new one and all was well.)

So, the strangest thing happened. 115 ish days of skiing in them later, they start giving me cold feet and foot cramps. Arriving at the Zoo after skiing on Friday, SZK pronounced the (thermoform) liners dead. I'm not surprised - I'm hardly a waif and I've skied them hard.

Not having been had foamed liners, I thought it would be good to give them a bash...

Now everyone says that having boots foamed is painful. And I can confirm that it's not half as painful as they say. More like 140% more painful. It's not the foaming, it's the expansion of the foam just after the foam has run through.

So, what's the result? Well, frankly, pain. The boots now take 5-6 times longer to get on (although I think I've finally worked out the combination of angle of attack and foot twist...) and they hurt like hell. Well, they started off hurting like hell and by the end of my one day's skiing in them the left one is now something approaching comfortable. And I reckon it'll be extremely comfortable by the end of Friday (when I'm skiing next). The right one is causing more problems, but is now where the left one was at the start of Friday.

Anyone who's read the Zipfit posts will find a consistent theme here. Comfortable, but precise boots aren't an instant or necessarily one-hit process.

And my skiing? Frankly, it's gone to rat s*&^ - primarily because my skis are responding differently and my brain has yet to deal with the consequences. And conditions on Sunday were far from easy. And I had legs of lead after telemarking on Saturday.

So, yes, gone to rat s*&^. Except that moment when I managed 12 bumps down the zip line. Now, I couldn't do that before... snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PhillipStanton, You need a pair of (correctly sized) WC boots mate!

I got foam liners into my old boots 2 years ago. Never worked properly. Although a very close fit for about the first 8 weeks. Didn't you get vid of you running the bumps?

And yes, it's quite entertaining getting them on the first day after foaming.

It's that bizarre sensation when you realise that there's something exactly the same dimensions as your foot already inside the boot and even though it's a void, there doesn't seem to be any room for anything else quite the same shape and size.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 15-01-08 19:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went for Comform'able Foam liners, not because mine were tired, I did it on LARGEZOOKEEPER's advice in order to give me some more room in the boots. I was a bit apprehensive of what CEM & LARGEZOOKEEPER were about to inflict on my feet, but I can honestly say that I found the process not too bad, as after I had the foam liners I did indeed have some more room in the boots. They ski fantastically and the fit is just superb. It was really important to wear them again for 45 mins on the night of the foaming to stop further expansion.
After now having had some 16 hours work on my boots Shocked I can't thank CEM & LARGEZOOKEEPER enough for their masterful skill in achieving such a brilliant fitting pair of ski boots.
Better start thinking about next years replacements soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, "next years replacements" - and how much skiing will you be doing? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, They're on 3-4 times a week all year round, plus snow time. So quite a lot really, about 18 months tops and they're trashed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ohh...does this mean I will ski better...??? Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, of course, dry slopes? yep, I can understand that!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, results may vary. E&OE
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Days 2, 3 and 4...

Day 2. I hate SZK. Or more specifically my left foot nearly loves SZK, but my right foot really isn't at all disposed kindly to him. Boots cut off blood supply to little toes on both sides and big toe on right foot. Left boot becomes strangely more comfortable in late afternoon after taking off and putting back on again.

Day 3. Left foot now entirely comfortable from first thing. How this works, I'm not entirely sure. But it is. So I'm not going to complain. Comfortable and "held". Yes. "Held". Good word. Right foot getting the hang of things. The question is - are the boots forming to me...or my feet forming to the boots. Again, taking the right boot off and putting back on again seems to make a huge difference. I'm now only lacking blood to the little toe of the right foot...

Day 4. Right boot now comfortable from the off. But left boot decides to play up. Probably for the sake of it. Ignore it for 10 minutes and it settles down to pretty darned comfortable. Still little blood to right right toe. But more than before and nothing causing pain or discomfort anywhere. I would ski like a god. If only I had technique...

All this reinforces something SZK has said before. It's not a one hit process. Things take time to settle down.

Day 5 to follow in 2 weeks... rolling eyes

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 22-01-08 18:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PhillipStanton, if you really want a pain in the *ss you should get foam liners for your tele boots then you could have several months of hassle.... wink

Quote:

After now having had some 16 hours work on my boots

Spyderman, jesus is that really worth it? i had a 2 hour fitting session with new footbeds and had some grinding done. went back once for some more grinding and all is well... are your feet that hard to fit?

are foam liners the last resort to getting a good fit?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
PhillipStanton, if you really want a pain in the *ss you should get foam liners for your tele boots then you could have several months of hassle.... wink

Yikes! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, five days in and they're both comfortable. Actually, I'm not sure whether it was day 5, 6 or 7, but zzz will confirm that I've stopped whinging about my boots.

I've got a small pressure issue on the outside of my right foot. But it's getting better all the time and the same issue on the left foot has gone completely. I expect it to be gone in a few more days.

Very happy bunny.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I, too very happy with my boots...just got to sort the fine tune of the buckles

Went down to the zoo to thank SZK and Seb and they had gone skiing or were not in for 5 days..... ??????

Anyway, I could start a new thread but .... BIG THANKS here instead.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy