Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DM's trip to the 'Zoo: Part 1 - Agony (Bumpin' & Grindin')

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, so the new Dobies were fab on the first days over New Year and at the weekend we had a fun old Saturday in new snow. Marvellous thinks I.

So I slide my foot in on Sunday morning and can hardly walk, let alone ski. Had to spend all of the 3 hours we had at Le Tour skiing with 90% of my weight on the "other" leg.

Panic sets in! as it's Inferno week and the race is next Saturday (no, I haven't got a new catsuit).

Panicked PM to SZK who very, very kindly says "I'll be there when you arrive". Early departure from the H.O. and in Chamonix by 6.45pm having stopped off at the baby-Champion to collect a small, bottle-packaged offering.

Hoots of derision from the massed bootfitters as they immediately detect that (as I had somewhat feared) my new puppies are a size too large - I should have waited and bought at a real boot fitter's. More on that later, it is not all bad.

Anyway, a possible problem with the clogs being longer than I require is that they aren't quite conforming to my (by now) rather lumpy feet. "Welcome to the world of the WC boot!" notes an amused ZooKeeper(Small), "By the end of the season you'll have those things all over your feet."

Without much more ado it's out with his oversized dental kit. A bit of grinding here, a few bumps there and then a good old stretch. Could have been in an '80s aerobics class, except that there wasn't really any resemblance and certainly no lycra - that I was aware of anyway.

So, fingers crossed, the funny bits that stick out of the side of my feet will now be accommodated. I will find out over the weekend. Whatever the outcome, I know where I'll be heading of any future deformation is required. And, darn it, where I intend to buy my next set of boots Embarassed

A quick word on zoo-keeping: if anyone is thinking of buying boots - or having them fitted - I can't recommend Footworks highly enough.

And, on which, how about the size issue? As I was buying the boots this was the subject of some discussion. Clearly, I should have had more patience and waited. But what's the net effect? We discussed this at some length.

- I'm not racing WC. So I don't need the full treatment (i.e. an undersized boot that is bumped, ground and stretched until it bears no resemblance to its original self).

- so I have a boot that is definitely too longer than I need. But it still holds my foot much more closely than IIRC anything else I've used - so that's a step forward (I have relatively broad feet, I am led to understand).

- It has a rigidity and sensitivity (even when too long) that is quite brilliant - and is probably essential to get the best out of my skis (yes, they're silly too)

- If I had gone for the size down, I probably would require a lot more stretching, etc. to get it comfortable enough. As it is, this acute issue aside, they're the most comfortable boots I have yet used. And I've used a few.

- the increased size arrives with a higher cuff - giving me, the original 85lb weakling additional leverage on the ski. Probably no bad thing.

- I am allegedly "unconventional" so I imagine this means that normal rules don't apply??

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Let's see how things pan out...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks buddy, i love the way you write. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, a pleasure...Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch wrote:

- If I had gone for the size down, I probably would require a lot more stretching, etc. to get it comfortable enough.

How much extra width does one additional size give you?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, you'd need to ask SZK - 'twas his opinion. He might just have been making me feel better though wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
.....- so I have a boot that is definitely too longer than I need...

Does that have any implications regarding DIN settings etc?
I know that boot sole length is 1 factor in the DIN figure but is a small foot (and its attached leg) in a long boot at a greater risk than a longer foot in the same size boot?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, probably.

Sorry, does that sound too cavalier of me?

I don't think it's much more than about 5-6mm longer than it wants to be and I'm quite well held anyway. The boot sole is (IIRC) 305mm vs 295mm (last boot was a 25.5 this is a 26 but because of shell sizing I jump at least 2 shell sizes, etc.)

And I tend to ski on fairly light DIN settings (6ish mostly). So I'm not really worried. It's an art not a science (or rather, it's less than precise engineering not very precise engineering).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

and I'm quite well held anyway

David Murdoch, Errr.......too much information Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, as in too many lengths being disclosed? Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, I don't like the way you write .. wink

However I also had to make a trip to the 'Zoo' pre-Xmas.

Excellent .. Amazing .. How do they do it? ..... Problem gone ....

Folks -- Save a Fortune and visit the Zoo.....

MORE IMPORTANTLY ... ENHANCE YOUR SKIING ... what price ..MMhh??

I also took a Zooski-reccomendation...... Rooke on Tommy !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre, Is that you effort to change "SKIZOO?" Rooke on Tommy? I like it. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Jeez .. you're bright. Humble respect !! Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy