Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your opinion on DRIVING to AVORIAZ from GENEVA.

Poster: A snowHead
dandtd, I'm back down to Geneva on Wednesday, so if you're still stuck then, you might be in luck!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Laughing btw do you stay in Avoriaz and if so drive up that windt road oe leave car at les podaines? If the former what's it really like. I'm hiring a passat at geneva with winter tyres (what are those??) and chains
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ROY HOCKLEY sorry i didnt get back any sooner,the name is Geneva Airport Transfers. phone number 0033450545724 or0033619163706 ,www.genevaairporttransfers.com,ask for mike or marian brothers,great people,tell them that chris told you,if they say WHO,tell them pauls brother from paraventure,they might give you and any body else who is reading this a discount,ring them and talk to them ,its better than e mailing them. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Hockley, and the mini buses are spotless
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dandtd, no, we don't stay in Avoriaz. Can't help with advice on the road up - I've only ever been up there by lift, and don't know the place well at all. I'm sure you'll have a good time. Winter tyres will give you better traction and might save you having to use chains. I've discovered that the Cayenne we pulled out of the snowdrift was a Porsche, by the way. Fancy buying a 4WD Porsche and being towed out of a snowdrift by a Fiat Multipla! Laughing I'll bet the guy was pleased it was dark.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A winter tyre has a deeper tread than a summer tyre and has more sipes (cuts) than a summer tyre. It is also made of special silica rubber compounds which are better adapted to the cold and enable better braking.
There is a wee saying that says:

an icy road is
twice as slippery than a snowy road
four times more slippery than a wet raod
eight times more slippery than a dry road.

Though the roads were clear when we were there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The fact remains that snowchains are a wise investment, like good insurance cover. Hopefully, and quite likely, it will be some time before you need to take advantage of them.

I'm one of those Twisted Evil selfish blighters that hasn't yet made such a wise investment. But then I have a 4x4 and drive very carefully - happy to let more cavalier 4x4 drivers overtake me in 12inches of snow at hairpin defying speeds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dandtd, the roads in Les Gets and Morzine town are all clear of snow this evening, though I have not been up to Avoriaz for some time. The road up to Avoriaz is hair pin bendy - stunning views. I haven't driven it myself, just been a slightly nervy passenger! I believe we expect some snow on Thursday (but who knows?) so hopefully you would not need to use your chains before then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
driven up to Avoriaz twice in a small fiat and a small Renault. Both had Snow tyres, but despite some snow, chains not needed. Just take it easy, and smooth trying to keep momentum on the way up. Good underground carpark in Avoriaz, and of course a horse and sleigh ride to the appartment or hotel with your luggage. Great start to the holiday!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
driven up to Avoriaz twice in a small fiat and a small Renault. Both had Snow tyres, but despite some snow, chains not needed.

But that doesn't mean they wouldn't be needed the third time. Depends on the kind of snow, etc etc. And I believe I am right to say that if conditions are really bad the police do sometimes insist that even 4WD vehicles (like the one we pulled out of the snowdrift last week...) cannot proceed without chains.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chains were in the boot, - should have said.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Decided to park at Les Prodaines in the end which was a breeze to get to; roads clear and no need for chains. Glad I did as a load of snow was dumped the night before my return and more forecast for the day of the return so the windy road would have been a bit painful and chains would have been needed.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, you do get the odd situation as we have where chains are not recommended -as on our 4x4. The manager at the main dealer in Sallanches asked me exactly what winter version of the Paris-Dakar I was contemplating before offering to order a set with an 8 week wait and a €1,200 charge.

Proper snow tyres fitted though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, yes, the guy we pulled out of the snowdrift had probably just been driving his 4 x 4 too fast for the conditions, which were fairly slippy, though we had been fine with just snow tyres prior to stopping to help him.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, he wasn't Italian then?

...having averaged 10kph down from Champoluc after New Year. It was sort of slippy but there was only about 2cms of it...

How to spot Italian drivers - drive like maniacs on the motorway especially when someone tries to pass you then like muppets on a road demanding moderate skill and ability. Puzzled
snow conditions
torico wrote:
if you would like to miss out cluses( which if youa re driving on transfer day is a must!!) then there are a number of options to come off the autoroute blanche before the les gets turning . my favourite, and the route I use all the time from now is to take the grand bornand, la clusaz junction off the motorway, as you get off the motorway follow the signs for martigny . you then whizz along a fast A road parallel to the motorway, this then starts climbing and you come out on "muddy corner" as we like to call it, ie where the are warning signs for boue as you would normally rise out of cluses. you miss cluses completely and its a load faster !

This is a response to an ancient post that I found through Google, but we used this good idea yesterday, and fyi I think instead of Martigny it should read Marignier.
snow report
David Murdoch, I'm very interested in a 4x4 that is not recommended for chains.Which one is it? I currently have a Merc GL which can't take standard chains so I had to buy K Summits, but they are only £400. Snow chains on summer tyres are still a lot worse than winter tyres IMO.
snow conditions
@skribble, a Nissan Murano. Bizarrely, the Swiss/French manual states that if chains absolutely have to be used then only on the Front. The Canadian manual in English say only ever on the rear.

Anyway, 10 years, two Muranos and 3 sets of snow tyres later and never once had a traction problem, even in snow deep enough to require shovels in from to avoid undercarriage damage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy