Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hard-shell, soft-shell or insulated jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
was trying on some softshell jackets for the first time yesterday and have 2 comments/questions:-

1) How do you avoid electric shocks when taking them off? Cheapy and expensive - all i tried gave me a static shock when i took them off.

B) Do you get used to the feeling of wearing a baggy wetsuit?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you have to find what makes you happy.
I have some D2B stuff for indoor snow. ( D2B being a Regatta brand )Their salopettes are excellent for that, but i find really for Skiing Scotland mountaineering gear rules, to which XCR is my number 1 choice. I have a Columbia Soft Shell but find it 'sweaty' like Gore Windstopper as their breathability is impaired under my XCR jacket. But in retrospect and fairness to the softshell.. these are the future replacement hardshell jackets.
As I put on a previous post, a good base layer, fleece middle and a breathable outer works brill, but not when the fleece is a windstopper/windpro or soft shell in my case, but Polartec 200/300/Thermal Pro or TKA Fleece by NF. Just a case of finding the correct balance I guess, but I've found as I've got older, I get alot of cracking in the shoulder blade area so keeping it warm is a must, but not sweating to death.
I tend to keep mid layers to two light weight fleeces as you can ditch one in your back pack if your too hot.

I take everything now with me. Now hassles then wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

All you need in normal days is thermal underwear and the softshell which has a thin fleece lining (this will do until about -5 centigrades). Colder days, add a fleece (variable weights) inside a the softshell. You will not get as hot nor do you have to open all the vents all the time and then freeze and close everything. A good hood will improve the performance in louzy conditions

I would second that 100%...I have been wearing a softshell for the last two years and it's been pefect in all conditions, although I have not exprienced temps below -15°C, but since 95% of the time I don't even wear a fleece underneath, I think I could make the sofshell+fleece combo work at very low temps..
And my softshell is £25 job from Aldi.... wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry to drag this thread up yet again but I thought I'd better let you know how I got on after the fantastic advice. =)

Had a good read and decided hardshell was the way to go. Dug into my pockets, spent the money and bought the Mountain Equipment Changabang Jacket in green.

It arrived today (I'm wearing it now Very Happy ) and It's beautiful!! Love it already and can tell I'll get alot of use out of it all year round. Probably even a bit too sophisticated for my uses but who cares!!

Thanks guys for your advice!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fergus, good call.

Found the whistle yet?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fergus,

I ski in soft shell gear and have done so over the last couple of years! I find the gear much more comfortable and maneuverable. I was, however, concerned about the warmth, but I was completely surprised by the warmth of my Arcteryx Sabre jacket and Fury AR pants. I do use base layers obviously and typically wear a crew neck or turtleneck top under a another zip neck base layer. Earlier this month, I traveled to Chamonix, Switzerland and skied with the same gear. Remarkable that I didn't get cold despite the howling winds and at one point blizzard like conditions up on the mountain. The breathability of the soft shells really help to keep me comfortable despite sweating from the activity. Bottom line, I wasn't a believer until I tried it and now I wouldn't go back to hard shell...at least until Mother Natures throws me under the bus one of these days!

My best,

GPSnyder1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have just recently bought some softshell pants (mainly because they were less than half price at the Arcteryx Outlet store that's inconveniently located on my way home to tempt me in), I really like them.
I've always had hardshell up to now and never found them all that waterproof in torential rain - even my Goretex ones, so wasn't to bothered about the possible lack of waterproofness (though they seem to be okay for that so far), and regarding layering I normal have my merino long johns anyway. Softshell is an advantage here because I could probably go without the under-layer without feeling too odd - besides I don't often strip off that layer on the slopes (would be most unpleasant for anyone else/the wildlife). They have a much nicer feel than a hardshell.
Anyway they may get a proper rain test this weekend as it won't stop raining in Whistler (well at the weekend at least!) and have just about given up waiting for the weather to behave itself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oops didn't realise this was an ancient thread - guess technologies moved on...! Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy