Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hard-shell, soft-shell or insulated jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
My Kjus gear is excellent.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got some hard shell gear this season (North Face Free Thinker) as previous insulated kit is a bit too big for me (anyone want to buy a nice Vist ski suit in red, size large?). Impressed with the Free Thinker jackets and pants: lightweight, comfortable and I presume good in poor conditions. I can decide how many layers to have underneath the hardshell, so getting the temperature right has been easy so far this season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Insulated Goretex XCR jacket for me, with lightweight Merino wool base and mid-layers underneath. Seems to work fine from -20 to 0. Also fully waterproof and warm when used at home as a winter jacket. However, I do use softshells for DRY winter mountain biking because they do breath better than hardshells and biking is much more sweaty than skiing! But I use a Goretex Paclite shell for WET mountain biking, as I find softshells just don't cut it in those conditions. Obviously the last bit is not so important for skiing only use.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster, Merino itches. Well, it does on me...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just been to look at my 2nd hand Spyder Venom jacket - this has a waterproof/windproof outer shell and just an inner layer of breathable fabric to make it comfortable to wear - but no insulation. Is this a hard shell?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Got some hard shell gear this season (North Face Free Thinker)

I really like this jacket, but can't justify the price at the moment.

Cheers to whoever linked to the Haglöfs website - I'm really liking the look of their shells.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fergus, I ended up with two jackets (it's a long story Embarassed ); one bought on Ebay (this season's with the Goretex ProShell) and one from the North Face outlet store in Bicester (last season's with Goretex XCR). Paid the same price, £225, for each of the jackets, which was considerably cheaper than the retail price. Maybe give the outlet store a call to see if they'll have any more in?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
I've just been to look at my 2nd hand Spyder Venom jacket - this has a waterproof/windproof outer shell and just an inner layer of breathable fabric to make it comfortable to wear - but no insulation. Is this a hard shell?

Yes, it's a Hard Shell Jacket, so you'll need a Fleece under it on cold days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, Thanks, will pack a fleece when I take it Toofy Grin At least with this jacket for comparison and your information I now understand the difference between the hard shells and the soft shells Toofy Grin and I think I own both!!! (I've also got 3 good pairs of gloves) I hope I'm not becoming a gear junkie wink The thing is deciding what to take in April - I shall take both in February - I'm going to resort to the Venom (with that fleece underneath) if the weather gets as flippin' evil as it did one day last year - its got plenty of room for layering under it and keep the soft shell Trespass job for warmer days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, as regards your other jacket - if you don't know it is a soft shell, it isn't. You were describing an ordinary non-shell insulated ski jacket.

Shells are single thickness of material - either of goretex or something similar (hard shell) or conduit or something similar (soft shell).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
megamum wrote:
I am unlike some other mums

minimums for instance Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Then that must be what I have, an ordinary non-shell insulated ski jacket then - I bet a lot of folk ski in them. They seem perfectly serviceable items of clothing that seem to do what they say on the labels. They also seem perfectly able to command the sort of prices that these bonefide hard and soft shell jackets do. They mostly seem to have breathable liners and insulation, often having goretex in them, with waterproof technical outer fabrics, and lightweight technical insulation, they often have fully taped seams and heat dumping vents that can be opened, as well as hoods and snow skirts and all the periferal nicities such as good pocket space, lift pass holders, goggle cloths, electronics pockets etc. This is not a supposed list - I have spent probably more time than I should checking out what looks good value in TX Maxx and although you get all sorts to look through it can be an education at the same time. When this sort of jacket appears so serviceable for its intended use I'm surprised that people on here make so much out of these hard and soft shell solutions. Or am I missing something?

Re: Minimums - precisely!! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
When this sort of jacket appears so serviceable for its intended use I'm surprised that people on here make so much out of these hard and soft shell solutions. Or am I missing something?

It's not a big deal, just different approaches to doing the same job (keeping dry, from the inside and the outside, and warm). Wear what you feel comfortable in providing it does the basics of dry and warm, plus enough stowage for whatever bits and bobs must be carried. There's no one "right solution"; it's just personal choice.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 15-01-08 20:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
When this sort of jacket appears so serviceable for its intended use I'm surprised that people on here make so much out of these hard and soft shell solutions. Or am I missing something?

Yup - different strokes for different folks!

Soft shell is relatively new. Both hard and soft shell jackets have advantages and disadvantages over the more traditional type. For me the advantages are:
1. Compact - folds up smaller for packing.
2. Temperature control - more layers underneath for cold days, for very warm days, it might just be a T-shirt, but you're not going to be baking.
3. When you have layered up underneath, you don't resemble Bibendum, but can maintain your racing-snake physique.
4. Quick drying/easier cleaning - no waiting for a quilt to dry.

Disadvantages:
1. On very cold days (>-25C), you need lots of layers
2. Tend to have fewer internal pockets (but if you wear a gillet underneath, you'll have more)

(that's my reasoning why I have a shell at the minute. Who knows what I'll get next, I'm always ready to change my mind based on my desires/requirements)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Fair points and probably 50% of new trends in ski gear have a touch of emperors-new-clothes about them.

WTFH has it right as far as I am concerned, the ability to put a soft-shell gilet in a pack (or locker) and not to be wearing a fat insulated jacket open to the waist on hot days (bumps in the sun for instance - or skinning up a hill) is a real advance. As your skiing gets more high energy and the environments higher and more variable you may find you need different gear - but what you have obviously suits you fine.
snow conditions
I am a big hardshell fan as I often need a full weatherproof covering in generally warm weather. I just updated my 18 yr old Berghaus Goretex with a Mountain Equipment Changabang jacket and I can't rate it highly enough. Short waist so it doesn't get caught up in a climbing harness, masive pit zips so great venting under high level activity. I do tend to ask a lot from a garment though, so it's really not worth paying for features that you would hardly ever use.
latest report
I bought a "his/hers" matching soft shells for me and mrs Embarassed . I use my soft shell all the time - it is an outdated version now (Tog24 and not waterproof!) - and admittedly carry an XCR goretex outer hardshell for the worst weather. My missus Never wears her softshell, and now wears Nike ACG Goretex XCR hardshell with 2 thin layers underneath ( Toofy Grin too much information!!). The decision comes down to personal preference, type of skiing, quality of jacket... I am now considering the Millet Goretex Softshell... just a bit pricey.
snow conditions
While we are on the subject of layers am I supposed to wear the stockings, suspenders and bra over or under the base layer? Wink
latest report
DB, under would be such a waste.
latest report
DB, Knickers over suspenders always Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Have boarded in Gore-tex coats (softshell and normal) with layered fleeces etc underneatha nd was as warm as toast. Use an insulated jacket now that seems to do the trick. In any case, just wear some layers and if you get hot, take a small backpack and stash a layer or two in that - you can always put them on again if you need to.

Did board for a coiuple of days in a Berghaus Gore-tex softsehll and it was amazingly good. It just didn't have a snow skirt so my pants and t-shirt were always wet. Other than that, softshell seems to be pretty good. Smile
snow conditions
As an old fashioned low tech solution I still wear a Buffalo big face shirt (pertex and pile) under the Goretex in bad weather. The shirt on it's own without base layer is warm and dry down to high winds with approx -5C still air temp. I just love Buffalo type garments, a little heavy but great for cold and wet activities where you can't predict how or where you will end up.
ski holidays
Scarpa, I used to use my Trax Buffalo-a-like pile and pertex top for skiing. Snow used to stick to the inside of the fleece and then drip on me when I went inside.
snow conditions
nessy, The big face goes underneath the crotch (I can feel the gasps of excitement amongst female mountaineers from here... what do you mean by 'the tumbleweed is rolling'?) so there are no gaps for extra snow ballast to accumulate. I only wear it on it's own when hiking or climbing though, when skiing in very cold temps I put the salopettes under and hardshell over it (great wicking).
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I am a big hardshell fan as I often need a full weatherproof covering in generally warm weather. I just updated my 18 yr old Berghaus Goretex with a Mountain Equipment Changabang jacket and I can't rate it highly enough. Short waist so it doesn't get caught up in a climbing harness, masive pit zips so great venting under high level activity. I do tend to ask a lot from a garment though, so it's really not worth paying for features that you would hardly ever use.

I looked at this jacket too, but as you say, it's too much for me to pay if I'm not gettin full use of it's features.

The Changabang isn't 'ski specific' is it? Does it come with a powder-skirt?
latest report
powder skirts are only necessary if you spend a lot of time bum sledging
snow report
....... Embarassed
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
As an old fashioned low tech solution I still wear a Buffalo big face shirt (pertex and pile) under the Goretex in bad weather. The shirt on it's own without base layer is warm and dry down to high winds with approx -5C still air temp. I just love Buffalo type garments, a little heavy but great for cold and wet activities where you can't predict how or where you will end up.

I have one of these too. The original soft shell, long before the term was invented. Perfect for damp conditions or in varying temperatures - when worn next to the skin as intended, the vents really do work!

It used to be my standard skiing under-shell garment but I tend not to wear mine now unless I am expecting cold and wet conditions as these days I try not to look like the mountaineering bum that I used to be, and they do tend to have that look about them. I also gave up using the crotch strap, partly due to abuse from peers about it being my "gimp suit" and partly due to the fact that the strap always seemed to be wanting to head north.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, I agree. Also helps to have a high-waist ski trousers and not the low-hanging sloppy boarder gear to cover the legs and bum. How exactly one can ski with trousers that have lower cut than my jeans is beyond me. No wonder that they then compensate by wearing a skirt as well.
latest report
I think the original poster did not mean softshell by the wikipedia definition since the two jackets he mentioned were both waterproof. This style of softshell jacket is meant for continuous activity and I wonder if they may not suit resort skiing so much where you may spend more time sitting on the lift than being active.
snow conditions
nessy,

Valid point there are jackets with a softshell material that have a waterproof membrane. The terms "Hardshell" and "Soft shell" seem to be merging together as hardshells are becoming 'softer' and more fexible whereas some softshells are waterproof (and/or windproof). When comparing a softshell jacket that is neither waterproof or windproof with a hardshell I'd always go hardshell (if I could only choose one) as this type of softshell won't be suitable for all conditions. IMO a jacket made of a softshell material might be a suitable alternative to a hardshell if it has a waterproof membrane.
ski holidays
I think the general point which can be made here is that high quality in either soft or hardshell equals, unfortunately, high price. As for the choice between the two, the evolution as DB proposes, seems to lead to something of softer than the current hardshells. I still suggest that in 95 % of active skier cases the current top-range softshell is more comfortable than the (most likely more expensive) top-range hardshell. But then again, that is matter of personal choice and appreciation.
snow conditions
How many layers exactly are you wearing with just a soft shell or a goretex outer layer? When I was stood on the continental divide at -20, I was bitterly cold. I had on 3 layers and a ski jacket.
snow report
Fergus wrote:

Yes it does, I got one last year in the sales. Will field test for you next week snowHead
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Fergus wrote:

Yes it does, I got one last year in the sales. Will field test for you next week snowHead

The things snowheads will put themselves through just to help other snowheads is enough to bring a tear to a glass eye. Razz
ski holidays
DB, yes... The commitment I can see here for people to sacrifice their perfectly adjusted daily lives in cities, towns and villages in order to go to fresh Alpine air to test various gear extensively, is amazing. I really wonder those who claim that the modern European is a selfish animal who does not care for its co-humans [apologies for Martin Lukesism].
ski holidays
I have a Columbia soft shell for warmer days and it is just beautiful to ski in. I sometimes find myself just gently stroking it.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I sometimes find myself just gently stroking it.

Shocked
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I have a Columbia soft shell for warmer days and it is just beautiful to ski in. I sometimes find myself just gently stroking it.

Do you just wear your ski jacket while "stroking it" or do you wear your ski boots as well?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Fergus wrote:

Not only that but the ski skirt zips out if you don't need it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy