Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polar buffs - good or just gimmick?

Poster: A snowHead
Saw these today in a small local outdoor gear shop and was tempted, but they are quite expensive at about £17-18. Are they worth having? They certainly seem more practical than a scarf.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a buff all the time, can't remember the make though. They are great for covering your neck, and if it is really cold you can pull them up over your chin or even over your head as an extra layer.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, go for it. I nicked Mr HLs and he's just bought 2 more. they are nice and light and don't feel restrictive round your neck, and as Sage says useful in other ways too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got mine free from a pub, 4X beer gave them away free with every order a while ago. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spikyhedgehog, that sounds like my kind of price!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Almost identical things are available from lidl every 6 months for £2.99. We have a few of these and a few Buffs and cannot tell the difference.

However I find a balaclava with the bottom bit made of the same fleece, but with a stretchy thinner bit over the head much better. For me the trouble with the buff is there is too much of it, makes layering at the neck difficult, and the cloth bit freezes when damp. Better for mountain biking than skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly, I got a Lidl buff for that price to try - I certainly wouldn't pay the price you quoted - why not try ebay, I bet they go cheap on there too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't like the polar ones. The thick bit means it's hard to close your jacket to the top on cold days. The standard ones are good though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ideal for me as I get a cold neck and can't be doing with scarf ends flapping when skiing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
I don't like the polar ones. The thick bit means it's hard to close your jacket to the top on cold days. The standard ones are good though.

Ditto. Just the stretchy fabric for me. Good enough to keep my neck warm if it's cold, and if it's very cold I stretch it onto my head so it sits underneath my helmet/hat. Forms a nice seal against the elements. Did have a buff with the fleecy fabric part but didn't like it so gave it to a friend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah the fleece next to the skin sounds attractive, but the bulkiness sounds a good point to consider. I might see if they'll let me try some on so I can zip my jacket up and find out. Suspect I have missed the current Lidl boat - I do wish they'd have stuff in for more than a week or so at a time!

Had a look on Ebay but they're on "buy-it-now" & a similar price to in the shop I went to.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The thick bit means it's hard to close your jacket to the top on cold days.

I bought one from Trespass last year which is longer than a normal polar buff and has half made of a cotton material and half made of thin fleece and have found this is really good and no problem closing jacket right up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Linds wrote:
Quote:

The thick bit means it's hard to close your jacket to the top on cold days.

I bought one from Trespass last year which is longer than a normal polar buff and has half made of a cotton material and half made of thin fleece and have found this is really good and no problem closing jacket right up.

I tend to have the fleece bit up by my chin and the fabric at the bottom by my shoulders - no mega problem with zipping up
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got mine free too. Got two one black one grey, both given away in motorcycle magazines.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My local army surplus store sells them for £5. They are the proper army spec ones but as said above there is not really any difference between brands. One thing though is take a couple because vapour from your breath can build up on them.
ski holidays
I have one - got it as a present a few years ago - I wasn't sure I'd use it at first, and I didn't for a good 12 months until I went to Andorra and the temp was down to -10, I was glad I had it packed, used it in Sweden 2 years ago when it was even colder, down to -22 and it was on all the time, well worth the money in my opinion. I'll be taking it t Banff in a couple of week's time
snow report
Aaaah - I meant the thin one, I dont like the fleecy ones either (didn't realise the polar ones were different)
latest report
I've got a couple of them. Superb bits of kit. Use it for biking in the winter as well as skiing. As has been said, it's really good for sealing around the neck and the cloth bit can be pulled up over the face and you can still breathe through it. The ones i have have fleece at one end and a longer bit of the thinner material at the other end. I'd recommend the fleece one as it doubles up as a hat as well.
snow report
Bit of luck today - just happened to be in town & found a thin fabric one (not the fleece version) in a shop that was closing down!
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
Bit of luck today - just happened to be in town & found a thin fabric one (not the fleece version) in a shop that was closing down!

Another snowheads success story Very Happy

snowHead
latest report
Absolutely love both Buffs and polar Buffs. Use them for cycling, nordic walking, working at our woods, gardening, skiing - almost anything outdoors. I don't find the thin ones warm enough when the temperature is below -8 or so, and the polar ones are very good indeed.
latest report
I got one for Christmas from my Mum. Will be trying it out in March. Mine is a Polar Buff one and you can wear it about 18 different ways apparently!
snow report
Dobz, more than 18, that guy on the video has nothing on us. I'm not sure I want to admit this on a public forum but we once spent quite a while playing a game where you had 10 seconds to fold the buff into something, no repeats allowed. We definately got well over 100 Shocked Embarassed rolling eyes
snow conditions
I mainly use mine for taming my hair - under my helmets (cycling and skiing) and when I go scuba diving. I don't know that the polar one would be any good under water though Confused . And you have to get the folding lengths correct otherwise you may end up with a 'balloon' on your head as the expelled air inflates it.
snow report
Butterfly, They are good. Splash the cash!!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Buffs and polar Buffs

There's a difference Puzzled
ski holidays
diffrent types explained here:
http://www.buffwear.co.uk/catalog/
snow conditions
kevinrhead, Am now more informed - I now know that my Lidl job is a polar buff - about one third fleece and 2 thirds fabric. I assumed it just sat around the neck!! However, I have now retrieved it from the back of the cupboard where I had slung it without any real idea that I had bought anything remotely useful with no real idea that I would ever use it - I just got it 'cos at the price it was curiosity got the better of me, and it folds into all the things that they show on the video Very Happy I like the idea of the balaclava - I've told you all about the day last year it was as though the wind was slinging ice shards against you face - the kids have got balaclavas this year but so far I was going to make do with a scarf pulled well up - not any more - I shall be taking my 'Buff' lookalikee this year Very Happy It might even be worth taking to VT as a single item instead of a beeny hat and scarf. Thanks for the thread Butterfly, at least I now know what to do with my fabric tube!!

DH says that they are also available in motorbike shops for a very modest price - he already seemed to know about them, but I'd smuggled my one in without telling him so he hadn't seen it until tonight!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got two buffs for Christmas (a 'normal' buff and a polar buff in the exact same colour/pattern - long story, don't ask Smile). I'm sold already - normal buffs make great hats Smile
ski holidays
They are excellent thingys! Bit pricey maybe but we have all converted and ditched our old neck warmers. The real beauty (and adults & kids agree on this!) is being able to bring the thinner bit of fabric over your face and still breathe when on freezing chairlifts (its thin enough to secure under goggles too so you get a complete seal Madeye-Smiley )
Great for all sorts of outdoor stuff if that makes you feel any better about price..........
snow conditions
With my shaved head I always tend to keep a Buff in my pocket for those sunny sits outside with a cold beer at lunchtime. Sun hurts Confused
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
but I'd smuggled my one in without telling him so he hadn't seen it until tonight!

thought I was the only one who did that with new acquisitions Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy