Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel to & from Wengen... Planes, Trains and Electric Rickshaws.

Poster: A snowHead
So... If I could ever get the VL to respond to my emails, it looks like my group of 10 will be inhabiting the very same rooms from 15th-22nd March that the MSB'ers will be vacating. Please ensure that you don't do anything unsavoury in the rooms as we don't want to make any unusual discoveries. Oh and no weeing in the pool/jacuzzi thingies either!

So we have the choice of either Birmingham to Berne at about £130 return or Luton to Basel at £45 return. Return flight time on Berne flight (10:40am departure) appears to make it an early start from Wengen. Are we likely to make a significant saving (yeah, I know it's about an hour and a half longer on the train) on flying to Basel and transferring (£60-ish transfer costs?) than we are from Berne (unknown transfer costs)? Or would you say it's simply worth going to Berne as it's that much of a quicker transfer?

Ta. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Berne transfer is CHF76 per person return

http://www.downhillonly.com/download/flybe08.pdf

Berne is the best option IMO.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-01-08 19:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll second that, you will take a lot less time than is listed because harly anyone stays in Interlaken, typically 45mins from airport to Lauterbrunnen station, oh and you will be out of Berne airport 10mins after you walk across the tarmac from the plane, realistically you will probably not actually need to leave Wengen till about 7 or 7.30 so not too early, biggest advantage is getting to the resort with plenty of time on your first day to sort out equipment hire/ski schools etc rather than needing to do it first thing the next morning
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basel transfer from the airport will take you around 4 hours from leaving the airport. Transfer sets you back around CHF130... therefore, another vote to Bern, as the better arrival times are also worth a thing or 2
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys. With arrival at Berne and telford_mike's link, we could be in resort for around 1pm then from Berne? Is it quick and easy to get up from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen then? A few swiss francs each on the train?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CHF6 on the train - takes 14 minutes Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, I'd not be surprised if you were there before 12pm
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plenty early to wave at the MSB'ers with a big grin on your face Wink

(Which is what I will do as well, I leave sunday evening ;P)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, yes, hopefully there will be tonnes of snow falling as we arrive and they'll all be Going green snowHead

With my track record with snow... I somehow doubt it though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carled, No you should be alright, after I left Wengen last year the second biggest dump of the season (after the huge dump at the start) happened, and I leave the day after the fast majority of the MSB guys.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well tarnation. I came in here expecting to see "super snowhead" or something against my name and I'm still just "hors piste..." Crying or Very sad Oh well, it'll happen soon enough.

A mega-thanks to all who have helped. The wengen trip is ON. VL here we come and, as admin pointed out, with the discount received it would have been rude not to help out with a donation. Not flushed with cash at present, but I'm sure every little bit helps! We've plumped for the Berne flights from Brum, so should be in resort some time around lunchtime on Saturday 15th. I hope to arrive to thick falling powdery snow and a load of envious looking MSB'ers just leaving...!

Stab, tell 'em to get the doughnut machine warmed up... Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled, I believe I read admin is on holidays himself, so that would explain the lack of title change Wink

See you around on saturday/sunday 15/16th of march!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Berne is the best option, love it when they start to decend into Berne as its straight down so quickly (bit like a rollcoaster ride... Laughing )

Dont forget when you get off the train/coach you turn right towards the Murrenbahn Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Berne is the best option, love it when they start to decend into Berne as its straight down so quickly (bit like a rollcoaster ride... Laughing )

Dont forget when you get off the train/coach you turn right towards the Murrenbahn Laughing Laughing
Sorry, that should read...Turn left towards Wengen snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled wrote:
...should be in resort some time around lunchtime on Saturday 15th. I hope to arrive to thick falling powdery snow and a load of envious looking MSB'ers just leaving...!

As I'll be one on the bashers still there (late flight home) we may bump into each other along the way.

BTW does anyone know the German translation for "put it on carled's tab"? It could be a handy phrase to have during MSB week wink
snow conditions
I'll be arriving by car on the 15th with my son. We are doing self catering in the Residence Rose. Looks like there will be a few snowHead 's around.
ski holidays
geepee, make sure you book your car space in the Lauterbrunnen car park (just incase its busy !!) -

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-250/
ski holidays
Quote:
start to decend into Berne as its straight down so quickly
Shocked Shocked Sad
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
love it when they start to decend into Berne as its straight down so quickly

At night you can clearly see the lights at Berne airport from the top of Mannlichen - it looks about 5 miles away - actually about 50 I think Madeye-Smiley

Yes, it's a nice approach by the look of it:

snow report
Quote:

At night you can clearly see the lights at Berne airport from the top of Mannlichen - it looks about 5 miles away - actually about 50 I think

Actually it's closer to 30 miles as the snowhead flies, it just seems longer because of all the twisty roads you need to go on to get there, bus drivers can get from Belp to Lauterbrunnen in 50 mins without speeding.

Nice shot of Belp Berg in the upper right of the pic by the way
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:

Actually it's closer to 30 miles as the snowhead flies

I wish our taxi driver measured it that way Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
geepee, make sure you book your car space in the Lauterbrunnen car park (just incase its busy !!) -

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-250/

Thanks for that Chris, but I see from the web site that car parking spaces must be claimed by 19:00 and we might make that but only if all goes well. What if we arrive after 19:00, what are our options ?
ski holidays
if you arrive after 19:00 then you will probably be shot and left to die.
ski holidays
On a slightly more serious note (stab is afraid you'll trash his mountain), send the jungfraubahnen a mail about the arrival time thing Wink
ski holidays
geepee, dont worry about that, we normally arrive around that time and the space is still reserved just leave comments in the box
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
BTW does anyone know the German translation for "put it on carled's tab"? It could be a handy phrase to have during MSB week wink

It's okay. Major Tom speaks good English Toofy Grin
snow report
oi! pack it in!
snow conditions
Ronald wrote:
On a slightly more serious note (stab is afraid you'll trash his mountain), send the jungfraubahnen a mail about the arrival time thing Wink

Thanks Ronald and Chris Brookes, I'll take your advice re booking and email. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab wrote:
if you arrive after 19:00 then you will probably be shot and left to die.

A risk worth taking me thinks. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy