Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yellow diamonds on a piste map...?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, you really are a naughty boy saying that drosset is relatively straightforward! OK, so its not the 2000 bowl, but steep it most certainly is.

kewhoward, it depends on so many things as to what is hard , easy etc, (conditions as you mentioned) and your own particular likes and dislikes.

In ranking order given similar conditions, I would say from easiest to most satisfaction on completion (all are 'exhilarating' in their own way) -

Bosses. That steep bit is in a gully, so if you don't like narrow skiing, it's not for you.
Deux Tetes, short steep and over quickly, but can be icy.
Grand Col, but if you don't like moguls then watch out: having said that they are normally well and evenly spaced, and a good place to get a rhythm going and improve technique. And one wickedly steep pitch over an edge that can catch you out something rotten. My wife's favourite run of the resort.
Aguille Rouge - the black pitch is short and brutish, but once past the first 150m is fantastic - wide open, the views, the sheer buzz of a great experience. I prefer the black to the red narrow lumpy path at the top. A truly 'must do' run.
Bois de L'Ours: great viewing of the ambitious intermediates from our balcony: the traverse at the top often has many many tracks across it and hence difficult to turn out of, or across (when on the fall line). Snow conditions are not always the best on that face - tends to crusty. A popular (and hence often cut up), but long run, and if you are not fit, the trees / bushes at the end will catch you out.
Comborciere, often icy and snow blown/skidded off the pinch points - can be a real pig if it wants to be, and can be bumpy. On the other hand have made it top to bottom with no stops on a spring-snow day - so pick your moment.
Lanchettes - under the varet gondola. I love that run, it is steep moguls from top to bottom, but just great. A real challenge. Close to the KL, so able to pay respects to memory of Cait Tovar, british speed skier killed there last year. My favourite.
Drosset. You don't fall over, more lean against the mountain. When you complete that, you know you've earned a break at the bottom (PS yes, you ski out to the comborciere chair)

-------

Confess Blanc, Genepi and others in 2000 bowl have passed me by to date, having been closed when I've been there the last couple of years due to poor snow conditions - open last week, but was off-piste for most of the time, and missed them again! hopefully they will be open at Easter and I'll have a go then.

As for challenges, you have to first find, and then experience Malgovert - a 'red'. Haha. (Maybe they should do a T shirt? "I participated in Malgovert...")

Ecurielles - like FC only done in sheet ice, and didn't enjoy.

But usual caveats apply -this is a personal list, and I am sure others will place in a completely different order for you...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ThanksJimW, i'll digest this carefully before the kids talk me into going down them.... snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimW wrote:
rob@rar, you really are a naughty boy saying that drosset is relatively straightforward! OK, so its not the 2000 bowl, but steep it most certainly is.

Embarassed Sorry, I get a bit confused to what's considered steep and not Smile

I agree with JimW's comments and would add one to the list: 'Rouelles' from near the top of the Comborciere lift dropping down to Arc 1600. I don't think it's that steep (but others might have different views Wink) and when snow conditions are good it's a fabulous run from top to bottom. Sometimes bumps, sometimes pisted, it has great views into the Tarentaise valley and is tree-lined for most of it's length.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimW, Ecurielles... Every time I've been to this run I've found it in very good condition. Being on the edge of the piste map it seems to get very lightly used and hence I've never experienced moguls on it in 8 years of returning to Les Arcs. It's a great run for a snowboarder, fast, not mogulled, and i wouldn't say it has any particularly steep pitches... compared to some of the other blacks in resort i'd say it was one of easier. Dare I say it should be a red ? Great fun anyway!

rob@rar, Rouelles, thanks for pointing that out... I stare at the piste map every year to pick out the runs I've not yet done and I can't beleive I've not tackled that yet!

Malgovert, yup, what a hoot... having read comments on this site, I persuaded my mates it was a good idea to give it a go a last year... in not particularly good conditions. Shock
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richie_S, Yeah maybe I was unlucky - and that's what conditions will do for you. In retrospect I guess I shouldn't have expected anything else since all of the stuff that low at PV was in pretty poor shape when we gave it a go. But you're right about 'no bumps' , all we saw was ice! Maybe I should give it another go...

Did they ever follow through on the rumoured move of old Plan Bois chair out that way (the one replaced by the Derby)?

rob@rar, of course, how could I forget Rouelles - nice pitch, nice bumps, and when we did it last week - niiiiice powder!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy