Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 Reasons Why Skiing in Scotland is Better than Skiing in France

Poster: A snowHead
johnboy wrote:
Another plus point is the lack of French

spot on, however, at least the French can speak our language wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball wrote:

The steak one I would put in favour of France, personally.

Surely not - Scotland has brilliant Aberdeen Angus beef, and there are restaurants who will cook it as you wish - I prefer medium rare Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I definatly perfer my local butchers meat to anything I've had in France. Very Happy However the skiing in France is better rolling eyes
petrol is cheaper as well Sad

1 cheapest stations within 5 miles of "IV41 XXX" for Unleaded...
---------------------------------------------
Station : Central Garage
Address : Main Road, Kyle Of Lochalsh, IV40 8AG
Brand : Gleaner
Distance: 2.42 miles
Price : 107.9p
Updated : 07-01-2008

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-01-08 20:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink,

The Aberdeen Angus thing is just a bit of clever marketing. The Dept of Ag Food Science division ran a blind taste test at Balmoral Show (Belfast) a few years ago.

They had Aberdeen Angus vs Holstein (A dairy breed, therefore not bred for beef).

The Holstein came out significantly better!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LOL, worra laugh!

ro55mac, check out the mountain bike world championship photos on the Nevis website

uktrailmonster wrote:
Do they even get snow in Scotland anymore?

I seenk you may be extracting ze wee wee!
stoatsbrother wrote:
achilles, the alps are closer to me... 50 mins to the tunnel. 7 hours driving the other side to Chambery. And by plane it is a no-brainer.

The negative side being you have to live in Sussex the rest of the year NehNeh
Agenterre wrote:
johnboy, The Scots and Froggies think of themselves as kindred spirits .. something to do with some poof called Charles ... (oops incoming !!)

LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

'tis true though, I always get a better reception from the French when they realise ('coz I tell 'em loudly) I'm a Scot rather than Eeeeengleesh Cool
snowball wrote:
holidayloverxx, I looked into doing what you did to Bourg St Maurice, but to Scotland - but the sleeper gets to Fort William rather far into the morning (especially given that the nearest skiing is still about 4 or 5 miles away (or 24 to Glencoe) and I'm not sure how often buses go to the ski lifts (or even if they do).

The Aviemore one gets in much earlier though... honest Toofy Grin
Chris Craggs wrote:
http://uk.youtube.com/v/TlBHK4eo56k

this is 50% of my recollection of Scottish skiing

the other 50% is colder, windier and more miserable than Siberia

Puts hairs on yer chest!

As she said... if you can ski Scotland Cool

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 15-01-08 0:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre, the Auld Alliance predates the effeminate Italian/English/Polish pretender by over 400 years ! Back to the history books for you Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
......28. Find me a garlic-eating surrender monkey at the top of a black run at Glencoe

WW1 death tolls - figures differ by reference- but roughly according to different references:
France & Empire: 1,327,000
Britain & Empire: 908,300

Source http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

Given the hammering the 'surrender monkeys' received in WW1, I can see why some French were no too keen to keep fighting when in WWII - huge blow though that was for us.

Didn't more french fight for the germans in WW11 than the amount of french who fought for/with the British?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
79. Scotland is closer to the North Pole, so it gives you more of that 'Lapland experience'.
80. The mountains are more rounded, and the skiers are more rounded too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
81. You can't get haggis in France.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, and your point is ? Sounds like a good argument for France...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jumping Jack Flash, I don't know. Did they? I am unaware of that - guess you have a source for that information, and I would be interested to see it. Whatever, their 1st World War record suggests they were anything but 'garlic-eating surrender monkeys ' I do hope the English speaking French guide I will be skiing with this month does not read this thread. On the whole, I don't think SHs are racists.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
81. You can't get haggis in France.

Or stovies!

My one disappointment this last weekend in Scotland was that I didn't find stovies on the menu anywhere - YUM! Toofy Grin

Had some haggis with the excellent breakfast at Insch Lodge on Sunday though Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
... their 1st World War record suggests they were anything but 'garlic-eating surrender monkeys ' I do hope the English speaking French guide I will be skiing with this month does not read this thread.

I'm more concerned he might watch The Simpsons. They called the French "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" which is far worse.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
82. You can walk out of the cold into a proper old local pub (not just for tourists and seasonnaires with a mock Brit pub ambience), be greeted and chatted to by the locals in your own language, drink the locally brewed ale (if that's yer thang), sit down by the wood burner and *check out the ancient skis propped up behind it along with various other bits of old mountain kit*.
(FYI, the pub is in the Suie Hotel in Kincraig and is well worth a visit and the beer is Trade Winds brewed by the Cairngorm Brewery - absolute nectar, especially after a bracing day on the Scottish slopes!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
87. And, of course, Aviemore has a Tesco. Find me a French supermarket that can sell me a Ski yoghurt after a day on the slopes.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
achilles wrote:
... their 1st World War record suggests they were anything but 'garlic-eating surrender monkeys ' I do hope the English speaking French guide I will be skiing with this month does not read this thread.

I'm more concerned he might watch The Simpsons. They called the French "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" which is far worse.

Homer Simpson is your role model or excuse? Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
He's my role model. One of the great tree-hugging environmentalists:
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/misc/safety_skiing.gif
snow report
Best thing about skiing in Scotland rather than Chamonix is the lack of English !!!
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
snowball wrote:

The steak one I would put in favour of France, personally.

Surely not - Scotland has brilliant Aberdeen Angus beef, and there are restaurants who will cook it as you wish - I prefer medium rare Madeye-Smiley

Yes, sorry, the meat is great (well, it can be) - I was thinking of how often I've had overcooked steaks in England.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 15-01-08 16:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball, ahem. England?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
91. As has often been remarked, Scottish ski lift queues are more friendly and respectful than French lift queues. If you try anything clever on Cairngorm you get impaled on the nearest snow fence.
snow report
achillesYes, I can't remember how the couple of steaks I've had in Scotland were cooked - so I was thinking sort of "British".

However - good scottish food: Cullen Skink and Cranachan. (And if you are in Fort William again go to the Crannog seafood restaurant right on the seafront (fish direct off the fishing-boats). Great food - I can recommend the langoustine. If I offer you a tot from my hip flask it will be Lagavulin.

I have never forgotten the self-organised lift queues at Aviemore - when the line got too long a second line was started parallel to it (and finally, I think, a third).
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
.......... If I offer you a tot from my hip flask it will be Lagavulin............

Thank you! snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowball, finally a third ! In the halcyon weekends of the 80s, the White Lady queue used to get to 10+ lines on a regular basis !
snow report
Yes, it was best not to queue for 45 minutes and then fall off the t-bar halfway up, because you'd probably have to queue again!

In fact, legend has it that the lifty on the White Lady had an axe and was willing to chop up the skis of queue offenders.
snow conditions
brian Wow, I thought it was busy with 3 Shocked (Yes, it was the White Lady)
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
achillesI have never forgotten the self-organised lift queues at Aviemore - when the line got too long a second line was started parallel to it (and finally, I think, a third).

I vaguely recall them but noticed on Saturday at Nevis that the ski patrol were very active in marshalling people and keeping the queues moving, they were almost like traffic cops. I recall from the old days on Cairngorm that the ski patrol did similar things at times but I'm not sure they were quite as proactive.

What was marvellous, after getting used to somewhat more scrum like queues in France in recent years, was the good humour, friendliness and politeness of the queues in Scotland - it was actually quite relaxing and they moved very fast.

Having said that at Xmas in Espace Killy the rudest, most aggressive queue bargers all turned out to be Brits (English to be precise!) when I challenged 'em!
snow conditions
C'mon guys, it's gone a bit quiet but there's got to be loads more reasons why Scotland's better, we only have 90 odd so far Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
103. Scottish mountain names are more dramatic.

Buachaille Etive Mor
Not necessarily to be skied!
snow report
roga wrote:
C'mon guys, it's gone a bit quiet but there's got to be loads more reasons why Scotland's better, we only have 90 odd so far Laughing

91. I like to go to Scotland to learn a foreign language.

92. It is novel to ski in a thirdworld country.
snow report
Just can't understand why anyone would want to ski either France OR Scotland when they could go to Austria or Switzerland wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
There are no sausages in Switzerland!
latest report
96b. Scottish sausages (not to be confused with re-shaped Haggis) are considered by some to be superior to Swiss, Austrian or French sausages. Nothing burns the calories like a vigorous slide over wild Scottish slopes, and nothing restores the calories like a hearty Scottish sausage or three.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
96b. Scottish sausages (not to be confused with re-shaped Haggis) are considered by some to be superior to Swiss, Austrian or French sausages. Nothing burns the calories like a vigorous slide over wild Scottish slopes, and nothing restores the calories like a hearty Scottish sausage or three.

Would that be square sausage (aka lorne) or links? Or if you are feeling generous, steak slice Smile
snow conditions
Yes, square sausage. Get the geometry right and the flavour follows.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Square slice is actually usually trapezoidal. Do I get extra pedantry points for that ? rolling eyes

We used to get a "roll and heart attack" from a wee takeaway when I was a student in the Weedge. Square slice, tattie scone and egg. Yum Very Happy
ski holidays
104. We can also ski in France, if we fancy a rest. Laughing

105. Has it been mentioned that the average standard of skiing in Scotland is higher than France ?

106. Skiing in Scotland is a more joyous and friendly sport.
snow report
roga, ah the Suie that was my not very local local when i was staying in Alvie. You don't drink beer there though, shorts are the way to go. I'll have a Highland Park, ach theres no much left in that one, just get another bottle, pours liberally into large tumbler "I cant be bothered with measures" snowHead
snow conditions
Ski in France OR Scotland and yer photo's will get nicked by the Ski Club
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Now now, the correct bashing thread is this one - spread the bashing and you'll dilute the impact.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy