Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plagne 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Plagne 1800 (wahoo!) in a week or so. After previous questions which recommended Oxygene, it has been decided (by powers greater than me) that the kids should be taught in 1800 rather than Plagne Centre as there will be noone to accompany them up there...(aged 4,-6).

Question, what beginner lifts are there in 1800 village, ie is there a moving carpet, drag etc or is Plagne Centre the only place to go?

Any advice greatfully received...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martski, TThere is a nice drag lift with a good learner slope, from what I can remember. The ski back to 1800 from Cntre or Aime2000 is not the easiest however.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martski, Purely from observation whilst skiing through 1800 (It's on a quick route back to Montalbert)there is a very good nursery area and a couple of drag lifts and a beginners rope tow as well. There may be a short moving carpet to. Staying in 1800 imho is the right choice wink As FtS says access from Centre or 2000 can be iffy, but in any case there is a very efficient FOC ski bus service linking all the 'high altitude' areas. Very Happy
Nadenoodlee did a season with Silver ski in 1800, she may remember a bit more about the beginners area.

PS. please don't be tempted to take the chairlift back down to 1800 - - It slows down those coming up wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't understand - we stayed in 1800 a couple of years back, but everyone hopped on the bus upto centre for lessons... 1800 itself has the sum total of about 1 run (IIRC) with a small beginner lift, but nothing to easily progress too..

PC has a great beginners run (under the building) and then wilth lots of other runs to easily progress too - Why would you not want to make it easier for the kids?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been to Plagne about 5 times now! Reflex are a very good ski school and I recommend a guy called Cristophe. Although anyone who skies backwards off piste down the edge of a black run whilst instructing you is pretty good!

I agree with above though Plagne Centre has a number of very easy runs and a short chair on the left side as you look at the mountains and a number of gentle slopes with drags in the middle. You really would be better off in the centre.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But everyone, martski said there was nobody to accompany two children aged 4 and 6 up to Plagne Centre. They can't take the bus on their own. If they do kids first lessons in 1800, and there's a nice little area and nursery slope, that's all they're likely to need anyway. We stayed in 1800 years ago. I don't remember taking any buses, just skied to and from (I had lessons in Centre). I don't remember the details, but I remember it was a bit of a fiddle. For kids, being very close to base has a lot to commend it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stayed there a few years ago. I remember the small kids in our party (not mine) were with Oxygene and had lessons in 1800 which seemed ideal for them for the week. The lift out of 1800 is fine and gives non-beginners easy access to Aime and the Centre or to Montalbert.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers guys,

Consensus seems to be Plagne Centre good, Plagne 1800 not so good. I think start them off in 1800 with Reflex or ESF and then they can go up chair when better...it is possible I could take them up to Centre but will have a 2 year old to look after as well (it will be worth it for an afternoon skiing every day....won't it? wink )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a small drag lift and a very nice slope for them to learn on. There is no moving carpet. We joined the piste there every morning over Christmas and I would assume there will be very little traffic there other than complete novices. So assuming you get a good teacher they should soon progress. There was a very large nursery at PC.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
But everyone, martski said there was nobody to accompany two children aged 4 and 6 up to Plagne Centre.

But that's the bit I don't understand...why is there no-one to take them to ski-school? IIRC then unless you're right at the bottom of the hill in 1800 then you'll have to take the kids down to ski-school (it's not very easy for a 4 year-old to find their own way) yourselves, and actually if you took them up to PC on the bus then you're heading in the right direction for going up the moutain.

IIRC 1800 is not very convenient for getting out of and getting high, other than by heading over to aime. If you want to head up the grand rochette or glacier, then PC is a much better starting point (IMHO)..

I stick with my first opinion..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, Its quite simple, wife will be at ski school, I will be looking after a 2 year old (morning only I hasten to add Toofy Grin ). Therefore a very short walk of about 2 minutes down to the nursery at 1800 with a buggy and a few kids would be infinately preferable to a bus ride...perhaps should just bung em all in day care, but I am looking forward to not being the selfish snowhead I normally am...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I worked there and I reckon Plagne 1800 will do them fine and I understand that trying to take a 2 year old and a 4 and a 6 year on the bus to Plagne Centre will be a royal pain in the back bottom fro sure. Id have enough trouble with my 2 year old on her own !!!! I think you've done the right thing. Just make sure that if they are doing well you talk to the instructor and see if they can get off that one slope in 1800. The instructors in La Plagne can be quite lazy in my experience. I dont really understand why as when I taught I got bored and if anything tried to progress people as fast as possible onto more interesting runs !

Enjoy...!

if you really wanted to do PC lessons then you could get one of those ruck sacks for kids and put the 2 year old in that Puzzled That would work. But honestly much less hassle the way you planned it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, thanks.

Next question, can anyone recommend a decent boot fitter in Plagne?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy