Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some news from the Tarantaise ....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An account of our holy grail last weekend to ski/manoeuvre from La Plagne to Val Thorens in search of the best waffles (Waffys) in Europe may have already been recorded here by jonpim, but this weekend equals that epic journey. As the La Roche cqrrier pigeon has not yet learned to fly digitally, I have only a short 10 minutes or so on-line here while a binding is repaired.

Although nursing a heavy cold which I felt must at least be bird flu, as I felt fowl .... Toofy Grin we deployed the TD5 Vanoise Express to Les Arcs on Saturday where myself, B and S skied Les Arcs powder non-stop, in an excitable state, from just after 9:00 until 15:30, when like gibbering, grinning idiots we wolfed down bowls of soup at Pre St. Esprit. It snowed all day and although visibility was poor it was a hoot. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Auto pilot ski-by-feel was the order of the day and although I had on my MK 11 Powder traces, I was the only one not to have a 'negative event' all day Very Happy (Little 'sit-downs' weren't considered when gathering the statistics) Toofy Grin ... so couldn't conduct proper field tests. Never skied more continuous powder Very Happy It was 'well magic' all day Very Happy Our good luck held as the Funiculaire packed up as we got back down to Bourg - it probably had bird flu too.

Verse 2 . Conditions on Sunday meant that all roads led to Val d'Isere/La Fornet. The larks were quite sleepy when we got there and from Val d'Isere we swiftly made our way to the top of Solaise on the first chair Very Happy to recon the Couloir du Lancher. However, as inviting as it looked, we decided against and activated Plan B, 'Les Danaides' which was a run I hadn't done before, but which was absolutely stupendous Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Having come down the steepish bit, we skied on rather than taking the left to Lavancher. Route focus was important as error wasn't going to be a good option, but our guide is a topper (I am not going to mention his name any more as i could only book him for TWO days during January, due in part to my over zealous promotion of his attirbutes Toofy Grin ) I mention at this stage that we dedicated this Sunday to the memory of our darksider friend Dan, lost so tragically last Wednesday. We will also offer up a prayer for him later at the little Chapel at the top of the Col d'Iseran.

From the top we skin up to the crest of the North Face of Pointe Pers. The weather conditions are absolutely brilliant. Superb Very Happy We ski the first steep part one at a time and it is awesome Very Happy The powder is superb. We are totally ga-ga with delerium and transported to a different world Very Happy I hope I shall experience more of such days this season, but this moves comfortably into No 1 Day 2008 Very Happy The delight goes on with powder above the knees and in our open, gibbering mouths Toofy Grin Sublime ..... Very Happy

We stop for our luncheon just beyond the Prariond refuge, at the memorial, where we also remember the brave and unfortunate escaped WWII British POWS, who perished in a blizzard some few hundred metres from the safety of the Refuge.

I had almost foregotten just how good a Pain au Beaufort, with extra generous filling of jambon and brie tastes wink Yum ... yum .... It's good to be alive.

Legs and body dropped a gear after this veritable feast - though dropped jaws and and smilies remained the same until we had to rope up for the 'sticky-out-bit' of the upper Malpasset gorge track. It was pleasing to note no 'buttock-clenching muscle wastage had occurred over the Summer months. The skate out is punishing in a sadistically enjoyable way and comments on my singing voice lead me to retaliate Toofy Grin The Super U 'jambon superieur' and brie give me the stamina edge and I arrive first at La Fornet about five metres ahead of our laughing guide - who no doubt is humouring me wink We take a litre of fizzy Badoit water and remember Dan. Goodbye Dan, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
..... sorry this was in three bits ...... limitations of technology ..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great stuff Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC, Such happines and sadness Very Happy Crying or Very sad

A most memorable day, thanks for sharing it with us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A great read (as usual) BernardC, vaguely able to follow the route on the Espace Killy piste map. You definitely were able to contemplate the two sides of the coin of snowy mountains.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, Indeed happy and sad and a reminder of the dangers of the mountain Sad

Your mention of the wartime memorial along with the ceremonies we saw in the area during August remembering wartime events.
(There is a fairly large RAF memorial in Plagne centre complete with model spitfire and container that was used to drop arms to the resistance holed up in the mines at what is now 1800.)
Prompts me to ask if you or anyone else knows of the wartime history of the area, I have tried the internet but what little information there is tends to be rather vague.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC, lovely report (esp the sad bits), I also had a fab day (on-piste) at Les Arcs on Saturday - memorable. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy