Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - hand luggage or suitcase?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Peeps,

Bought a helmet and wondered what is the safest way to transport...do people fit theirs in suitcase, carry on or transport another way??

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
willd, Ours went in the suitcase, along with boots, I'd rather that than bulky hand luggage. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suitcase - ? would be too wide to fit through the size gauge they use now. Boots in Hand Luggage however...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On head?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I carry mine (if I bother to take it) in the centre of my hold baggage surrounded and filled by soft clothing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
willd, In luggage, protecting goggles / sunnies, camera. not sure it would go in some overhead lockers or under the seat in front on smaller aircraft
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I courier mine over seperately, wrapped up in cotton wool, using the same firm that the health service use for moving transplant organs around the country. If they're not available I used the guys that transport high-level nuclear waste.

You can't be too careful with fragile equipment like helmets, after all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NickB, maybe not quite as funny as you think, if you have a carbon fibre helmet.

Quote:
However composite materials have some disadvantages, e.g. internal defects invisible on the surface caused by a low energy impact. These defects, if disregarded, could keep growing and cause the crash of the structure

As an ex aeronautical maintenance engineer, I would not buy a carbon fibre helmet because damage cause by low impact knocks cannot be seen. From what I have seen of skiing helmets, the structure is so puny, it needs all the help it can get.
Even non-carbon fibre ski helmets demand reasonable packing for transit, I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother wrote:
Boots in Hand Luggage however...

Check out other threads on hand luggage: many people have found that certain airports will not allow boots in hand luggage. I asked in Edinburgh and was told no. The security guys in Stansted were ok about my helmet going through in my hand luggage. MInd you, as mentioned above, it would have been too wide for the gauge.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, OK point taken but do we really need to be asking questions about packing our suitcases?

I sometimes wonder how some people can hold down a job long enough to afford a ski-trip with some of the questions asked on this site.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are lots of threads on packing ski gear. A thing I find useful is to nick the stuffer sacks our sleeping bags usually live in, I then start in the bottom with a helmet topside down, drop googles (in their little protective bag), beany hat (if taking as well) and gloves into that, then rolling up salopettes and jacket and stuffing in on top - its all usually quite a good fit into a sack of this size and you can add a compression strap (old belt) if you need to. This makes fitting this bulky stuff much easier into a larger travel bag in my experience, and its all easy to find in one place when you get there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickB, you may well say that. I could not possibly comment Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you have a "motorbike style" helmet with chin guard, you may find the airport won;t let you carry it on as hand luggage. Standard helmets can probably be in hand luggage or hold luggage, but beware airports that only allow 1 piece of hand luggage, as you may actually need to have the helmet in a bag to get it on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
willd, i've always taken mine as hand luggage. Using the strap to hold it onto my backpack. Easy Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With a little extra padding, my helmet's been popped over the top of one of my boots and gone in the boot bag, and then in the hold. No ill effects so far.
snow report
With a little extra padding, my helmet's been popped over the top of one of my boots and gone in the boot bag, and then in the hold. No ill effects so far.
snow report
ccl wrote:
stoatsbrother wrote:
Boots in Hand Luggage however...

Check out other threads on hand luggage: many people have found that certain airports will not allow boots in hand luggage. I asked in Edinburgh and was told no. The security guys in Stansted were ok about my helmet going through in my hand luggage. MInd you, as mentioned above, it would have been too wide for the gauge.

Just got back through Edinburgh airport last week with my ski boots no problem, same thing last year when I went on 2 other ski hols
latest report
ccl, It is fine at LGW and LHR. Just seems to be some regional airports who haven't read the DoT advice properly.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Yez, itz coz we iz like right fick outside of landon innit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ski Bat wrote:
willd, i've always taken mine as hand luggage. Using the strap to hold it onto my backpack. Easy Cool

I do this as well, never had any trouble.
snow report
Guvnor, thatz rite. we is proper clevvah daarn sarrf...
snow report
If you're really worried, there's always this. Pack helmet in it and the whole thing in the middle of your hold baggage.
snow conditions
I pack mine in my hold bag with clothes around it. Last year I didn't pack it well enough for the BA baggage handlers at Heathrow and it is now covered in small dents. Sad

snowHead
latest report
I suppose one way of looking at it is if your helmet won't survive the baggage handlers without needing to be 'wrapped in cotton wool' will it actually protect your head Shocked
latest report
After the baggage handlers have had it, probably not to the same degree it would have originally rolling eyes
latest report
willd wrote:
Helmets - hand luggage or suitcase?

Head luggage.
Hand luggage would be your gloves.
ski holidays
I pack ours in a light weight bag so there are 2 helmets, 2 pairs of goggles and sunglasses and gloves. Never had a problem taking on as hand luggage and it isn't that bulky. We are usually with a TO as opposed to the low cost airlines.
latest report
Always in hand luggage. Stuff goggles and electrical items inside to save on packed volume. Would you want it as head protection if you didn't know it's history?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In main luggage - goggles inside, with lots of socks and underwear, and then wrapped round with other stuff like jumpers on the outside. No problems, and it fits in the suitcase pretty well. I can't carry it in hand luggage as my hand luggage consists entirely of my medication for the holiday, and don't want to wear it - so it goes in the hold.
latest report
Quote:

I sometimes wonder how some people can hold down a job long enough to afford a ski-trip with some of the questions asked on this site.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pointing out that they are a bunch of obsessive nitwits really hasn't put them off though, has it?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy