Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings - do you test them each day as you set out?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Theres an interesting article in the Jan edition of Ski and Board, suggesting that its a good idea to self test your bindings each morning on the snow before riding up in the lift. No more details. The do say that this is the biggest factor in an individuals control to prevent injury.

Simple question without (I suspect) a simple answer: How Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ties in directly to This thread about knee injuries
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Nicholas, You set the bindings low and then ski some turns. The bindings should pre-release you then need to add 1/2 a din until the bindings no longer release. Unfortuanltely this is possibly the worst advice i have ever heard in my life. You need your ski's to release under serious force occuring on a crash at reasonable speed. To test these pressures on the mountain would require skiing at high forces or crashing at high forces. You do nto want the ski's to pre-release when skiing like this and you don't want to practice crashing in the morning or at any time!

I think the best advice if you are concerned is to visit a shop every monring and have the bindings set and checked.

Saying all that Martin ..... do me a favour my ski's have always released and I would expect that knee injuries occur because skiers are mis setting their bindings along with skiing out of control rather than the binding not working correctly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, I would agree. Akin to testing the airbags on your car by driving it into a wall every morning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum, precisely! I don't want the bindings pre releasing in heavy snow, but I'm a heavy tall skier and displacing my DIN setting of 7 by hand is hard with both hands as a test, and I'v never managed to kick my bindings out standing on the ski. I get the skis checked and lubricated where necessary usually after a week or so. It seemed a bit of an odd recommendation with no explanation!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Nicholas, Have a look here;

http://www.bobski.com/safety/french_binding_system_self_test.pdf
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some dated kit in these pics. Does the force needed to self test take account of skier weight and boot sole length adequately? Expert comment please SZK / CEM ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't turn it up on the search function, but we did have a recent-ish discussion about testing bindings and doing the twist your toe/heels out test routine vs. strength of legs etc. If someone can find the link I think it had some useful information in it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here?
Also:
Here
And here
Amongst many others
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickB, I think your first link was the one I was recalling - you're obviously better with the search function than I am - thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Nicholas,

Quote:

Does the force needed to self test take account of skier weight and boot sole length adequately? Expert comment please SZK / CEM ?

No it doesn't. What (all) it does is show that your bindings will release. If you want more than that, you'll have to use a machine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i give mine a visual check, dont need to test them for release though....... they are non release bindings......lol
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, I don't test them every day...just with a new set-up or config. If I change anything, then I'll do a little test...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I posted something like this the other day. I always use Google to search forum websites, e.g.:

<<search>> site:http://snowheads.com

That way you can use all the advanced search functionality that Google allows (which the forum software will invariably not have).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy