Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just back from La Tania report 06/01/08

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort:

La Tania (1400) was developed for the competitors for the 92 Albertville Winter Olympics. As such it is a well-planned, modern resort with a small, cosy centre that is accessible and serviced by a supermarket, general store, number of bars (come back to later) and good choice of ski-hire shops.

The village comprises mostly chalets, spread out around a network of lanes extending up behind La Tania. Access to either red Moretta Blanche, the blue La Folyeres or green Plan Fontaine in the mornings is reasonable with many chalets backing on to or being a short walk from one or other of the 3 runs into La Tania. From there, it’s an easy slide to the main bubble. On the return, again it is possible to ski back to within a comfortable walk to the chalet.

We stayed with Crystal in the Chalet Jennifer. It was comfortable, clean and we were well looked after by our two chalet hosts who had 16 guests to cook for each night from a small, single oven kitchen! Well done to them. The food was not cordon bleu/hotel standard, but it was hot, filling and generally quite tasty. The wine was ok and although stated as free flowing until coffee after dinner, there was a relaxed attitude to this in the main.

Transfer: We flew into Lyons and, once out of the airport, it took about 3.5 hours including a 30 min enforced “drivers hours” stop at a rest area in Moutiers (perhaps the driver was related to the owner of the restaurant/bar opposite the rest area!) The return was hampered by severe weather and a wait at Moutiers for a delayed coach from Val Thorens making the trip closer to 4 hours as a result. Both ways Lyons was uncomplicated and hassle free.

Bars: A few to chose from, but in the main there is Le Ski Lodge which is the liveliest and that favoured by the seasonaires. Usually seems to have live entertainment and usually busy. 50m away is the Chrome Bar which seemed a little more sedate and then there is the Taiiga Bar, which also has live entertainment. Personally I favoured the Taiiga, a little more “mature”, great atmosphere, good restaurant which 8 of us went to on the hosts night off.

Ski Hire: I looked at 3 – Sport 2000’s Ski Higher, Ski Set and Alpiski and opted for the third. Although the ski selection was slightly less in terms of options, it is new this season, was generally less expensive (by 50€ for top rated skis), was offering a 20% discount and apart from an error on their part on the final bill, I found them helpful.

Ski Lessons: SO and I looked at New Generation (at Courchevel 1650), but thought that their minimum 2.5 hour lessons at 195€ was more than we were looking to pay in spite of their good reputation. The SO opted for Magic in Motion who have an office in the La Montana hotel. She went for a 2 hour lesson at 140€ and reported that the instructor (Eric) was excellent. The company seem well respected and the difference in the SO’s skiing (2nd week on the snow) was marked.

Ski Terrain: Options in the main are the 3Vs ski pass or Courchevel pass (220€ or 178€ respectively). 1650 offered some good varied and challenging terrain and was noticeably quieter than elsewhere. 1850 offers skiing for all abilities and is quite extensive. Runs like Creux (red from top of Vizelle bubble), Marmottes (red) and Roc Mugnier (1650) were stunning, especially during and after a hefty dump on Sunday 7th!

Run Classification: Quite a few in the chalet we shared thought some of the run grading had less to do with classification and more with marketing. Personally I skied one or two blues that were essential for linking valleys that were as demanding as some of the blacks and reds I have encountered in other resorts. And I wasn’t the only person who commented similarly! Good intermediate skiers won’t be overly concerned, early intermediates may find some of the gradings bewildering if they opt for a 3Vs pass. If staying in the Courchevel area, I would recommend opting for the ski pass for that area only if one skis to early intermediate standard.

Overall: Having looked at the larger and busier Courchevel 1850, 1650 and 1550, I liked La Tania for its greater charm, less frenetic pace, lack of Russians (!) and value for money (it is noticeably cheaper). Although the runs to the resort can get a bit chopped up, or packed (depending on weather/temp), on the whole I think it has much to offer unless one wants a party town.

Skiing over to Val Thorens is excellent fun and provides a good test of ability and fitness (wish mine had been better as totally skied out after the first trip there on the Tuesday – must thank Jonathan, one of the other guests, at this point for his excellent guiding there and back!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy