Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

holidayloverxx's day trip to Les Arcs - REPORT

Poster: A snowHead
Nick L, I was home by 9:00am a had a few hours kip on Sunday afternoon on the sofa. Didn't go to bed till midnight last night, but I will admit to being a bit tired now (but that's ok, I'm only at work wink )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done the train trip at either end of a week and have found that the main prob is difficulty sleeping esp on the way down (excitement and not tired).

A tip from me about the train is try to get seats in the middle of the carriage, the pneumatic doors at either end are noisey and in continual use.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx, Brilliant well done. Having walked from the Funicular up to BstM in the summer (The funicular was closed for lunch Toofy Grin ), I know what that route is like, must be harder in Winter Shocked

I'm just wondering how long it will be before Admin starts the MSDTB (Mid Season Day trip bash) Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin, I can see a thread starting..... wink Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, Laughing I'm really surprised it hasn't.......... yet
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Now there is one you may be able to make Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy wrote:
holidayloverxx,

Sorry for the dumb question. Does the train run daily or just at the weekend? How many peeps does the train hold?

I was assuming this was the usual weekly ski train - only instead of staying on another week you were coming back the same day. (?)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
boredsurfin, Now there is one you may be able to make Laughing

Yep Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, sounds great and you skied chang over day which is typically quiet, PM me if want want company the next, it is the sort of thing that appeals to me snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey Holidayloverxx, have you pm'd me. Just got an e-mail saying you have but then when I go to my account it says no messages..... might just be a random message but then it could be a fantastic piece of information that I'll need for when I go next week! Smile

Cheers
Liz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx,

Respect!! For dedication to the cause, that has to rival Ray Zorro's daytrip to Italy from last year (or maybe the year before).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, I guess it is the weekly ski train but sellign day trips to fill places? I thought the ski train had couchettes, though.

rayscoops, Yeah, let's do it Very Happy

liz09, don;t worry - it was just to say read the report. when I saw you had posted I deleted the message as it was still in my outbox.

Red Leon, thanks, I think Ray Zorro took the wimpy flying option for his day trip though wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
Charlatanefc wrote:
holidayloverxx, sorry chuck Wink I shall buy yer a large drink when I next see yer! Did u tell Mr HL that I said you could go the EoSB btw? Laughing

er...not yet, but I did say you were asking if I was going wink

Ah well, if it's decision by petition, sign me up!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, what a fab day and really enjoyed your report. What an adventure. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Holidayloverxx, Can you tell me what lift pass you purchased? I think there are cheaper passes without the use of the cable cars, did you find you used those. I'm thinking with the limited time we'll have we may not need to use them.

Secondly did you pay by card, or if not did you spot whether you could pay by card??

Cheers
Liz
latest report
liz09, I think there was only the 1 option for all day at the mo'. Are you thinking of the Vanoise Express Paradiski pass? if so they aren't selling those as the VE is closed.

I paid cash, didn;t notice if they took a card, but woudl be v surprised if they didn't.
latest report
holidayloverxx, just wanted to say thank you for the excellent and inspirational report. We went to Les Arcs last March and I've been toying with the idea of a high-speed hardcore return trip, and your post was just what was needed to tip the scales.

I've just booked an out-Friday, back early Monday-morning, two-full-days' skiing mission for me and Miss S and we've managed to get first class o/night TGV berths both ways for under £200. Right result! snowHead

Now all we've got to do is find somewhere to stay on Saturday night....

liz09, we paid with cards, and debit cards at that, at the foot of the funicular last March - unless anything's changed you should be all good Very Happy
ski holidays
snojito, good for you , I trust you will be truly hardcore and will go straight to work on monday Very Happy who did you book that deal with?
snow report
Just thought I'd leave a quick post about our Eurostar weekend to Les Arcs. Holidayloverxx filled in all the details in terms of how the trip worked so I won't go through all that again - check out the first post on this thread. We found it all incredibly easy, mainly thanks to the tips on here. We used the Hotel 3 Arcs just next to the Funicular as our base and left our bags there in the morning, having got the funicular up to 1600 at 7-50. We had breakfast, got changed and waited for the ski hire shop next door to open at 8.30. As we were a group of 9, we sent the beginners to the shop first to get their skis so they could get ready for their 9.30 lessons. The intermediates amongst us were up on the lifts at 9.15 so pretty well done I thought. The day was amazing, at 2600m we were above the clouds and the sun was gorgeous. After lunch the low clouds went and left us with the most amazing day of skiing. The snow was good too after being topped up every night the preceding week. After finishing skiing at the latest possible time we had a few drinks in the 3 Arcs hotel, got changed and got the funicular down about 7pm. Went off to a great Pizza restaurant opposite the station which was packed and rightly so it was fantastic. Then back on the train.

All in all the trip cost £200 per person inclusive off everything, so travel from oxford to London, lift pass, ski hire, all food and drinks. I personally thought that was excellent.

I will be definitely going again if Lastminute run the same deal next year. Was well worth it.

Thanks for your feedback straight after your trip Holidayloverxx, it definitely made our journey a lot easier.

Liz
ski holidays
liz09, sounds like an excellent way to spend a Saturday if you ask me. I'm a big fan of the train from a carbon footprint point of view, and it just gives you so much damn time on the slopes! snowHead

holidayloverxx, put it together myself using the Eurostar site (where there's the facility to search the calendar for the cheapest fares to Paris and find a Friday out-Monday morning back that suits) and then, having chosen the weekend, using the sncf.fr site to find cheap tickets to Bourg.

At the moment, if you're willing to slum it wink in a second class seat rather than a sleeper carriage, I think there are still tickets Paris-Bourg for about 20 Eur, with the return late on the Sunday night for about 40 Eur...

And yes, of course we're going to hardcore it back into work. Wouldn't dream of letting you down! I'm really looking forward to trundling in with my snowboard bag just after 9am and saying to the boss "sorry, the trains were a nightmare" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snojito, let us know if you find somewhere to stay. I imagine it won't be too hard as there will probably be somewhere to stay in Bourg if you couldn't find somewhere up in les arcs. Would quite fancy this myself if the accommodation was easy.
snow report
liz09, Excellent! you seem to have it cracked, well done you for keeping it all together for 9 of you.

snojito, Cool
ski holidays
Coincidence, I was looking at this site this morning.

http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/holiday-details.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&dim46=3&dimension45=All+London&destText=&selectDate=602433394%7C20080201&roomType101=1&duration=1&maxOffset=0&children=0&adults=1&searchType=basic&departureAirport=QQS&dim14=258%2C1-5+nights&depDay=26&expandThreshold=5&productId=343363929&sourceType=1&minChildAge=2&maxResults=10&childAge0=-1&childAge1=-1&childAge2=-1&childAge3=-1&childAge4=-1&childAge5=-1&roomStandard=Eurostar+Ski+train++-+no+hotel&maxChildAge=10&depAirportGroup=All+London&dimension5=-1&dimension0=Ski+%26+winter+sports&discount=0&dateRange=-1&depMonth=0&boardTypeCode=FD&dimension23=France&durationRange=1-5&sortBy=0%2C1

Having just missed my last trip through illness I was wanting a quickie before my week 8 - 15 March. This seemed just the boy, I cancelled a course I was going on 1st March and tried to book. Unfortunately only 1st Feb available, and as you all know that's the England v Wales weekend and I'm booked for a liver bashing. Anyone interested on 1st Feb though it's available for £129 which is still a steal.

Anyone know of anything short and cheap about 1st March weekend, please let me know.
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth - Thank you for the link to the forum! By chance I am going to be on Eurostar train on 1-2 february on my own. It is even more crazy trip for me - I've recently learned to ski (had snowboarding expiriens and back problem as result, so that have to swich for something different). Is anyone going to be on the same train? NehNeh
latest report
Arabeska, Welcome. Not crazy, ok maybe just a little Toofy Grin . Enjoy Cool
snow report
Holidaylover - sorry I have only just read your report, I really felt I was there with you, I have to say you're very brave ! snowHead
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, really great report. I'm always jealous how easy it is for you guys down south to be able to do this. Living just North of Leeds it'd mean leaving home at about 2pm to do this sensibly. You didn't say what time the outbound Eurostar was though? Good on you Very Happy
snow report
IncogSkiSno, stevew, thanks guys. yes it's true, so much easier when working in London. The outbound was 20:31 on the friday night, also stopped at Ashford.

btw, what is this "sensibly" you speak of wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, hadn't realised the train was so late. At that time I could almost got a 5pm/ 6pm train out of Leeds - almost practicable!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Awesome this trip report brings smile and chuckle !
latest report
stevew, there you go then. need to be at st pancras by 19:30 (19:45 latest I woudl say) to get the ticket from the machine then get through check in. It is the last train out so most peeps will have already gone through by then I imagine.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I've only just found your report. Well done girl, and huge respect for your dedication to the cause. Very Happy

I love the idea of a quick snow hit to take away the post Christmas blues and bridging the gap till your real ski trips come around. If you're up for doing this again next year (assuming a similar offer is run) then I'd be a willing party to join in.

I think the idea of hiring skis for the day is sound, as it will make travel easier and also you can get skis to suit the conditions on the day.

Have a great time in Fernie. (BTW - I'm off to Banff on Wednesday 30 Jan, starting to get proper excited now!)
latest report
jmdohanlon, good to hear from you again mate. yes, def up for it again next year. others have expressed interest as well - is the start of the Day Trip Bash Laughing

have a great time in banff Very Happy
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Thanks. Been mega busy at work for several weeks, so my normal browsing time has been reduced Toofy Grin

See you at St. Pancras for a train ride next year then, if not sooner in a fridge somewhere.
ski holidays
Wow what a blast...impressive.

I'm NOT jealous at all...honestly... rolling eyes
latest report
Arabeska, Where in the UK are you from???
latest report
All this sneaky trip taking has got me looking....

lastminute have trips like Thursday evening coach, Friday and Sat accomm, Sunday evening coach half board 3V single occupancy for £229. 3 days on the snow Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops,

That's a good deal!! If only I had more days holiday!... Sad

Just found this thread, and it seriously got me thinking for next year! snowHead
ski holidays
Kruisler, plus the 'Stash' snowboard day trip to Avoriaz Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, what dates?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy