Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airline have lost my skis !

Poster: A snowHead
I have just got back from a weeks sking in Sauze Doux and on waiting at Manchester for my luggage, my nice new, well skied one week new, Fischer AMC 76 skis
did not arrive.

Now I don't think anyone picked them up by "mistake" so presumably they have been mislaid.

I filed a lost baggage claim and was told that this is quite common.

Anybody have a similar experience with a good ending. I would hate to lose these skis as I found them to be brilliant !

To anybody that asks if better skis will help, I can only say that I skied better with these than I have ever done, they just gave me so much confidence.

I take it that I will have to wait a few days to see what happens ? It's funny really because when I checked them in in Turin, I said to my wife how amazing it is that luggage goes down one conveyor belt and manages to find its way to your destination. I should have kept my mouth shut !
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bernie, I've had bags go missing several times. So far, I've always been re-united with them within a week.

When you filled out the claim form, did they give you a website to check along with your reference number?
Who was the airline? Was it their own staff you logged the call with, or someone else?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bernie, I've no experience, but I do commiserate with your loss - I hope you get them back snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's not exactly "common" that luggage doesn't arrive on the same plane. But it's not un-common either. I'm sure most of us who fly enough had experienced some luggage delay. But hopefully not lost completely.

Ski being bulkier items, have a slightly higher potential of not arriving on the very same plane. Depending on which airline you're dealing with, they ought to be able to tell you where your ski is and when it'll get delivered to you. The one and only one time mine didn't arrive with me (homeward bound leg), they told me right on the spot the ski were still at the airport I got on the plane, and would be on the next flight out. It was delivered to our door early the next morning before we were even up.

So hopefully yours will turn up too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The airline was ThomsonFly, holiday through Crystal. I did get a "Property Irregularity Report " with a reference number.I t does actually say to check on the
Servisair website, but putting in the reference number does nothing yet, perhaps it is too soon.

I actually reported the lost skis to the desk at Manchester called, I think, Global Baggage Solutions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bernie, As skis are generally checked in separately to your other baggage it's not uncommon for them to become separated. I've had them travel on a different flight and not turn up on the conveyor - my boots also, i was more worried about them as skis are easily replaced! Never left the airport without them.

I've also had my main bag not turn up, it arrived by courier a few days later.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bernie, allow at least a day before it will be on the website, depends on how efficient they are.

Try here:
World Tracer
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bernie, I once flew from Bristol to Glasgow with Easy Lose-Your-Luggage and my bag containing tools and parts for a job didnt arrive. They found out quite quickly that the bag had remained in Bristol because the baggage handlers thought it looked like a toolbag (well spotted) and took it back off the plane despite it having a large tag for Glasgow. They kindly offered to get it there for the following day, which wasnt terribly useful as I was flying back the same day. Fortunately I was reunited with my bag when I got back.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hugh Jarse wrote:
bernie, I once flew from Bristol to Glasgow with Easy Lose-Your-Luggage ....

I didn't think BA flew between Bristol and Glasgow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bernie, Happened to me with ThomsonFly last year, also on a Crystal holiday. They turned up the following evening.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the reassurance guys,I am now hopeful all will be well !

I will keep you posted !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Delta managed to leave about 20 peoples luggage in Atlanta last July instead of getting it to Kansas at the same time as us! The hotel told us that this was VERY common, but that they nearly always manage to get the bags delivered within 24hrs which is when compensation kicks in rolling eyes We arrived about 10pm, hubby's bag turned up around 2am, mine 6pm the next day. Just as well we were able to stay 2 nights rather than the originally planned one at that hotel.

I have just emailed S.L.Easyjet to ask officially about carrying skiboots in handluggage. (I know this is the subject of another thread and people have had conficting advice depending on airline/airport but thought it had some relevance here too). If I can I want to take mine in handluggage as I can easily replace/manage without other stuff on arrival, but not my boots & their amazing footbeds that make my ankle stable.

Anyone know if footbeds are transferable between boots? Is it advisable to take them separately in handluggage if the boots arent' allowed - in the event of my boots being delayed/lost, would they fit hire boots and work for me?

EDIT: Please don't answer this question here, see sep thread.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 13-01-08 21:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly, That is such a good question, I think it may be useful as a separate thread
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Butterfly, That is such a good question, I think it may be useful as a separate thread

Will do!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have had bags go astray before too, once when travelling to the states our skis didnt turn up for 2 days, unfortunately all ski kit - kjacket and trousers were in there too Sad Have also had skis disappear when coming back, that was from Turin airport. They turned up ok and were delivered to home about a week later Smile Apparently, so we were informed, its quite common from Turin, something to do with the way they handle skis Shocked

The last time was coming back from St.Anton last christmas my boots didnt turn up, they did eventually but I was panicing alittle as we were heading out to Whistler a couple of weeks later Smile I was just getting ready to accept new boots would have to be bought when I got the phone call saying they had found them. Apparently the luggage handler had snapped to handle on the boot bag and the ID tag had slipped off. Shocked They did send a cheque tho for £30 Euros to cover damage to the bag Smile Which has been easily sorted too, not bad for a 14 year old boot bag thats virtually knackered Toofy Grin

In all experiences the luggage has turned up and two out of the three times they could tell me where it had been sent by mistake, they're not as bad as we think sometimes, but I come to the conclusion its better to happen on the way home Toofy Grin

'edited the deliberate mistake Embarassed '

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 14-01-08 20:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I am off on Wednesday..I don't mind if they loose my stuff on the way back, as long as it turns up at Salzburg with me on the outbound journey! snowHead
snow conditions
Bones wrote:
They did send a cheque tho for £0 Euros to cover damage to the bag Smile

That's a lot of money Smile
snow conditions
Bones, I'm not surprised lots of skis go missing/get delayed at Turin. When we checked in there, they checked our main bags onto the conveyor, and then pointed to a wheely luggage trolley standing randomly near (but not close to) the check-in area and said 'leave the skis there, someone will collect them'. We were not surprised when they arrived home a day after us.

That was about 5 years ago so I guess things have changed since then, but sounds like they're still losing them!

D
snow report
Deliaskis, Thats what happened to us too Smile
snow conditions
bernie, Any news yet?
latest report
Deliaskis wrote:
Bones, I'm not surprised lots of skis go missing/get delayed at Turin. When we checked in there, they checked our main bags onto the conveyor, and then pointed to a wheely luggage trolley standing randomly near (but not close to) the check-in area and said 'leave the skis there, someone will collect them'. We were not surprised when they arrived home a day after us.

D

Hmm - had the same "leave em on the trolley" when was going through GVA last wednesday night from the French side. Still made em home ok, and seemed to be in one piece despite the best efforts of Stelios's luggage throwers...
latest report
Peter Ross wrote:
Bones wrote:
They did send a cheque tho for £0 Euros to cover damage to the bag Smile

That's a lot of money Smile

Yeah but with the current exchange rate it's worth a bit less Smile
snow report
Megamum

No nothing yet !

I have tried the baggage locater thingy on the Servisair website but it still does nothing.

I am going to ring Thomson Fly tomorrow, just to make sure that they are aware that they have mislaid my skis and so maybe do something
to get them back to me.

What really annoys me is ringing 0870 numbers, getting a load of options, picking one, waiting for 5 minutes then getting cut off.

More money making schemes methinks. Sad
ski holidays
bernie, could check http://www.saynoto0870.com for an alternative.

I've had bags go missing on air france at CdG on way back from a few months in French Guiana. Had most stuff in a container being shipped back at company expense, and airfrance lost my entire checked baggage (ie all the stuff I knew I'd be needing for the 1st few days). Bags actually were sent on the next flight about 1 hour later, but took 4 working days to be delivered by courier.

Now if that were on the outward leg of a Ski vacation, that'd be the equivalent of the courier guy turning up at the chalet mid morning on the Thursday of a Sat-Sat holiday! Hence I always make sure to split enough bits across bags so if 1 goes missing I should get 2 days on the slopes with minimal in resort shopping.
snow report
BA left my baggage in Manchester en route to Germany (none skiing.) It took them till thursday (fri-sat 8 day trip) to get the luggage to me - I was just glad I had all my insulin in my handluggage! On the plus side, I kept receipts for everything, and they happily reimbused me for new clothes (I bought a lot of souvenir tshirts from octoberfest), toiletries (spending much more on things like a toothbrush, and stupidly expensive 17 blade razors than I normally would.) So overall, I think I came out ahead of the game.

I'm not sure whether they'd be willing to pay for a complete new set of skiing equipment, but it might be worth a try...
ski holidays
If they lose them completely (unlikely), you should be able to claim the loss on your travel insurance. You may be able to claim from the airline too, but that's more hit and miss and will probably have a low maximum claims limit. They might specifically exclude responsibility for skis too.
ski holidays
I read the title of this thread too quickly and saw 'Airline have lost my kids'. Lucky him I thought. Laughing
ski holidays
An airline lost mine once no idea who... brilliantly I'd put my house keys in the now lost the bag and lived on my own..

I won't do that again.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
Now if that were on the outward leg of a Ski vacation, that'd be the equivalent of the courier guy turning up at the chalet mid morning on the Thursday of a Sat-Sat holiday! Hence I always make sure to split enough bits across bags so if 1 goes missing I should get 2 days on the slopes with minimal in resort shopping.

ahh we counter that by taking all ski wear with us into handluggage.

Everything that is a nesseciaty and cannot be lost is taken in handluggage, it avoids monkey airport workers losing your bags.
snow conditions
Well the good news is that they turned up today. Luckily, my daughter had come home for lunch so there was someone in
to take delivery.

Looking at the ticket attached, it would seem that they went to Gatwick instead of Manchester.

Thinking back to our departure from Turin, we were waiting to take off for a good 35 minutes because according to the captain,
the handling agent had not brought some completed paperwork to him and at the same time there were noises from underneath
in the luggage compartment. I wonder if we were delayed because something did not tally, and in the end they gave up and let the plane go anyway.

As well as my skis, another girl had not got her bootbag so I hope she was finally reunited with them.

Worry over now, so looking forward to my next skiing trip in about 5 weeks, time to get my new edging and scraping tools out and give them a touch up.
snowHead
snow report
bernie, Glad they turned up safe & sound Very Happy Its rather alarming how slick the airlines have become at reuniting lost baggage with its owners rolling eyes
snow conditions
bernie, I am so pleased that they turned up for you - I'd have been gutted if they had been mine. I also hope the other lass got her boots back too.
snow conditions
bernie, Good to hear they are back, hope they are more careful with them on your next trip Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy