Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites in summer anyone been

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all I hope this is the right forum, we were going to ski there this season but Lindas workload is a bit heavy. We have often fancied going to a ski resort in summer but it has to be really picturesque and i think that places like corava/arraba etc are aren't they? is this the place to head to, we also thought of saas fee, we don't want too long a transfer and we can fly to innsbruck from leeds/bradford is this a good idea to reduce transfer time, do we do a DIY or a package we want a good quality hotel but not too expensive and when we are there we just want to walk and take in the atmosphere. We are really keen mountain bikers is there many decent trails and if so will bike hire be available. Any help and advice woulb be really appreciated as we haven't got a clue about summer in these areas but just feel it might be a bit special.
Many thanks
Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
went to Canazai this summer for a last minute break as there was too much torrential rain for the planned gliding week in the UK

Awesome. Fabulous scenery.

Remember absoluetly everyone in Italy has August as holiday so it is very busy.

Just look on the tourist board websites, check the hotels out from their and book online. we did this with 1 day notice. A bit of advanced planning and you'll have the choice of all.

There were guys with bikes around.

Canazai tourist office gave us a free walking map with paths marked which was very good. Was for all Val di Fass and Van Gardena. Not OS standard but better the most European maps that are for sale. Was in English too. Sure the other centres would do a similar thing.

Walk around the Sassa Lungo is cracking with great views of Sella Gruppe
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We would go anywhere in the area in the summer
The whole region is stunning
A couple of things to be aware off
Some of the villages are very quiet most of the summer which is fine if that’s what you are after
The other thing is a lot of the summer lifts and huts in the area don’t open till after mid June if you plan to make use of them
We have tended to go to Austrian resorts in the summer and they are also worth a look
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flights to Innsbruck are fine, but Venice is an excellent choice as it's only 2hrs drive to Cortina (excellent base) and you can do the touristy thing round Venice before or after too. Canazai - Selva - Corvara all good centres too.

If you're in the area, you absolutely MUST do some of the Via Feratta climbing routes. You don't need to be a rock-hero...if you love mountain walking & scrambling you'll find them fantastic, and get into some airy places you never dreamt you could - I've been about 8 times in the summer now Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that we were thing of going just before the kids summer holidays, you say some of the villages are really quiet, we don't want anywhere rowdy but we do want a lively place that's also a pretty place so where would you suggest?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sounds great geoffers we wouldn't want to do the venice tourist thing as it's just not something we fancy crowds of people etc, so you think flying to venice better that innsbruck? We were thinking of staying in corvara is that a good choice, not too quiet I hope ,very interested in the via feratta routes we love walking but Linda struggles with heights so if there are steep cliff edges near her she would freak out Very Happy where are the via feratta routes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
head out to france and italy in the summer to kayak the melt waters, very nice being there when it is so empty.

had some slightly strange language experances - where by people you conversed with in winter in English after your French or Italian failed then appear to not be able to talk in English what so ever. This for me adds to the charm of the place.
Be warned there are a lot of English university students in certain areas over the summer making the most of the waters. But it is easy to find a quite area and take in the country with out the steak and chips crowd bothering you
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyarmitage,
Quote:

very interested in the via feratta routes we love walking but Linda struggles with heights

There a loads of VF routes in the area, from protected walking routes (with cables in the more exposed areas), to some quite serious climbs.
All are equipped with cables / rungs / ladders for the steeper bits, and you wear a harness with special VF slings so are clipped in to steel cable at all times. By their very nature they are in steep, cliffy terrain - however starting on some easy grade routes (which my guide book says you can get a Granny & your 4yr old up Smile ) will quickly boost Linda's confidence...
There are many good guide books you can pick up locally, and quite a lot of VF info on the web.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two words -- Stelvio Pass !!!

Drive it ... is an amazing place in the summer. Drive up it ... then do some summer skiing at the top, then drive down into Italy and go white water rafting. Did this in late June a few years ago.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chri$, sounds like what im planning in doing this summer. Where are the best places to go white water rafting in the dolomites/Northern Italian alps? Is Bormio worth spending time in?

Also, what are activities are there to do in the dolomites in the summer? except for walking, rafting and mountain biking.

Which are the quiet and the busy towns?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I spent a whole summer working in San Cassiano a couple of years ago. I knew the area well through working there in the winter and I expected a pretty average summer. I was utterly blown away!! The Dolomites MUST be seen in the summer! It's so beautiful - and very dramatic!! I did lots of climbing and walking - but there really is so much to do!

If you need lifts they don't tend to open in many places until late June. During June and early July the whole place is bright green with thousands of different types of tiny coloured flowers everywhere - looks gorgeous. Avoid August - it's absolutely rammed. Into September is mushoom season, and it's quietened down again after the rush. The lifts will close again by mid September.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For rafting look around, its offered on most rivers now and some are going to be a lot more fun than others.
Some sections will have one or two big rapids and the rest flat water and the others more rapids but with smaller drops

Best done later on in the day when the water has got up as well
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went climbing there in July/ August 2005. We were there for just over a month, living in a tent and using public transport. We moved around a bit staying in Corvara, Cortina and Misurina there were other places we wanted to go but sometimes we couldn't get there e.g. no buses/ wrong times or there were other problems: we didn't have crampons so couldn't descend the marmolada by the glacier and the cable car was shut. I was going to write a big report online but never got round to it although I do still have my trip diary somewhere so it might get done eventually. We flew to Venice and travelled to the mountains by train: easily done and it's a nice journey especially towards the end when you reach the hills.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy