Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inquiry finds no defects with Wengen chairlift system

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Grounded chairlift at Kleine Scheidegg (Keystone)
An independent inquiry into the Swiss chairlift accident last Thursday has found there were no technical problems with the chairlift system. The chairlift at Kleine Scheidegg (Wengen) fell to the ground killing one skier and injuring others, after a cable carrying the chairs derailed in high winds. An examination of the sheaves and rail guide on a tower supporting the lift cable showed no defects....But, although the technical part of the inquiry has finished, no definitive reason for the accident has been established, and the investigation continues.

From: http://www.tdg.ch/pages/home/tribune_de_geneve/english_corner/news/news_detail/(contenu)/178623
Original snowNews report: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=811067#811067
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has there been any more news about this? The fact that a chairlift without any apparent defects can fall to the ground is rather alarming. Presumably other lifts of a similar type (in the picture it looks old) are equally vulnerable to similar winds?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I Suspect what happened is that the wind gust came at exactly the same time as say the brake was applied boosting the forces applied to the safety systems beyond what they were designed to take, an unusual situation but not unheard of, it's impossible to design a completely safe transport system of any type, aicraft do drop out of the sky due to exceptional wind forces, cars do crash due to bad weather and even the mark 1 human leg can fail to transport you under say icy conditions, it is sadly inevitable that some accidents will occur and unfortunately in this case I think that's exactly what happened it's just impossible to design things to cope with absolutely every condition, because not every condition is known
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very true. There can be exceptional freak forces on a mountain. Doppelmayr showed me a video at their factory of a line of chairs on a chairlift spinning around the cable.

That said, the engineering quality of chairlifts has been revolutionised over the years, and maybe the design of that particular lift wasn't as impeccable as more recent installations.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Doppelmayr showed me a video at their factory of a line of chairs on a chairlift spinning around the cable.

That would create a fluttering in the Snowheads dovecote....
Quote:
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I think it important to remember that this is a very rare incident, in fact you are more likely to die as a result of an aircrash than you are on a ski lift, very few people worry about flying but it can happen
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy