Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Landhotel Alpin in Scheffau - Central location ? Claimed ??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Quick question if anyone has been to the Hotel Alpin in Scheffau.

How far (roughly like can you walk it to the lifts easily??) is the Hotel Alpin away from the lifts / Scheffau...

All the TO's are stating a "Central location" and show a picture of it nicely among other buildings... But, I have just Googled Earth it and it seems about a mile or so away..!! Not even in Scheffau so is it "Central" as the TO's say or has Google helped me out once again ??

Any help much appreciated.

Tim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tim Tastic, I know scheffau pretty well Tim. The Alpin (of which I've heard mixed reports) is central in the village, but scheffau village itself is up the hill 500m on the other side of the valley to the ski lifts so you'll defo need to get the ski bus.

The hotel itself is fine, but they have an annexe building nearby which i believe is in need of some refurbishment.

On the plus side the Ski Welt area is in prime nick, all links open, and the range of cruisy, fast skiing will blow your mind. The scheffau bubble dumps you right in the heart of the area, so bus aside it's the best place to be in the valley. When are you off?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tim Tastic, I've stayed there twice 6/8 years ago as red 27, says it is central in the very small village area. If there is good snow it is possible to ski down to the main lift using a track which goes under the road at the bottom but if not it is ski bus time. Both trips were mid march but only one year was it possible to ski down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tim Tastic, The thing about Scheffau is that any hotel that is central to the village is a trek from the lifts and if you stay by the lifts you have to trek to get to the village!! It's a very pleasant place and when we stayed there the bus service was very efficient so being up in the village was no hardship...off there again this year but this time we're staying down by the lifts so we'll have to wait and see which is the better location.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp, are you in the Gasthof Wilder Kaiser by any chance?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Red 27, Steve & Homphomp for your replies. It is much appreciated. Thank you very much snowHead members rock !

Having discussed the holiday with my mates we have decided to locate elsewhere with a Hotel near the lifts..

(I went to Scheffau in 1987 (stayed close to the gondala) when I was 16 and loved it - wanted to return !! to see how things had progressed would have brought fantastic memories back to me Im sure. !!!)

We are now going to the 4 Valleys.. But sure I will return to Scheffau soon !

Thanks again guys for all your help.. It really has confirmed our question.

Have a great Snow holiday where ever you are going !!

Tim
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tim Tastic, whereabouts in the 4 valleys Tim - are you staying in verbier? I've got a few tips and tricks about there too snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RED 27,

We are staying in Nendaz in the Hotel Mont-Font which is only 3* But does look good.

To be honest we could not afford Verbier. Just way-WAY past our allowance. Nendaz (even with its old lifts - so I have read - we will put up with it ) Came within budget.. Worked out at £725 Half Board including the AREA lift pass (whopping £176) and Board carrage, all suppliments included, with Crystal Holidays.

Main lift is 200m away and two ski hire shops are within easy walking distance (about 100m so I have the choice). And are cheaper to book on line direct. (We sucked the extra Crystal charge for the lift pass as Convenience! could have saved another £50 or so... But looked too good to be true.. So threw it in just in case Puzzled

Done a lot of research on Nendaz and with its Skating rink, Sleddging (in Tortin), Snowtubing (in Tracouet), Cheep (compared to Soldeu) Paragliding & cheep on line ski scools... I am sure my 15 year old Daughter will have fun as well as me !

Ski School works out about £16 for half a day from the local schools for a five day course (in small groups five to eight) wheather Skiing or boarding ! bargain or what !

Looking forward to the view from the peak at 3300m !! and a day visit to Verbier !

Sorry to blab on... But thanks to you for your previous post re- Alpin.. My Daugher would have given me the Hand and Bothered and Dad your a Cheep Skate all week Skullie

Really looking forward to Nendaz now. Well I should do..... as I have just paid for it on line Madeye-Smiley

Never been with Crystal ever before though... Confused

Sure to have a great time whatever Very Happy And thanks again for replying to my post RE Alpin - much appreciated. your a great snowHead

Tim
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
homphomp, are you in the Gasthof Wilder Kaiser by any chance?

Nope....just next door!!

Tim Tastic wrote:
(I went to Scheffau in 1987 (stayed close to the gondala) when I was 16 and loved it - wanted to return !! to see how things had progressed would have brought fantastic memories back to me Im sure. !!!)

One of the reasons Mr HH and I are looking forward to our trip....we went there some years ago when we were just struggling blue run skiers...it'll be fun to see how much we/it has changed!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
homphomp, I want to go back to the Skiwelt at some stage for similar reasons, I last skied there in 04 and I know I've changed a lot in terms of my skiing since then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tim Tastic, hey, no problem & thx for the thanks! You'll love Nendaz - quite a trip over to Verbier on skis but well worth it if you're intermediate or above. Remember you can always get the bubble back down rather than take on the off-piste blacks back to Tortin.

homphomp the Scheffauer then? very strange barmaid in there.... Shocked great to re-visit old favourites like the Ski Welt - it was my 3rd trip in '91 and it was amazing to go back there this year and get round the circuit in a day Very Happy

enjoy all - skiing rocks!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Red 27 for the tip - RE blacks back to Tortin. We will bear this in mind..

Thanks for the tip .. Could have been a disaster otherwise Confused

Will look for a good piste map to plan out routes.

Thanks again.

Tim
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

I realise this reply is ever so late, but the other replies appear somewhat inaccurate or at least are missing an important piece of information. If you were to look at the piste map you would see that there is a blue piste directly outside the Hotel Alpin which takes you to the gondola station. On your return there is a lift back into the village. I know this because I live in Scheffau. However, as someone politly puts it "there are mixed reviews of Hotel Alpin"!!

Cheers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stayed in the alpin last year ( with ESPRIT)

if you cross the road there is a skiway all the way to the gondola , its maintained , and about 500metres long
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gazza2,

How did you 'find' your stay with ESPRIT @ alpin?
Have been contemplating booking there this season.

Cheers
Mitch
latest report
Mike & Caroline,

Hows the snow this season.............am contemplating a trip there in mid Jan but am getting worried by the 'height' of the village & ski area ( lack of snow & /or chance of rain)..................do you think it will be good at that time ( I realise you can not see in to the future but you may have more insight as you live locally !!

Thanks in advance

Mitch
snow report
Mitch

Cannot fault either the esprit staff, or the alpin hotel.

that trip was when we experienced first hand the provision of one on one care for a disabled child ( not ours)
so we could wath in a detached manner - you could not fault the guy who was "selected" to look after the girl
who was 11 - he was at the alpin from breakfast till after the evening meal, took her skiing ( which she had
wanted to try but never been allowed ) and with the rest of the team gave all the kids a great time.

Our 4 year old still remembers the names of the girls who looked after him when he was there.

we have experienced lots of trips now with esprit, and I have to say we have yet to find any problems
with the child care. ( and that includes the ski lessons as well)

on that same trip - one of the 11 year olds - who had been skiing for a few years and was very good. asked to
go on the day out with the ski guide - which was refused as they were not geared up to looking after a child in a group
( parents did not want to go )

However next day - you should have seen his dads face as at breakfast the boy was introduced to this young ( say 20)
year old girl who was going to take the boy out for the day - he then spent the day skiing & boarding all over the place.

By the way the alpin does a good carriage ride in the snow ( kids love it).

dont forget to look here http://www.espritski.com/Specials.aspx might save a bit on your trip
latest report
I can also endorse Esprit and the Alpin hotel. Stayed there 07 with our children who were 7 & 10. We didn't use the Esprit arranged lessons as the local lessons were cheaper and we didn't need/want to get rid of the children for the whole day.

Sadly I popped my ACL on day 2 Sad but the Esprit staff were wonderful, one of the reps even used her day off to accompany me to the hospital in Innsbruck (& gave the consultant an earbashing when he tried to bully me into surgery), they took the children up and down to ski lessons even though we hadn't booked or paid for this service but it meant that the OH could help me up & down to breakfast & to the various medics I needed to see.

The hotel staff were great too, brought me extra pillows, bags of ice and sandwiches (no lunches booked or paid for) for lunch. Nothing was too much trouble.

Would I go back to Scheffau? Probably, but would definately pick a good snow year, in 07 there was no snow in the village and very, very little on the hill (hence the popped ACL). But a pretty and charming place with a lovely ski area a short bus ride away.

My eldest is now a little too old for Esprit but if I had younger kids and could afford it they would be high on my list. They seem to look after their staff well (I hope so - my niece goes to France with them next month) and all the kids we met working in Scheffau were very positive about the company and many of them were on their second or third years with Esprit.
snow conditions
Mike & Caroline, Newbie snowHead here who has just booked to come to Scheffau this coming weekend- what is the snow like now? Is it possible to ski from the village centre (Hotel Alpin) to the main lift or will we be using the ski bus? We're all (me, OH, & 7 &9 children - all skiied before) really looking forward to the holiday and would thoroughly appreciate some up to date info from impartial residents!
snow conditions
clareeg, welcome to snowHead
Have a brilliant time!
snow report
Hi - first post here so please bear with me! Smile

We are heading out to Scheffau (me, hubby, and two kids, 2&4) in Jan, staying at the Alpin with Esprit. My son will be skiing for the first time so am a bit nervous about how he will take to it - does anyone have any info. or opinions on the ski-school that esprit use? He will be in the class for 3&4 year olds so I assume that they will not actually do much apart from play in the snow but wondered if anyone had experience of kids skiing at scheffau?

Clareeg - have a great trip!

Thanks

Katy
ski holidays
I can only offer first hand experience !

Scheffau has a small ski area at the top of the main gondola, which is designated for the little ones
it has a selection of magic carpets for them to go up short - 20-30 foot slopes.

It has lots of things for the kids to play around on & with.

They will definately get them on skis & skiing , even if only for a few feet.

There is also an area in town where they will take them that has a slope ( ask the reps)
you can then play around in the snow / on skis with the kids.

The ski school is OK for the kids, very patient, make it a lot of fun - and then of course
there is the added delight of Bo-Bo and the dragon.

if you are not sure bo-bo is the waiter in the middle

http://www.kinderkaiserland.com/index.htm
snow conditions
Michelle, thanks, we're really looking forward to it! Katy - we haven't been to Scheffau before so can't comment on the ski school, from what gazza2 says it sounds great, we haven't booked lessons yet as Esprit didn't have anything suitable for our two so will have to arrange when we get there. We have been with Esprit before to La Rosiere and the kids had a fab time - it is not just the lessons but the help the esprit staff give with sorting out all the kids skis and getting them to and from the lessons. Two years later my kids still remember the songs they learnt in that one week!
snow report
Gazza2 -thanks for the info. It sounds (and looks!) like a lot of fun and really well set up for kids so hopefully will prove to be a hit and a positive first skiing experience!
Clareeg - Good to hear about your experiences of the esprit staff - hope this year is also as good and would be really great to hear from you on your return to let me know what you thought of Scheffau and the Alpin this year!
Thanks again guys, Katy.
ski holidays
gazza2, or anyone else that may know
Is it possible to find a ski school that takes the kids for say 2......2 1/2 hours ( like the french ) as I want my kids to have lessons but want to ski with them for 1/2 the day?
Mitch
ski holidays
Where does the time go ? Funny to read my post and thoughts a year after Very Happy

Well, very quickly Nendaz was FAB.. snowHead snowHead Red 27 Helped me out a loads ! Thanks Red27 !

But am seriously thinking of booking the Alpin this year.

Does anyone know what the night life is like ? I dont need discos & bars till 2am. But are there many bars & things to do in the evenings for adults in Scheffau ? IE go walk about & find something..

I also note that this thread has attracted a lot of families with young children to the hotel.

Is the Hotel over run with kids ? Sorry have to ask.. ( I have two kids 16 & 14 so been to simmilar in my past holidays with them) but dont think my Teenage kids would like a kindergarden hotel anymore...

Thanks for any advice.

Tim
latest report
Scheffau is very small and does not have much in the way of nightlife. You could jump in a taxi down to Soll a couple of nights if you wanted some life. I would regard Scheffau as a mainly family resort and would not really say it would hold much attraction for anyone who was not there with their kids. Ellmau and Westendorf are bigger and Soll would be the nightlife centre of the ski welt.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy