Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gizmo Packing Nightmares

Poster: A snowHead
So here am I lobbing stuff into my faithful Da Kine Split Roller in readiness for Sunday's off. Incredibly, I'm managing to assemble my kit without the aid of a ski trip packing check list (either laminated or not). For example, completely unprompted, I've remembered that I'll need socks, perhaps a ski jacket, maybe my ski boots and potentially some jeans. I'm sure there's something else. The usual stuff is easy but, for the first time in 30 years+ of this routine, I'm struggling with finding room in either hold or carry-on for all the gizmos and associated accessories...
Phone + charger + spare phone
Blackberry + charger
IPod + speakers
2-way radios + charger
Helmet Cam + leads + straps
Digital camera + battery charger + lead
Camcorder + leads
Electric toothbrush + charger
Laptop + power lead + mouse
Adaptors
I have more leads and computing power than the 'plane I'll be flying in. Some folks go with all this AND tranceivers, GPS, head torches, things that vibrate, things that go "bing", bottle warmers, waxing irons, pacemakers you name it.

Mad innit?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But have you got a 'machine that goes 'ping'' wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:

Blackberry + charger
IPod + speakers

You SO need an iPhone Laughing

For my trip tomorrow I'm leaving the laptop and mp3 player at home. the trusty iPhone will see me though. (Although for the first time in recorded history Mrs Axs is bringing a laptop Shocked Shocked what is the world coming to? Shocked Laughing )

(Could come in handy though so I'm not knocking it wink Laughing )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't forget the electric blanket, Swiller. You suffered enough in Aviemore - reward yourself.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, underwear? Or just the ones you travel in? I understand they can be used 4 ways!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Butterfly, plug-in underwear? I think I'll get some.

AxsMan,
Quote:

You SO need an iPhone
I do and I intend to... 6m on the contract left to go.

David Goldsmith, plug-in hot water bottle / MP3 / TV receiver would be better.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, http://www.virginiawind.com/tips/electric.asp Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No kettle ?! Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="Bode Swiller"]Butterfly, plug-in underwear?

Is that the thing that vibrates?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue, it shakes off the claggy bits.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Earplugs? (wax-- not electric)
Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:

Blackberry + charger
IPod + speakers
2-way radios + charger
Helmet Cam + leads + straps
Camcorder + leads
Electric toothbrush + charger
Adaptors

Are you working or on holiday?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought I had too much, carrying a phone + blackberry, but two phones and a blackberry??

have you checked if any of the power leads can feed more than one gizmo?

You could also leave behind the electric toothbrush for a week...

Do you really need a mouse for the laptop?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So when the lights of Austria dim this Sunday evening we'll know you've arrived and plugged in then!

Anyway, what phone doesn't have a half decent digital camera on it?
They all have MP3 players built in too.

But now, a phone with a built in Electric toothbrush - might be a hole in the market there?

For the last EoSB, my double wheely ski bag was so packed with 'stuff' that even the Eurostar staff suggested I might need to watch out or I'll be paying for excess baggage - and there weren't even any skis in there!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

You SO need an iPhone

What he needs is a life. The world won't grind to a halt just because you can't pick up e-mails for a week, you know.
latest report
Mosha Marc, yeah, unfortunately I've got some things to do and, in any case, it's a corporate bash. I exaggerated a bit tho'... toothbrush isn't really electric. Point I'm making is that some people must carry more than this... esp those with serious camera systems, wives etc.
snow conditions
Quote:

The world won't grind to a halt

Lizzard, yes it will
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, and don't forget Airport security will want it all out and put into one of their little boxes to go through the scanner Laughing

I spose you could 'lose' it all and by an i-Phone with the insurance money Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It would be nice to have a universal charger that would do for my camera, my other camera, GPS, pda and phone.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
... serious camera systems, wives etc.

My wife asked me to stop flashing her years ago
snow report
Bode Swiller, aren't wives equipped with an autonomous transport system?
ski holidays
IF YOU USE ALL THIS STUFF WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO SKI ? Shocked
snow conditions
tim000, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I use all those items whilst I'm skiing - in fact it's the only time I use my phone, which amuses Mrs Hoppo because I move my lips when I'm txting Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hoppo, before christmas I got a new decoration that needed either batteries or power, but wasn't sold with a power cord. DH went shopping in pound stretchers and bought me back a transformer that had dials you could set to all sorts of power outputs, ampages, current directions and other technical wotnot that is a bit above me - it also had 5 or 6 different plug in sockets - total price £3.50 - it powered my Christmas decoration with no bother.

BTW admin, my phone doesn't have a camera or MP3 player on it Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:

BTW admin, my phone doesn't have a camera or MP3 player on it Madeye-Smiley

Megamum, you don't still have to carry the battery (size of 2 bricks) around do you Puzzled
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, I was thinking about this the other day, its not so much the actual gadgets themselves but as you say the chargers, batteries, memory cards etc etc... Bit of a joke really.
snow report
Why do you need a spare phone when you have a blackberry? And iPod speakers? I thought they come with earphones!

I ALWAYS consider the batter and charger weight when I research eletronic gizmos. Having traveled for work, I'm quite aware of the "travel weight" of these things. If I have a choice, one that uses regular battery or could be charged through the USB port would be the tie-breaker.
ski holidays
I've made some progress on this with the kids' (honest wink ) gadgets. I bought a mains travel charger for the iPods which terminates in a USB connector. USB is rated at 5V DC and with suitable interface cables/adapters will charge the iPods (rated at 5V), the Nokia phones (rated at 5V) and the Nintendo DS Lites (rated at 5.2V). So, one charger plus three short cables; a lot lighter and less bulky than three chargers Smile .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jtr, I was wondering about this. Not sure how sensitive Li-ion batteries are to variations in voltage and current...
latest report
A Blackberry is a phone, mine also has an integrated GPS receiver and the web browser links to google earth. If you put an SD card in, it is also an MP3 player (but that is just not the done thing whilst on the piste IMHO). The primary reason for having a blackberry in the first place is to receive emails whilst mobile, therefore doing away with the laptop

So you dont need all these Gizmo's, just the one if you know how to use it. Get with it, get a blackberry and just the one charger

Razz Razz
ski holidays
Hoppo wrote:
jtr, I was wondering about this. Not sure how sensitive Li-ion batteries are to variations in voltage and current...

I also wondered about this with my Nokia phone. Its 860mAh Li-ion battery is rated at 3.7V. The official Nokia supplied charger is rated at 5V, 350mA and they also sell a USB (5V) charger lead (CA 100) which they say is compatible with my phone/battery. I've used the mains-USB charger (rated at 5V, 1A) and the USB lead (? mA) connected to my laptop without any problems or noticeable change in charging times.
snow report
Of course, if you do need to take a laptop as well as a BB you don't need a BB charger, just use a USB lead...
ski holidays
What a load of internet wierdos. Snow for during the day, people based fun in the evening.
rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
freezywater, Luckily no! Its a Nokia 5310i, but is about 7 years old though Embarassed
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, but with my camera I can take pictures of HappyMouffe and other pretty scenery, with the pda and GPS I can record where I've been. With the phone I can provide endless entertainment for people in the vicinity when they realise I have no idea how to use it Toofy Grin
snow report
Nice pix, Hoppo. Smile Where were you when admin called for calender entries? Wink
latest report
abc, I'm December wink I find taking pictures of big snowy landscapes very easy - point camera in roughly correct direction - press button. I've took all of those on my Casio Exilim S20, I'm wondering whether to take my SLR out this year, but to be honest I don't think I'd do any better snowHead
snow report
I bought one of these: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=100844
to charge phone (Via USB charger cable), MP3 player, GPS, and in Zermatt all the phone said was "Not charging" - is there anything weird about swiss voltage ? Im thought it was 230v so should be ok. It work back home Confused
latest report
Jerry, some phones (like my motorola) although they have a usb socket need something more than just the voltage to charge. Thats why you have to use some software to charge from your computer and why it only charges with the supplied (or replica) chargers and not through an adapter. What the something is i've no idea...
snow report
hobbiteater, It seems to charge with the same cable in the laptop ok.
Update: just tried it again and although it doesn't say "Not charging" now, it doesn't seem to be - maybe just duff - will experiment rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy