Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada in April

Poster: A snowHead
What is the snow generally like in Banff, Sunshine, Lake Louise in April?

I can find historical data on average snow depths etc but not snow condition.

Is it still dry powder snow Madeye-Smiley or has it got heavier and slushier by then as it generally does in Europe?

I'll be out in Banff on 5th April for a week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dont know myself, as havent been to Banff yet ( heading there March this year ) but some friends who have been a nimber of times are heading there April 5th as well. The only thing they mention about going so late, the park areas can be resticted due to the wildife Confused
I think they mentioned Norquay closes soon after they arrive because of this.

They did say the snow should still be good though Smile

Have a good trip, and where are you staying ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're staying in the executive cottage / chalet at the Inns of Banff.

Hoping for decent snow snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BrightonSki wrote:
What is the snow generally like in Banff, Sunshine, Lake Louise in April?

I can find historical data on average snow depths etc but not snow condition.

Is it still dry powder snow Madeye-Smiley or has it got heavier and slushier by then as it generally does in Europe?

I'll be out in Banff on 5th April for a week.

April is a good time to fo to Lake Louise. It doesn't get much snow in Jan/Feb - too cold - and then pow arrives march/april.

Good luck - I had a 40cm day early April at the lake 4 years ago. And Sunshine's base should be excellent by then.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It doesn't get much snow in Jan/Feb - too cold

Its never too cold to snow wink Smile Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied great powder at LL & Sunshine at the beginning of May but I would also be prepared for corn. Also be shocked by the lack of punters - most of the local Calgary crowd will have been skiing since Nov so will have given up in favour of the bike n golf clubs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones - It can be too cold to snow, just in case you were serious.

I have never been out that way at that time of year, but I think you should have good conditions still. It should still be decent dry snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check the resorts' advertised closing dates. These are based on demand, not on snow conditions. One year we skied an area on the day they closed - with the highest snowpack of the season. Reason? Everyone had gone sailing down in the valley instead.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wbsr, yeah I was wink

Technically I suppose if temps reached absolute 0 K , but otherwise so long as there is moisture in the air and that air can be lifted snow will develop, although as it gets cooler the less snow will fall. It has been known to snow in temps sub -40 C
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic. What're the temperatures like in April?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've visited Banff several times in early April. The conditions have always been good, often very good. I suspect that you're unlikely to get really top quality powder, but you may well get plenty of fresh snow of decent quality. You may find that the ski out down to the car park at Sunshine will be shut or pretty crap (it's a dreary road, best avoided anyway) and that the lower slopes on the front side at LL get prettty wet and heavy by the end of the day, but it's just as likely that they'll all be in great nick. Mt Norquay will probably be shut.

It can get pretty hot in April, and I think that it's very unlikely to get down to the hideous cold that Canada is infamous for in Feb, but I've experienced some pretty impressive storms at that time (giving great snow conditions).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond wrote:
It can get pretty hot in April, and I think that it's very unlikely to get down to the hideous cold that Canada is infamous for in Feb, but I've experienced some pretty impressive storms at that time (giving great snow conditions).

Sounds good to me, especially the storms part! snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BrightonSki, we've experienced some belters, closing the lifts for the day and giving a couple of feet or more of snow. Not every year, but about 50%, I'd say.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 18-01-08 18:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BrightonSki,

richmond's got it exactly right. You should get some great spring skiing up at Sunshine., but download on the gondola. Norquay - if open - will slush up and is best avoided.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers guys, wasn't especially bothered about Norquay anyway.

Any of you used guides or off-piste instruction in Banff / Sunshine / LL??
ski holidays
BrightonSki, not me, but I can say that as the mountains are privately owned, only employees of the respective ski school are allowed to guide or instruct on them, and only when booked through the school (unless something has changed). This is the usual set up in N.America, I believe. The school at Sunshine is very good in my experience; although it is 3 years since we used it, the set up and ethos is unlikely to have changed. Much less experience of LL, but what I have had was fine.
snow report
BrightonSki,

I can recommend the Club Ski 3-day programme: it might not be operating if Norquay is closed (usually 1 day each at Sunshine, LL and Norquay). If it is, and you are a high end skier and go with the top group (group 6), you'll be doing almost exclusively off-piste skiing with a mad Japanese called Adsushi.
ski holidays
Acacia wrote:
BrightonSki,

I can recommend the Club Ski 3-day programme: it might not be operating if Norquay is closed (usually 1 day each at Sunshine, LL and Norquay). If it is, and you are a high end skier and go with the top group (group 6), you'll be doing almost exclusively off-piste skiing with a mad Japanese called Adsushi.

Sounds interesting - thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy