Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wife has not ski'd for 10 years - advice on 'refresher' lessons at MK or Tamworth..?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

First post here so looking forward to replies Happy

We're suddenly going on a ski holiday in 3 weeks time... now I'm a fully competent skier so thats no problem... but my wife, Catherine, hasn't been since a holiday with school 10 years ago where she did a full week of lessons... no doubt up to snowplough/parallel turns... She can't really remember what she did so I'm going on what I learnt originally in a week many moons ago..!

I've called both MK and Tamworth (Snozone and Snowdome) to see what lessons they can recommend for here to "refresh" her knowledge... hmmm... no specific lessons on that... bit rubbish...

MK said go for their level 5 or above (beyond snowplough turns) as she's done it before where as Tamworth said go for level 1 to see where she stands... two completely opposite recommendations... nice Wink

I'm now thinking a private lesson for £75 at Tamworth (MK for that is £99!) so she's got one to one tuition...

What do any of you guys think? Has anybody been in this situation before?

Cheers

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trembler, Welcome to Snowheads.

Private lesson, this will allow the lesson to be tailored exactly to your needs. You could also try more local dryslopes, less travel, less cost ..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went on my first skiing holiday with my boyfriend who had skied on a dryslope as a child but not for at least 12 years. We both went in the beginer group as he didn't think he would remember much but it came back to him pretty quickly once we were on the snow as it did with another women who was ion the same position as him and your wife. Unless you have loads of cash or your wife is particularly nervous or unsporty I would suggest keeping your money until you are in resort then getting a few private lessons there. They may well be cheaper in resort and they will certainly be more fun on the mountain, alternatively she could have group lessons in resort but maybe start out with the beginer group then move up to the improvers or whatever after a day or so.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
trembler, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

£75 seems a fair bit of dosh for a lesson, although it's better than £99. If cost isn't too much of an issue for you, then go for the one-to-one option. If cash is a problem, then I'd go for the MK suggestion of doing a lesson higher than beginner. Try and pick an obscure time during a weekday and she may find that she's in a small class anyway!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow... those were quick replies...

Ski - Dry slope is a no no... wink I hated them as a learner and while she's having a lesson I want to be messing about for an hour or two - I need to check my boots are still ok!..

Lynsey - Thanks for the good advice... I still think I'd like her to have a lesson here first as I'm going to be at the resort a day later than her (there are others with us but don't know what their standard is - I've somehow managed to be off to a 4 day business meeting beforehand in Murren, Switzerland for 4 days to do some work with my boss - ie, skiing... nice...!). I wouldn't say she's unsporty at all... but possibly a little nervous.. especially as I won't be there on the first day of the hols...

Elizabeth - MK say if you do that and you're useless and dangerous then they will kick you off the slope Very Happy Cost isn't too much of an issue as we're booking last minute on the hol next week so saving money there...

At the moment, I'm edging towards the private lesson... obviously if they can fit her in... I'll ask if they can do a discount on my recreational session given that we're booking a private lesson...

Cheers

Chris
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not been skiing in about 4 years and went for a group level 5 lesson on Wednesday in MK. Was the only on the lesson so a private lesson! Immediatley fell over on the first run. Spent next hour working on technique and was back to parrallel turns at the end. They do a 3 hour level 1-4 as well which had about 3 people on it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
trembler, Welcome.

I'd go with the £75 private at Tamworth...although I haven't been there so do not know the slope but am assuming 170 mtrs will be ok.
Go at one of the quieter times if poss' so if nervous she has as much slope to herself. The lesson can then take into account when she needs and wants to concentrate on...and can do so at her own pace.

Hopefully, that can get her back to pretty much where she was before...or thereabouts and at least look after herself for a day on her own.
It is all about putting the time in, IMV
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Liszt... what time was your lesson just so I can get an idea of when to possibly book the same time to increase chances of limited people on the lesson...? I'm not surprised they have little people on lessons.... we spend 3 days just trying to get through on the phone... I think they need more staff... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
trembler, there's a sneaky way to find out how many people are in a lesson at MK Go to online booking but before you actually book, select the lesson type you want and put in 9 people and see if any come up (they take a max of 10 in a lesson!). Try again with 8, 7 etc. Others may well book after you, but it gives you a good chance of picking a quieter one!

Also check out their "sessions" http://www.snozonemiltonkeynes.com/html/more/activities-prices/recreational/sessions/

I don't know if they do so at MK but the Castleford Xscape provides an instructor available for casual coaching for the weekday morning Freshtrax sessions, which are excellent value compared to normal hourly rates. Monday for 50+, Tues for ladies and Weds for all. They have never really advertised this, so worth checking?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
trembler, Had same issue with my Wife last year. She hadn't been for 15 years so she booked a single group lesson at MK just to refresh her and took a private lesson when in resort. I seriously wouldn't do a private lesson at MK as it is stupidly expensive. Just an hour with a group to find her snow legs again and then something in resort as it'll be cheaper than MK!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
trembler, Was a 9am lesson.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
trembler, I don't think I'd bother if I were you, or her. Book a private lesson for the first morning or two in resort, it'll be cheaper and more fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
trembler, I instruct at Castleford SnoZone and advise that she has a look at the ability chart which is on the website. MK is the same set up as Castleford.

Not many book onto levels 5 & 6 so you should get a small group size (no need to go private), and it's only £6 more than a recreational session.

If she does both levels and passes them, she would get a free hour recreational skiing too.

Level 5 is aimed at skiers who are looking to develop from plough turning into plough parallel; and level six takes you into parallel. We advise that people repeat these levels every so often until they are competent parallel skiers.

The more you do on these indoor slopes results in less time on crowded blues in resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Bat, do Cas still have an casual instructor on for the FreshTrax, Mon-Weds mornings? I am due to come with friends on the morning of Mon 21st and we wondered if that was still the same. Think I might give a level 5 a go myself if I can find a good time to do so.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its like riding a bike. It will come back within 10 minutes.

But then my mum was a rather competent skier beforehand.

My mum had a gap of skiing of 16 years between the seasons of 1991 - 2007. She went to a dry slope and it came back to her within minutes.
ski holidays
Butterfly, I'm not sure as i teach on an evening but i know that there is always an instructor there.

If you want any advice then you can always ask, we don't bite. I'm sure whoever is on will be more then willing to pass on any tips (as long as they aren't busy teaching that is)

wink
snow report
Ski Bat wrote:

If you want any advice then you can always ask, we don't bite.

wink

Yes I know, Alan and Matt have always been really sweet & offered me tips when they have seen me. Matt took me for my level 3&4 and Alan was doing the Monday morning session and both remembered me (prob the most difficult person they'd ever taught Embarassed )
snow report
Just to say thanks all.... bit the bullet yesterday and booked her in on a 1 hour level 4 at MK... she picked it up again in no time and passed the lesson no problem and therefore got a free hour recreational which lined up nicely with the fact I'd booked two hours rec as well... It even took me a few runs to get back up to speed again. She didn't fall over once so I was quite proud Very Happy

BTW... you know those kids who used to think it was funny to put water on your path outside your house when you were younger so it all iced up and you fell over.... yeah.... I think those same kids had been at the top of the MK middle slope yesterday!... I'd have been better off taking my ice skates.. not my ski boots! Confused

Great fun though... and 18 days and counting until Switzerland then France Very Happy

Chris
snow report
trembler, good to hear you both enjoyed yourselves... although i would always say that if she did fall over that would have been okay too.

If you fall over it means you are trying, and that's a good thing. As long as you don't push it too far and put yourself into a position where you might get hurt. I reckon the best way to progress is to get out of your comfort zone, which can hold people back when it comes to learning new skills.

I spent a whole day on a very steep narrow mogul run a few years ago, falling over everywhere. By the end of the day i was starting to get a few nice turns in the fall line before the lifts closed, but the real progress was apparent when i got back onto the piste. That day pushed my skiing ability on quicker than any other day in the mountains.

Enjoy Switzerland. I'd say i was jealous but i'm off to Canada on Wednesday... they have well over 2 metres of powder!! I cannot wait

Very Happy
snow conditions
Was at MK this morning. They have closed the top of the middle run as it is very icy. Can still get on to it from the other side though.
snow report
Liszt.... I'm not surprised... it was carnage last night... there was no-one using the middle slope towards the end of last night... altho... they did open a bar up there doing cocktails and the barman was busy chipping away between orders! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy