Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis - Where to Start?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just found out the cost of ski hire in the states for my 10 day trip in March, £180 for superior skis, and decided that it make financial sense to buy some discounted skis rather than hire as I have done over recent years. My previous skis were thin Fisher SC4 200cm and Kastle Rage 193cm, from another time!

Things have moved on with carvers, all mountain and freeride etc. and it's another world compared to the one I used to know.

I'm 52 yo, 180 cm tall, 85-90 kg (closer to 90kg after Xmas) and a good intermediate/lower advanced skier, confident on all pistes/in most conditions at moderate speed. Approx 80/20 split for piste/easy off piste

After browsing several threads on here I'm thinking of buying a bargain from Ski Bilek or Sport Conrad and have more research to do on what is going to be best for me from the hundreds of skis on offer. Looking to pay less than £180 delivered if possible but have some flexibility on price.

1. Lots of the skis offered seem to be less than 170cm. As a guide, what length of ski would be right for me?

2. Suggestions on particular make/model? (or what to avoid) would be very welcome.

3. Anything to look out for with online purchases from Germany? Tax/import duty?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hunsbury, looking at your location, if I were you, I'd head off to the local ski resort and talk to Ellis Brigham about testing some of their skis. It's not the best place for testing, but it will give you an idea of whether you like the feel or not, before you then go on the internet to purchase!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of ski length I would be looking around 170. Ski Bilek tend to offer best deals on fischer skis. if not bothered about off piste then I suggest fischer rx8. As you are looking for off piste performance as well the fischer AMC 76 . Suggest you bid up to £150 on the AMC 76 and I think you'll probably pick a pair up. My friend bought skis from conrad last year and was very happy, tho they tend to be more expensive than ebay bidding on ski bilek tho cheaper than UK.

I'd also consider K2 apache Crossfire, K2 Recons . Sure others will come along with their own suggestions shortly. testing is sensible at least it may enable you to say I really don't like or do like. Look on UK ebay as well, tehre are some deals
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hunsbury, EB in Xscape were knocking out some of their test skis cheap, might be worth a look.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What would it cost to buy in the states as soon as you arrive? With the exchange rate as it is, I suspect that you may be able to get a good price?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hunsbury, I fit your profile pretty well (a little bit younger Wink ) and I've recently bought myself a brand-new last-season pair of K2 Apache Recons in 181cm. I love them! A bit more than you're expecting to pay though at £270.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love this forum. snowHead Thanks for the replies so far.

Elizabeth B - Off to EB tomorrow, initial net searches doesn't show buying in US to be any better than buying a 2007 ski before I go. Need to explore further though.
Spyderman - will look at EB's test skis for sale
Dan100 - AMC 76's have been mentioned several times on this forum and look a good buy
Nick B - will look at the K2's
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It may not be cheaper but if you "demo" while in the state, most shop will allow you to apply your demo fee towards the cost of buying. You're more likely to get one you really like instead of what other people like. Just make sure you shop you rent from carries large enough variety of brands and models.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy