Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time holiday at last minute

Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend and i want to go on a skiing holiday next friday (18th) for a week, we have never been before and are having trouble finding somewhere last minute for 2 people. Ive been reading that meribel is a good place to go and trying to find hotels because with it being the 2 of us i presume a chalet is out of the question.

We really need some help, can anyone point me in the right direction!

any help would REALLY be appreciated.

thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hiya and welcome Naryn, try looking on teletextholidays.co.uk or igluski for a start, two can stay in a room of a catered chalet that many tour operators run, Meribel is popular with Brits (some call it Surrey on snow), but there are lots of other resorts where you can learn. Suggestions will follow I'm sure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A tip for your search, you'll find that most tour operators depart on Sat or Sun (not Friday) for snow holidays. There are some operators who do all-inclusive learn-to ski/snowboard packages that include lessons, equipment hire and lift pass, some resorts also have some free lifts for beginners where you'll spend the first few days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not having done it before im finding it hard to pull it all together, it would be easier if we can find something thats flights, accom, and transfers so its less stress! Was just looking at Saalbach Hinterglemm as well as it was suggested on here.

Is it better to get a normal package and book lessons there rather than an inclusive learners package, i was thinking about 1-2-1 to learn faster so we can get out there on our own asap.

thanks for the help
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
try crystal and thomson, they have some good last minute deals (But when your getting a quote online be sure to continue all the way through as if you was going to book because they normally give online discount from £60-£200 even on late deals.)

You can also book everything up front i.e lift passes, equipment hire, lessons etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

im finding it hard to pull it all together

Let a tour operator do it for you, January is normally a less busy month so you should be able to find something pretty heavily discounted on the web or phoning independent agents off the teletext and snow conditions this year are great.

Choice of resort, it's up to you, as long as there's snow, an easy slope and someone to teach you, you can learn anywhere, but some resorts are better for beginners because they have more easy longer runs to progress onto later in the week, your instructor shouldn't take you onto anything you can't cope with. It's gonna take a few days to master the basics, by the end of the week, you should be able to tackle the blues and maybe some reds, depending on your progress.

You'll probably learn a bit quicker having private lessons, but sometimes it's more fun to be in a group and you can gauge your progress against others and realise it's not just you who can't get the hang of it and keeps falling over. You can arrange the lessons as part of the package or separately, the resort rep will help you, usually on the coach transfer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As to Saalbach, never been but it's a place I've often had on the radar of nice places to ski, well known for some lively apres-ski (as most of the larger Austrian resorts) Just looking at my "Where to Ski and Snowboard" book it gives it 3 out of 5 for beginners, probably marked down a bit because it doesn't have lots of progresser runs, but don't let that put you off if it's a good deal, you'll always have fun in Austria.

I'm surprised there haven't been more replies, perhaps you need to edit your title to include "HELP" "BEGINNER"
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just reading a bit further Saalbach is marked 3 out of 5 for beginners because the beginner's slopes can be "crowded and sunny", both shouldn't be a problem in January, also says "lots of easy blue runs to move on to, especially on the south-facing side of the valley", so sounds ideal, snow report on Skiclub.co.uk is good too, so go for it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
naryn, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Package is the easiest way to go, especially for your 1st time. That way you don't have to think too much. However, as you've probably picked up from here, once you know what you are doing, then a lot of people prefer DIY.

Saalbach is a great resort. I've not been there with beginners, but I can imagine that it would be suitable. If you decided to "DIY" then you would need to book flights to Salzburg, book a transfer, and book somewhere to stay. Saalbach has a large number of Pensions (B&B) that are ususally very reasonably priced. You would then need to sort out equipment hire, lift pass and lessons.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are some good Catered Chalet deals sub £200 on www.igluski.com for this weekend 12th-13th and £250-£300 for next 19th-20th, these may come down in price as we get nearer the departure date. That's pretty good value for flights, accommodation and food in some of the top resorts in France, Austria or Switzerland. You stay in a Chalet with other guests, you eat meals together cooked by your Chalet host (who has hopefully mastered this season's menu by now), you have your own room of course and normally, but not always, en-suite bathroom. You are stuck spending mealtimes round a table with the other guests but it usually means some good laughs, camaraderie and advice for beginners, sometimes could get on your nerves if you don't click with someone, I've always had a good time though.

You could go B&B or HB in a hotel if you prefer to keep yourself to yourself. These aren't normally so heavily discounted as the Chalet deals as tour ops must try and fill the Chalets to not lose money.

You need to find somewhere preferably that is close to the nursery slopes where the lessons are held, post some of the ideas here and I'm sure someone who knows the place will tell you if it's suitable. There's often a good ski bus service in resorts to help ferry people about, so this is another, but less convenient, option.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
naryn, do you have to go Friday to Friday? Most tour op cheap deals will be Saturday changeovers. If you can go on the Saturday that would access you loads of cheap deals.

Or, DIY, fly Friday (cheaper flights) and you'll still be able to get acccommodation pretty much anywhere. It would only be transfers you would need to 'worry' about, but if you pick your resort carefully, this doesn't have to be a worry at all.

D
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
naryn, welcome to Snowheads. Lots of good advice above. I'm sure you'll find something, and can echo the comments from luigi about catered chalets - normally good fun, and plenty of last minute availability, as long as you go on Sat or Sun! You will need a week's worth of lessons to make good progress - don't give up too soon - you will probably make progress faster with private lessons, but it still takes a good few lessons to master even the basics. Have fun. Personally, I wouldn't specially recommend Meribel for beginners. In the 3 Valleys, I think Courchevel 1650 or 1850 or Val Thorens, are better for beginners. Austria should be fun too - why don't you look at a specific deal, then get back on here for immediate feedback on the resort. You'll have a great time! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks so much! All the replies have been really useful. I'm got a billion web pages open and am trying to find somewhere in Saalbach-Hinterglemm to stay starting 19th or 20th. Considering everything i am reading says that January is early and not peak season there doesnt seem to be much around! So dont care if its a chalet or hotel so long as its easy to get lessons and easy to access the slopes and that i actually find something!

naryn
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After getting excited about the idea of a trip to Austria (ive never been), i found this:

Val Thorens, Chalet, 7 nights, catered incl transfers and flights £285pp, that any good?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
naryn, that sounds good. Chalets are a good choice for a first holiday, and there aren't so many in Austria. Val Thorens is convenient - has an easy slope that goes right through the village (you won't have to walk too far in ski boots) and has loads of snow because it is so high. It is not very pretty - in fact, it is not at all pretty, and because it is high, it can be quite cold and windy. But that's better than being warm and windy, which is what much of the Alps has been today! What company is that with?
ski holidays
Been there, naryn, good choice for a beginner, nice gentle nursery slopes with moving walkways and some easy blues above to progress on, the highest resort in the Alps at 2300m, so above the tree-line, can be cold and exposed in bad weather, but when I went it was glorious sunshine all week. Purpose-built, so no real village charm, but everything is convenient for skiing, most accommodation has direct access to a piste. Long toboggan run if you want something else to do.
snow report
Naryn,

Would agree with many have said above. Sallbach Smile

I would higly recommend First Choice and Soldeu in Andorra. Somewhere near the Gondala. Or Even El-Tarter.

Soldeu because... Took the Wife & two girls there on their first ever ski holiday and the ski school was excellent. On the first day they all skied all the way down to the resort. I was impressed !

I say First choice as their web site is up front and dont hide the supliments and you can book lessons, passes etc and know how much the holiday will cost before entering lots of information not really needed for a costing.

Most the other web sites.... you just end up entering dates of birth, insurace cover or names and much more to find the true cost of the holiday.. Quite annoying.... Especially when the end result says unavailable Puzzled Or it has so many suppliments its not even half the deal you thought it looked like...

First choice reps are fantastic too ! (No I dont work for them lol)

To summarise..

First Choice - Easy web site to use, Cost is up front & booking is easy with clearly marked prices for passes, tuition etc etc.
Soldeu has one of the best Ski Schools in Europe - But only for begginers advancing to intermediates.. Not for advanced IMHO !
First Choice reps were great !

Soldeu & El tarter Apri Ski cater for all...
snow report
naryn wrote:
My girlfriend and i want to go on a skiing holiday next friday (18th) for a week, we have never been before and are having trouble finding somewhere last minute for 2 people. Ive been reading that meribel is a good place to go and trying to find hotels because with it being the 2 of us i presume a chalet is out of the question.

We really need some help, can anyone point me in the right direction!

any help would REALLY be appreciated.

thanks!

Hi ya!
Try Alpe D'huez! it's perfect for beginners, and gets lots of sun. I'm off there on the 19th with my boyfriend.
Also bookableski do some really good offers! (flights, accommodation and food included!)

Leaving on a friday might be a problem though as most packages leave on saturdays... see below for a couple of good offers!

http://www.bookableski.co.uk/France/Alpe+D%60huez/ski-holiday/2BAA49/ £288 each for a week fully catered!

Let me know if you choose Alpe D'huez!
snow conditions
Thanks to everyone who has replied, i was amazed how friendly this place is to a new poster! Due to the late booking and how busy its got we have ended up booking to Les Deux Alpes, Saturday to Saturday. WE are getting a horribly early flight out but that means we will be on location with the full day ahead of us. Now i just need to sort out kit, lift pass and boarding school hopefully to start lunchtime saturday Very Happy

Any further advice about this resort would be greatfully received. I will be saving up the other suggestions i have received for the next time out!
ski holidays
naryn wrote:
Thanks to everyone who has replied, i was amazed how friendly this place is to a new poster! Due to the late booking and how busy its got we have ended up booking to Les Deux Alpes, Saturday to Saturday. WE are getting a horribly early flight out but that means we will be on location with the full day ahead of us. Now i just need to sort out kit, lift pass and boarding school hopefully to start lunchtime saturday Very Happy

Any further advice about this resort would be greatfully received. I will be saving up the other suggestions i have received for the next time out!

Book your lift pass with ski extras! and do it asap the the exchange rate right now is getting worse every day!
latest report
Glad you found something, naryn, never tried LDA, so can't advise, have a good time! Get a good alarm clock for the early start, thereagain, I bet you won't be able to sleep, cos of the excitement
snow conditions
naryn, try Crystal's last minute site, www.crystalskizone.co.uk

They have this: http://www.crystalskizone.co.uk/viewholiday.cfm?hid=2712

Some really good deals on here and you've got the beauty of it being with a major travel company. £234 is a steal. Not your prefferred resort but I've heard it's pretty good.
snow report
naryn, be careful with organising anything for your day of arrival. You may find you are sitting in a coach in the airport for ages waiting for the next flight to come in.
ski holidays
Specialman, nothing beautiful about TUI. Evil or Very Mad

I have one twin room left for next week, selling at £199 per head, Friday transfers. Last minute holiday, anyone?
ski holidays
TUI????
snow report
Specialman, TUI = Crystal, Thomson, First Choice.
ski holidays
naryn wrote:

Les Deux Alpes is a great pick for you.....you can go right up to the top and enjoy the view instead of just staying round the nursery slopes at the bottom of the hill which is the norm in most resorts. Don't try to ski/board back down to the village though, the runs are all horribly steep except for a nasty green snail trail which isn't worth the effort.

If you're feeling lazy you can just book up all the extra bits and pieces: kit hire, lift pass, board school on the bus on the way to the resort...the only thing to be aware of is that the TO rep will charge you at an overinflated exchange rate and with the Euro so poor at the moment it will be an expensive option. You can do it all yourself easily enough with some advice on best school etc from the snowHeads boarders and the wonders of t'internet...
latest report
naryn, If you are not bothered about skiing in a large group (why would you prefer that?) and want to learn quickly then why not contact Easiski. I was there last week and arranged lift pass, ski hire and tuition through her and can't recommend her highly enough. We had a great week. Only down side was we had an early flight and had hoped to ski the first day. However, we couldn't book into our hotel unil 5pm Evil or Very Mad wasted the day Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mogs, people get narky if you turf them out of their rooms in the small hours of the morning, and it takes a while to clean the entire place and make all the beds. Hence you can't just walk into your room when you arrive at ten in the morning.
snow conditions
Excellent - you'll love it Smile
ski holidays
Lizzard, We arrived at 12ish midday and the reception was closed and I mean shutters down. Others in the reception area had been there since 10am and had seen no one. We assumed as you say that the rooms were being cleaned. However, just before departure day we found that we had to clean our own rooms, to a spotless condition. They were inspected at 4.45 am before we left. Any faults had a 60 Euro charge. Our room was prestine at 5am. I assume most people leave rooms this way so this does not explain why the rooms were not available. Also there were only two pick up times from the hotel. 5am and 6am. This gives a clear 11 hours of empty rooms
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
naryn, be careful with organising anything for your day of arrival. You may find you are sitting in a coach in the airport for ages waiting for the next flight to come in.

hmm, flight arrives Grenobles at 7am so was hoping to be in the resort before midday, dump the bags in the holding room and head for the gear and therefore hoping to book a lesson for the first day.

Im going to book the board, boots and pass tonight and hopefully the school but i think i need to find out if im likely to be waiting ages as you say. i will book the kit anyway as it seems to be that 6 or 7 days is the same price (7th day free etc) so makes no odds financially there. Maybe i can find a flexible school Razz
snow conditions
Mogs wrote:
naryn, If you are not bothered about skiing in a large group (why would you prefer that?) and want to learn quickly then why not contact Easiski.

Thanks for the suggestion but i am well and truely set on learning to board not ski. It's difficult to describe why, i imagine many people have had the same feeling but i have no interest in skiing at all at this point and a big desire to learn boarding. Maybe related to the fact i have enjoyed surfing in the past who knows, boarding just feels more organic to me the fact it becomse part of your body shape that doesnt just 'pop' off. My girlfriend will be skiiing though Happy. I did 1 day boarding in canada north of toronto a few years ago and it was good fun, now im going to put everything into learning properly.

SmileSmileSmile
ski holidays
You could contact The European Ski School for board lessons as they have good english or english speaking instructors. (Robin is a BASI instructor working for them, he teaches boarding, Alex is good or Christian if available). Carrel Sports would be my recommendation for kit - they open very early on Sunday am. Your Tour Operator will have an opinion on who you should hire with, and despite their reputation, it should at least mean the shop is nearby. (Last week heard of someone who bypassed the TO advice, booked on line, turned out the hire shop was in Le Village miles away from him and didn't open til 9.30 - pity as he was staying opposite the recommended shop and his lessons started at 8.45am!) D
ski holidays
chaletglacier wrote:
Last week heard of someone who bypassed the TO advice, booked on line, turned out the hire shop was in Le Village miles away from him and didn't open til 9.30

I found a good map of L2A: http://www.les2alpes.com/en/hiver/resort-information/station-map.html

Coupled with http://skiset.com/index-en.html

Hibernatus is a shop a short walk from our hotel. I was going to try and find out if they are any good to hire from?!?
snow report
naryn, if you can surf, boarding will be easy. I also vote for Robin at the European - he taught me to board last year, was very good. We use Hibernatus for guests, never had any complaints.
snow conditions
emailed European and the response was that cos im due at the resort so soon i should just pop into the office on arrival. Is that going to cost me more or does it make no difference with ski school?

And i know the rep is going to try and sell me ski school on the bus and i cant stand being sold too i like to choose for myself Very Happy
snow conditions
naryn, Generally makes no difference with ski school. They have fixed rates, and rarely any discount for early/pre booking.

You don't say who you are traveling with, but my recent experience with Crystal/Thomson is that they tell everybody what is available at the start of the transfer, then just come around and sell you what you ask for from the list. No "hard" sell at all. I would hope other operators are similar.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy