Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada - Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Banff in Feb and hiring a car for the week from Calgary, is there any requirement for snow chains, either for the trip to Banff or getting to and from the slopes. – what are peoples experiences ???
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i never saw anyone using chains, the roads to the slopes are pretty well snowploughed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well its a highway right down to Banff, just take the cut off.
pretty straight and flat probs no need. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never used them although I have always had a 4x4. The highway should be no problem at all and as stevev said the roads to the slopes are usually well ploughed. There was a old beamer in front of us a few weeks back that had its rear wheels spinning for a while as it slid backwards downhill towards us, but it managed to find grip at the side of the road and was fine. We do also have a fair few vehicles slide off the roads and flip whenever there is a bit of snowfall, but I'm pretty sure that is all down to not driving according to the conditions rather than lack of chains!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Guys - Sounds like we'll be ok - It's a 4x4 I have hired - and I didn't get the impression chains were needed, Cant wait to get over there now!!!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We hired a 4x4 last year and toured around several resorts and didn't need snow chains at all and very rarely saw them. Coming back over from Golden to Lake Louise in quite a bad storm but had no problem with our car and were regularly overtaken by normal saloons Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anniegirl wrote:
... were regularly overtaken by normal saloons Very Happy

A lot of variables.

The "locals" who pass you may have snow tires on their family saden.

They could be someone from Florida who has no idea how long it takes to stop on snow, and maybe on the road side a few miles later.

And depending on your luck, you may get a car that has great handling and good tires. Or you may get one with poor road feel and half-worn tires.

But for only getting from the airport to the village, no need for anything fancy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never seen chains in Canada excepton logging trucks which go on unploughed roads. Ploghing is very efficient on the highways.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I lived in a bit of Canada where we had snow on the roads for 6 months of the year. Only the local snowplough had chains, everyone else used studded winter tyres, which are great. Calgary to Banff is fairly gentle as far as hills are concerned.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy