Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis from hire shops, I have a question??

Poster: A snowHead
I have now skied for just over 3 weeks and have hired skis each time, always going for the 'beginner' option.
During our last trip I found it quite difficult to turn easily, even though I feel my technique is improving ( ok I'm still not great) but I no longer snowplough turn and do turn parallel to the point where my weight is very much on my turning ski as much that I can lift my uphill leg off the ground.
The question is should I now hire 'intermediate' skis? I am still nervous and am worried that I'll end up with skis that will take me too fast and that I might find difficult to control? I didn't change the last ones mid week as I somehow figured that I was best sticking to slow and awkward! Now does that sound like me being 'crap' or the skis? Embarassed Embarassed
Also being novices we expect the hire shops to provide quality equipment and trust that they are serviced/waxed etc, but how do we know?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I took my wife to a ski shop over new year..in France la Tania...she is a beginner (10 Sunday mornings on dry slope). They offered her beginner skis...no problem..until I saw them edges were so blunt you wouldn't be able to grip anything on a slope with them. The intermediate skies however were fine they where just the newer version of the beginner skis..made her life much easier...

My advice would be to check them first most intermediate skis I've seen hired are just newer and better maintained pretty middle of the road skis I can't see it pays the shops to buy anything other than the ford mondeo of skis to rent out....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're skiing in a quite outside-ski-dominant way you might even want to go better than intermediate skis, as the extra stiffness might be useful (it is for me, and I would only class myself as intermediate). I personally wouldn't worry too much about them going 'too fast'. Go for the inters, don't be nervous. Soft beginner skis are probably holding you back. I myself feel a lot *more* in control with the stiffer skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feefee, When we skied at MK I would say that you were better than me. Yet, this lot on here said the skis I got weren't beyond me, but they are firmly medium to top end intermediate skis. On that evidence I rekon you'll be OK - why don't you ask for intermediates that are still easy to turn - they might have several options.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you go for better skis and don't find that they help then you should be able to change them. Why not try a few different types to see what suits ? Most Hire shops will let you swap skis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, When you tested your new skis at MK how did they 'feel' in comparison to skis you used before?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feefee, I think my over-riding sensation was that they were more 'grippy'. You could stand on the outside ski - as you describe in you OP and boy did it 'cut-in' I found this resulted in over-steering. They also seemed stiffer than other skis and it was almost as though they didn't bend round the corners as easy, but in some respects this seemed to be compensated for by the ease with which they cut into the snow. I ended up on my backside (on the slope) twice, but it was quite busy and the slope did have a number of obstacles so it wasn't really beginner territory - also they were a tad longer than what I've used previously. I certainly don't think they are insurmountable and I expect/hope that on a proper ski slope after a couple of hours I'll find them as easy as the Volkl g3's I had on holiday last year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feefee, If you're finding them difficult to turn then maybe you had skis that were too stiff/too long. How tall/heavy are you?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, 5'2" and 57ish?kg I think they were 140cm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
to tell if they have been waxed and edged: the bases should look densly black (assuming the bases are black coloured!), not grey and 'thirsty' looking. If there is lots of fresh snow it shouldn't stick in clumps under your ski like it would to a non waxed ski. If you run the back of your hand over the edges, you will begin to get a feel for sharp/blunt skis and a properly sharp edge will remove a sliver of finger nail when pulled across it. If it is hard packed or icy the edges being sharp is really important - less so in new soft snow. See if you can get a recommendation of hire shop to use before you go. Don't go higher than intermediate skis or they will be too stiff and heavy and won't do you any favours. 'Intermediate' should be fine for you now.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feefee, They sound fine. Just tell them how long you've been skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In general if a shop offers you 'beginner' skis and really what they mean are cheap skis that are poorly maintained then go somewhere else if you can, or go for intermediate skis instead if this means the skis are better maintained. The edges of skis should be SHARP, almost enough that you can cut yourself on them, and smooth without jagged bits along their length. Skis with blunt, damaged or poorly sharpened and rounded edges just won't work, especially bad on hard snow or ice, and you'll have the impression that you can't turn. The base should be flat, smooth and shiny. Don't accept skis that are rough, dry and flaky on the bottom as these will be a real pain if the snow is wet or heavy. Really there's no excuse for rental shops shoving poorly maintained skis at beginners because they don't know any better and you don't have to accept them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys Very Happy we learn something new each time don't we? at least I'll have a bit more of a clue next time! and yes I'll give the intermediates a go and let you know how I get on! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's interesting (and very helpful) reading peoples' thought about hiring skis and whether to plump for beginners or intermediates

I'm a ski novice, having learned to ski (the basics over 3 months) at the dry ski slope in Birmingham. I'm off on my first 'proper' ski trip at the end of Feb and will need to hire some skis. Whilst I'm no Ingemar Stenmark, I also want something that's going to make my life easy(ier) on the slopes. From what I can see, the difference in cost betwee beginners and intermediate (superior) skis is only a few euros when it comes to hiring. I guess my questions are:-

1) as a novice, would I genuinely appreciate the difference between the two types of ski?

2) as it's only a few Euros, should I just plump for the superior skis anyway?

3) if I did go the superior route, would it 'hinder' my skiing or make life more difficult?

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleipnir, Yes, Yes, No
snow report
An update!! just returned from a weekend, went for the intermediate skis and.....................much better Very Happy found them really easy to turn and found my confidence, fantastic time, thanks all for your help Very Happy
snow report
My other half has been on beginner and intermidiate skis for the past few years this year I booked her VIP and said nothing she liked them so much she wanted to buy them made a huge diffrence for her couldnt belive it
ski holidays
Mmmm....

On the thread below I asked the same question but with more detail, naming the skis offered for bronze (beginner) and silver (intermediate) and asking if its worth paying the extra for the silver. There was just one response (appreciated) basically saying that the listed bronze is fine and to save the extra money for beer.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35368

Is it maybe a case of the state of the skis rather than the spec? If all the hire skis were edged and waxed to the same degree, what difference would it make to either an beginner or intermediate to hire beginner or intermediate skis?
latest report
Jeraff, My experience this weekend was, 22 euros per day economy, 25 euros per day gold?, or 30? euros vip, i think Confused
I just said I wanted intermediate, got given economy and they were great! Very Happy between us we has an assortment of economy/gold/vip and everyone was happy, the only difference (again I think) is that the expert/vip skis were much stiffer and would not have suited me. My guess is to tell the hire shop as much info as you can regarding experience etc so that they can provide suitable skis. Sorry for rambling, but hope it helps Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy