Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advantages /disadvantages of blades?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hoping someone can fill me in on the advantages /disadvantages of blades as opposed to normal skis. Are they suitable for beginners or do you need to master skis first ?

tia
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do real skis first. Then play for an afternoon on blades (rental shop can probably lend a pair for peanuts for a half day).

Advantages... the carve ones a laugh on big wide open uniform well pisted slopes if/when you can get them right up on edge, they are probably a laugh in the funpark
Disadvantages... they don't work in powder, if you have a bad stance they are a disaster on steep icy slopes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Advantages: can be bloody good fun!

Disadvantages: everything else. (But, occassionally, a bit of 'different' fun is nice - variety's the spice of life after all).

I spend the (very, very) occassional day on blades, usually when my skis are being serviced.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what I've seen of others using them, I'd say there are zero advantages!
I've seen maybe a couple of people looking confident on them. The rest seemed like ducks on a frozen lake.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hired a set at the end of my first ski hol
tried em, loved em, never had skis since.

as a beginner they give you the confidence of being able to turn and stop, and that makes the holiday fun instead of scary Smile
they are more forgiving than skis (if you have lazy legs ,like me, and trail the ski tail ) enabling you to step out of any wobble without crossing the skis and taking a tumble

as an intermediate there's less to lug around and no poles \o/

some interesting safety information on release binding settings for skiboards can be found here http://www.ski-injury.com/snowblade.htm that doesnt seem widely known.
we have Head big-easy skiboards and my wife needed to hire boots last time out and the hire shop set the bindings to normal ski settings, and as i had no screwdriver, i had to persuade them to drop the setting on the heel

if you can roller-skate or ice-skate you can skiboard Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Advantage: short. This means a short published turn radius so they carve short turns. This also means they are easy to skid. Some people conflate "carve short turns" and "easy to skid" into "easy to turn". The ones with fat waists (80 mm and up) have an advantage of having a wider base of support when not edged, so are easier to control because slower to respond to irregularities in the snow.

Disadvantage: short. This means that being easy to skid intentionally on hero snow they will unintentionally skid on ice. This means that the base of support, when edged or not, is shorter and thereby smaller, requiring better front-to-back balance. The ones with fat waists (80 mm and up) have a disadvantage of having a longer distance to the edged base of support, requiring bigger moves to get the skier's center of mass onto the base of support.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy