Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

oh no pineapple express on the way

Poster: A snowHead
looks like bc/ab gona get hit by a pineapple express on sun/mon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puzzled
can we have that in english please
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a tropical storm that comes from the tropics that dumps loadsa rain on coastal bc and dumps loads a snow in the interior of bc.alberta
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So lots for Banff, and it will be washing the snow off the mountain in Whistler.
snowangel., I'd stay in Serre Che if I were you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, sounds like a good idea! so its like le fue that we get here.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
powhound, That will be good for Silver Star and Big White then?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Pineapple Express is not always a bad thing.

When you get one of those massive 2 meter dumps that sometimes occur in the PNW, the avi risk goes through the roof and stays there until some rain comes along to settle the snow pack. You actually need that rain if you want to be able to ski. There is also often a fair bit of snow on the tail end of the Pineapple Express as cold air sweeps down from the Gulf of Alaska in the tropical air's wake.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BBC weather is showing 6-8 degrees C on Sun-Mon in Vancouver, so with a bit of luck it'll fall as snow at altitude up at Whistler and other resorts further in the interior, won't it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I was in Fernie 3 years ago, end of Jan the pineapple express dump 50cm rain in whistler, washed pretty much all the snow away in Fernie. They should have closed it but they just kept it open at the top. We headed to Banff where it was slightly cooler but still had rain on most the mountain, but at least there was some piste skiing to be had. Took 3 weeks until it cooled again and snowed. Three long weeks, I'm still recovering from it, scarred for life.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/video/ check out out long range forecast
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowangel. wrote:
Puzzled
can we have that in english please

The pineapple express takes its name because of where the moisture tap typically forms...the Hawaiian islands.
Ami was correct in that the moisture laden air meets the jet stream sweeping down from the gulf of Alaska. Unfortunately this doesn't always work out and all we get is rain.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad all this good snow recently in Whistler, and im due to land on the same day as the pinapple!

Ah well, best pack some wet weather gear and hope for snow up top....
Guessing that pistes are going to end up rather icy?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is and will be plenty of snow at the middle and top, no need to panic. We've had pineapple expresses through many times before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, we went to Whislter three years ago, just after that. It was an anxious wait for our holiday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
waynos, we went to Whislter three years ago, just after that. It was an anxious wait for our holiday.

That one was a tropical punch!
latest report
It just rolled through last night here in N. ID so glad I spent time clearing snow from the roof and problem areas, nothing but rain all night. All this and 2' of snow on the ground, now a very wet mess.
ski holidays
stuarth, was that what we were drinking in the GLC ?? Very Happy
snow report
The pineapple express, combined with an Alaskan cold front, brings about record percipitation in the form of snow, so a pineapple express is not always bad news.

Quote:
For example, 2007 and 1999 were record years for Whistler. Both happened when the coast was visited by a Pineapple Express from Hawaii, bringing moist air from the Pacific Ocean to the Pacific Northwest, where it was cooled by a cold front hanging over the Gulf of Alaska. La Nina — a weather phenomenon that sometimes means big snow years for Whistler — is also in full effect.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?cat=C_News&content=Weather+by+roemer+1502
snow report
Great skiing on Mtn with 17cm of fresh, at least it snowed, can't believe how good it was. Toofy Grin

Nothing like a good la nina winter.
ski holidays
supposed to be 2 pineapples on the way
latest report
I like your Pineapple Expresses - 35cm of snow down to Valley level at Whistler for next few days.

I'll take more of those any day - we should get a foot today/tonight at White Pass in WA. I actually suspect its going to snow any minute now in the Eastern WA desert.

I love La Nina Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Still looks like its going to be heavy rain on Monday though, just in time to soak me while drag kit through town trying to find my hotel lol
That said, the last few years weve allways been lucky and ended up getting snow instead of the forcast rain, so fingures crossed!

All packed up now and ready to go!!!
latest report
the weather network said that there is a load of cold air coming down from oop north so hopefully that pineapple moisture will turn into a big dump...
snow conditions
PhotoTim wrote:
the weather network said that there is a load of cold air coming down from oop north

Indeed - look at the nasty blue and purple colours for end of the week on the current GFS run! Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
that looks bloody cold, better take more base layers and double them up ,,,3 days to go till jasper
ski holidays
hd, Ouch that looks nippy
latest report
That looks like a seriously cold Arctic blast for the Rockies, hope the Pacific weather returns before I hit Banff at end of Feb, I don't fancy losing any fingers! Wrap up warm if you're heading out next week.
ski holidays
im taking my daughter for her first experience of the canadian rockies on weds for 2 weeks in jasper( dont think she will forget it either by those temps)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddyr wrote:
hd, Ouch that looks nippy

It does, and I am concerned. We fly out to Montana on the 23rd for 10 days in Big Mountain then Fernie so at this early stage I'm seriously hoping for a forecast change. Down to -20 I can handle but who knows what temps are on those charts. -30? -40? Shocked

There's no point worrying about it though as it's still very early days in forecast terms and we're going anyway and I can't wait Very Happy. And I'd rather have temps too cold than too hot - it keeps the snow in good condition... Confused

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 13-01-08 14:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
ive done - 35 , 5 years ago in alaska it just bites your skin a bit (thats what it feels like) i can handle it its just my daughter she not felt the cold since stowe when she was 6 (shes 12 now)
ski holidays
I skiied minus 20C last Jan,I found that pretty tough on the extremities and face (even with a face mask on) for any length of time, a short ski was OK but it got a little rediculous. Luckily it warmed after a couple of days, ended up feeling hot!
snow conditions
The latest GFS runs aren't as severe, the Arctic air is further East than it was, but still getting colder for Western Canada/US, but it'll probably change again by tomorrow.
latest report
luigi wrote:
The latest (00Z) GFS runs aren't as severe

Ditto the 06Z. Fingers crossed. The last thing want is a big blocking high pressure giving dry and bonkers cold weather. (actually i guess a full-on pineapple would be worse, but still, powder is what we've paid for)

Of course it's way off in forecast terms, and we're going to have a great holiday whatever happens, so I should stop looking, right? But can't help myself... wink
snow conditions
came across this on the canadian weather site... show's the "pineapple express" quite well... even if it looks nothing like a pineapple.

snow conditions
shoogly, MY EYES Shocked Shocked Shocked (can you make it a bit smaller?)
latest report
nope... sorry. don't know how Puzzled

at least you get a good idea at how big the storm is!
latest report
If you have the latest Google Earth you can activate "cloud" layer in the primary database under Weather to obtain the view shoogly, has displayed. Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
stuck here in torrentialal rain in somerset.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................my heart bleeds for all you poor folk stuck in the hills in north america, you poor things rolling eyes
ski holidays
sequoiaboard, had a really good day on the hill today, but thanks anyway!!!! At least you've got proper cider in Somerset (my home county too)!
snow report
Going to whistler for the first time end February. Pineapple express? NOOOOOOOOOOO snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy