Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen/Grindelwald area... ? Jungfrau thingy, you know...?

Poster: A snowHead
carled wrote:
stab wrote:
dont expect any replies this weekend, town is mental with the bloody race.

Dammit stab, get back on your own thread man! wink

I've had an entertaining hour or so wading through some of your posts on the "main thread". If we end up in Wengen I will make it my mission on the holiday to track you down and treat you to a beer for the amusement I have derived out of your posts. Cheers.

He is hard to track down! Hiding out of sight of the Bench Outside the Certain Sports Shop!

stab wrote:
or join my new club, the DOH, Double OverHead Very Happy
membership consists of me at the moment.

See above for a reason Wink?

I'm considering what my price must be to 'expose' him. Seems stab is in high demand these days Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ronald wrote:
I'm considering what my price must be to 'expose' him. Seems stab is in high demand these days Wink

but I wear a disguise on the piste, plus there are a few people where i work with the same name wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stab wrote:
Ronald wrote:

but I wear a disguise on the piste, plus there are a few people where i work with the same name wink

So I get the pretty blonde member of our ski party to run into the shop and ask if there's anybody... ANYBODY that can possibly help her finish building this rad quarterpipe she's started building just by the post office rail... someone will twitch...

Anyhow people. I (finally) had a mysterious reply from the VL saying that, yes, there were some rooms they could offer us a deal on... but as I'd specifically requested beds that could be separated, they weren't going to quote me (as there's couldn't be) unless or until I told them it was something I'd be interested in. Seems at odds with what ElizabethB said about the beds there being separable? Oh well, I've told them to quote me anyway...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can I just press you guys a bit on the main issues with Grindelwald compared with Wengen please? I'm putting together a selection of offers for my group to consider, but all of the Grindelwald ones are cheaper than the Wengen ones. Now, being smarter than the average bear, I realise there has to be a reason why GW is cheaper than W but it might just be that there's more supply in GW, hence cheaper prices. I've heard a mixture of stuff about the place (GW) saying that although it's (obviously, duh!) easier to get to First from there, the comparable trip up to Maennlichen or Scheidegg is an utter nightmare. Is this current news or are there newer lifts making this easier/quicker now? I suspect that it's the case that if we get to the Grund Gondola before 9am we'll be ok, otherwise it'll take ages to get up - is that about the case?

Otherwise it's the train up, which is what? About an hour? Hmmm.... Isn't it the same in Wengen with the maennlichenbahn though? Or has that got greaer uplift and is the whole point that whereas GW is subject to extra visitors (not car free) W doesn't get the pressure, hence fewer crowds?

Murren to me looks too remote... looks like it'd take ages to get anywhere else from up there?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wengen to Mannlichen takes 5 minutes on the cable car - you can walk out of your hotel and be skiing down Mannlichen 10 minutes later. You can't do this in Grindelwald wherever you ski or stay.

Yes, Murren is a bit out on a limb - it's great for a day trip from Wengen but I wouldn't want to spend a week there.

I think your supply theory is probably right. Wengen is small, central and convenient - prices reflect all of these things.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Mike... what, approximately is the equivalent Mannlichen arrival time via the GW Grund gondola? About half an hour?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, The only reasons to base yourself in Grindelwald instead of Wengen is a saving in cost and perhaps a more lively nightlife. The main drawbacks being slow access to the slopes and return at the end of the day and the distance you are from the Murren area which should be visited on one of the days. I think this situation is confirmed by the fact that we do not seem to have many Snowheads who base their selves in Grindelwald.
Going back to the return to Grindelwald at the end of the day from the Mannlichen area you can only get into the main village by bus or train not by ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverman, One of his GW offers is right next to the run down to Grund (along the "pole" section past the camping I think) So end of day return to that place would be nice.

The morning issue stays though. Half an hour to the slopes, using either Mannlichenbahn or train.

For the confused... both the wengen cablecar as the grindelwald gondola live their life as "Mannlichenbahn" (full names translated from german: Aerial cable way Wengen Mannlichen vs Gondola Grindelwald-Grund Mannlichen)

GW advantage is faster access to First, which has a few things wengen lacks (Terain park, the one at bumps isn't build yet afaik). nice slow beginners slope up from Oberjoch. First also generally gets a bit more snow Wink (Firstbahn crowded thing though, unless you are there eaaarly, as well as the GGM)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Gondolas up from Grund get especially busy at weekends due to the big car parks in Grindelwald and they get there early and stay all day during the week however (except during school hols) they're not that bad.

I've always thoght Wengen is a nicer place to come back to at the end of the day Grindelwald is in shadow for much of the day and the runs back to the resort are often icier than those back to Wengen.

One thing that might push you towards Grindelwald would be if you were driving, as chances are in this case you would be able to drive right to your accomodation, unlike Wengen where you need to park in Lauterbrunnen
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I Like the Innerwengen daycloser (It runs 45 minutes past the Lauberhorn lift, 30 minutes past the Arven)

Do a few runs on the slalom, or the easy way around (red run, exiting left from the blue down to wengen)

Been more then once they shut the chairs behind me Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ronald, just don't end up walking back from there in ski boots at the end of the day, it's a long way in hard plastic from Innerwengen to the village, I had to do it once when they had a power failure, not fun wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ronald, If they stay down at Grund then if they wish to ski the Grindelwald slopes this means that they would have catch the bus up or train up to the main village to catch the gondala up to the slopes. Also I assume the Grindelwald night life is up in the main village not down at Grund. It is a 100 metre climb up to Grindelwald from Grund.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf wrote:
Ronald, just don't end up walking back from there in ski boots at the end of the day, it's a long way in hard plastic from Innerwengen to the village, I had to do it once when they had a power failure, not fun wink

Easy one that. Few beers in Mary's, then TAXI!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike, this was a long time ago, back in the days when I think there was only one taxi in the whole village Oh and Marys was closed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="telford_mike"]
Yes, Murren is a bit out on a limb - it's great for a day trip from Wengen but I wouldn't want to spend a week there.
quote]

Sad
snow report
Stop press... mailbox arrival of VERY special offer from VL... jeez... I need to digest this. I think we're being offered a £200+ per week discount per person for 1/2 board. I need to read this when I'm not drunk... which will be quite a few hours from now! toodle pip.
snow report
carled, it pays to be a snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
carled, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
carled, Now aren't you glad you asked your question here Laughing
ski holidays
Carled, I'm not sure about Stab's new club, but there is certainly lots to entertain you and your gang in Grindelwald. I have been going there for about 10 years now and am still not bored of the place. Agreed, the night life is limited, but the apres ski (from about 17.00 - 19.00 up in the mountain bars on the downhill piests) are a good laugh. Finding your way back in the dark with a few beers on can be fun and a headtorch is highly recpmmended.
There are 2 nightclubs that do the normal stuff and stage live music. Beer and food is the same price as it is here, although for some reason winer is really expensive.
The chaps are spot on about uplift time, it does take about 30 mins in all directions from GW, but at least over breakfast in the morning you can choose to do Kleine Scheidegg, Mannlichen or First. There is an ambundance of really good pieste restaurants so you really don't need to come down the hill during the day. The lessons are good too if any of yoiur group fancies improving. If you want to get lessons, go to Buri Sport in GW's high street, they are the best all round for good guys and good deals.
There is one place in town where you have to go if you end up in GW and that Toms Hut. They do the best pizza this side of the Alps, but you might have to book as the place fills up.
The hotels are all good, Swiss service is generally very good, but they are not cheap and don't tend to be that roomy. I stay at the Eiger as it has a great gym and spa which are good for shorter days or if the weather is pants. I also find that it is cheaper to book with Inghams rather than directly, but if you drive over with a couple of people in the car, it does work out just about cheaper to book independently.

If you want to know anything else about GW, ask away.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy