Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles for idiots

Poster: A snowHead
Now then I do feel a bit silly posting this but here we go anyway...

I've got most pieces of kit sorted these days right down, thanks to CEM, to my perennial nightmare ski boots! However the item I still can't seem to get right is goggles, I always found them a pain and in the past avoided using them. These days though I wear them more and more but have problems in certain light conditions 'coz I just have the one set of lenses.

Obviously I know that you can get different lenses etc. for some goggles but being a bit embarrassed by my total ignorance of the subject I've never plucked up the courage to ask down at my local ski shop and show how clueless I am.

So, can anyone provide me with an idiots guide to goggles - you know the sort of thing: which makes do you think are best, what makes sell different coloured lenses with their goggles and which do you have to buy separately and how easy are these to source), where can you get said goggles from etc. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get the ones that fit your face with your helmet on.

How was that for keeping it simple? wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I guess if you don't have a pair of goggles which allows you to change lenses easily then it's best to plump for a pair with a lens which is kind of ok in most conditions. Personally I use a VR28 Lens in Oakley Crowbars but it's a personal thing as everyone's eyes are different. The main problem with lenses is how on earth do you choose the correct ones in a shop?! The light is all artificial and bears no relation to conditions you may experience. The Oakley website gives some good views of what each lens looks like when looking through it (as, I'm sure, do the other manufacturers).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A persimmon (orange looking) lens will do for anything but the sunniest conditions, if you're really that worried get a hi-blue lens for low light and then something like a Blue Iridium for the sunny days.

The best guide I've seen on the web (with apologies for that fact its a commercial site) is here: Goggles Guide
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought Shred Goggles http://www.shredoptics.com/pro1.html for the GF this Christmas and they seem to be just the job. They're reasonaly priced for the quality and they also have a large range of replacement lenses available in a good range of colours. If you like loud retro looking goggles then these are just the ticket.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
krekeg, Cripes! You won't lose her in those! Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the Adidas Yodai goggles - they're not too big on a smaller woman's face and the lenses are interchangeable. This site gives some useful info on the different lenses. http://www.vision3k.com/adidas-ski-goggles.asp I have the orange lens for flat light, which works really well. I also have another lens for sunny days but can never be bothered to change it Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

krekeg, Cripes! You won't lose her in those!

Nope. She has the Nastify pink ones. They're like visual Transceivers!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like my Persimmon Iridium Oakley lenses. Best of both worlds as its good in flat light, but can also cope with sun. Not seen many with this lens however. Got them in Jackson Hole....love them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TK Maxx are selling last years Spy Soldier and Blizzard for £30 in various colours. The blizzard come with a bronze lens and a spare persimmon lens. Bargain considering these were £80 or so last season and damn good goggles.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alex A, I have the Black Iridium persimon Oakley lenses in my O-frames. Darned nice lense!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a set of Spy goggles for 2 years now and they are not bad at all.

I checked out the Spy goggles at TK Maxx but they don't seem to come with a bag or spare lens.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I checked out the Spy goggles at TK Maxx but they don't seem to come with a bag or spare lens.

I guess it depends how quickly after the delivery you get there. I picked up a nice tan pair of blizzards with bag and spare lens before christmas. Smile

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 10-01-08 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me it's the Oakley A Frames with VR28 lens, good all rounder, very comfortable and easier to live with than the Iridiums if you don't want to be too precious about them!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two seasons ago in Neiderau the weather was pretty cloudy and being inexperienced in not having any googles, my sunglasses kept steaming up so I bought a pair of Carrera goggles with a yellowy orange double lens for about 35 euros in the resort (recommended by the shop assistant) and there were absolutely superb, they increased visibility in the dull light, didn't steam up and when I took them off it was an initial shock how grey everything looked.

Last season in La Thuille it was bright blue sky with no clouds all week and the googles made things worse so I resorted to the sunglasses. Once or twice on the lifts if the wind blue up a bit, it made my eyes water. Luckily it wasn't like that when skiing. So this year I thought what if its really sunny but cold and windy? So I bought a pair of dark lensed Snowpro googles in TK Maxx for £12. They're definitely not the coolest looking googles but they actually fit better than the Carrera. I'll find out next month if they're ok or not.
snow report
I've got a pair of these in Silver frames

http://www.birdzeyewear.com/icebird.php

I haven't had much chance to really try them out, but they were relatively inexpensive. I sourced a pair from ebay, but lots of website do them
snow report
Thanks for all the comments guys, some useful recommendations there Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy